The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't care about all these Dwade retirement videos?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could not care less for Golden state. Hopefully we will not be updated during the finals.

I don't expect them to make the finals unless Chris Paul gets hurt again. The rockets have dominated all but 1 game this year against them it's just a very tough matchup for the Warriors.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a "common belief among old time Warrior fans", it's simply common knowledge. There's just no doubt that Sobers did that on purpose and it propelled the upstart Suns over the heavily favored defending champs and on to the next round. As I've gotten older I have less appreciation for the tricks of the game especially when it so clearly impacts the outcome. But at the time, I'll admit that I loved it. And Sobers became one of my favorite players and remained though we traded him away for Don Buse.

I have always assumed he did it on purpose. As an 11 year old kid it seemed unfair, now I don't really feel that way it's just one of those things. Barry was a hot head and I'm surprised more teams didn't do that sort of thing to him and take advantage of it. As a kid I went to the Rick Barry basketball camp 1 year, he was there for 5 minutes at the start, disappeared, and was there for 5 minutes at the end of the weekend. I forget how young I was but I was crushed to find out my hero was a pretty big jerk.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always assumed he did it on purpose. As an 11 year old kid it seemed unfair, now I don't really feel that way it's just one of those things. Barry was a hot head and I'm surprised more teams didn't do that sort of thing to him and take advantage of it. As a kid I went to the Rick Barry basketball camp 1 year, he was there for 5 minutes at the start, disappeared, and was there for 5 minutes at the end of the weekend. I forget how young I was but I was crushed to find out my hero was a pretty big jerk.

Yeah, he definitely was a jerk, but the guy could play. I had some friends over for an All Star game sometime after Barry retired and he was doing color commentary for it. There was a play where one team ran a fast break and the ball-handler took it in instead of hitting the wide open wing trailer. Barry was all over him for not making the pass which cracked all of us up because Rick was as big of a ball hog as there was back then. But still, even for all his faults, he was one of the more entertaining players to watch except for when he put on his whine face. If you haven't seen it, I'm pretty sure Tim Duncan stole it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting perspective on the Harden season and how great Jordan was in his prime. In Jordan's 3rd year, 86-87 he averaged 37.1 PPG. That year for the season he was 12-66 on 3 pointers, only 18%. Harden this year put up 36.1 PPG, 1 shy of Jordan, he made 378 of 1028 3 point attempts(37%). So Harden made 366 more 3's than Jordan did. ALso illustrates how the game has changed Jordan shot 972 FT's that year going to the basket that much, Harden shot 858 FT's this year despite shooting over a 1000 3's.

I'm seeing more and more people pushing Greek Freak for MVP, you can certainly make that case he's a better defender than Harden for sure, but I'd still vote for Harden, he has been unguardable this year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm seeing more and more people pushing Greek Freak for MVP, you can certainly make that case he's a better defender than Harden for sure, but I'd still vote for Harden, he has been unguardable this year.

As good as Giannis has been this year, I think MVP should be Harden's this year. If Harden didn't win last year he'd be a lock right now but it seems like some voters don't like awarding back to back trophies to someone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is insane.

It puts another coach in play if the Suns decide to go a different direction.

The Suns need to make a statement about Kokoskov's future soon. If they are keeping him, he needs a vote of confidence.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More about the Kings shakeup.

Zach Lowe‏Verified account @ZachLowe_NBA

The Kings have also dismissed Chris Clark, their long-time director of media relations, sources say -- to give you an extent of how wide-ranging the upheaval is going to be there today.

9:25 AM - 11 Apr 2019

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are the Kings doing this? They had a pretty good season.

Here is some of what I have read. It appears Divac is consolidating power. I'm not exactly sure why.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Vlade Divac is pushing to consolidate his power as Kings top basketball executive, seriously weighing dismissal of coach Dave Joerger, league sources tell ESPN. Divac/Joerger set for meeting today. Joerger led Kings young core to a 39 win season. He has a year left on deal.

8:09 AM - 11 Apr 2019

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Here is some of what I have read. It appears Divac is consolidating power. I'm not exactly sure why.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Vlade Divac is pushing to consolidate his power as Kings top basketball executive, seriously weighing dismissal of coach Dave Joerger, league sources tell ESPN. Divac/Joerger set for meeting today. Joerger led Kings young core to a 39 win season. He has a year left on deal.

8:09 AM - 11 Apr 2019
He was also over 500 in his 3 seasons as head coach of Memphis prior to joining the Kings (2 season with 50+ wins). His last year with them they wen't 42-40, but his 3 best players missed a combined 70 games.

I feel like his system would translate quite well to the Suns athletic roster and would work even better with the addition of a PG and proper stretch 4. He should certainly be at least a consideration

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was also over 500 in his 3 seasons as head coach of Memphis prior to joining the Kings (2 season with 50+ wins). His last year with them they wen't 42-40, but his 3 best players missed a combined 70 games.

I feel like his system would translate quite well to the Suns athletic roster and would work even better with the addition of a PG and proper stretch 4. He should certainly be at least a consideration

If the Suns should change head coaches Joerger should be at the top of the list for a replacement.

They should mention something about Kokoskov soon one way or the other.

I do want the Suns to keep a defensive focus.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wtf the Kings were the surprise team of the nba this year they had a great year and your firing everybody lol

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't realized they fell off that much at the end but I still think he did a good job there. Interesting to see who replaces him, off that list I think Walton would be a step down.

The same here. I didn't realize the Kings the dropped off this much near the end of the season. Of course it seems like there was some division between those who ran the team. I have to think Divac has a plan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some things don't make sense like J.B. Bickerstaff doing exit interviews.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: J.B. Bickerstaff conducted exit meetings with Grizzlies players today, discussing ways to improve the team and summer expectations — and then went to his own exit meeting with ownership.

1:31 PM - 11 Apr 2019

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And the coaches keep leaving.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: The Cavaliers and head coach Larry Drew have mutually parted ways.

1:57 PM - 11 Apr 2019

That's surprising. I know Drew held out when Ty Lue was fired because he wanted a guaranteed contract beyond the end of the season. If he didn't get that then he wasn't willing to take on the interim title but they worked things out. Looks like he got paid to go away, most likely. As much of a mess the Suns are and have been I don't think we're in as bad of positions as Cleveland and now Sacramento. We'll see how things shake out over the next few weeks. The Suns should be trying to make a deal with the Kings after the lottery takes place though. Our pick for Fox, perhaps even more if they'd include Bagley. See what can be done. Our pick and Jackson for Bagley and Fox? That gives them an out on last draft and if they liked Jackson more than Fox perhaps they Vlade still does? I don't know, Strike while they're confused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard