The 2008-09 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Anyway, this trade will end up being huge for the Lakers. Don't be surprised if one of these two becomes another Trevor Ariza. The Lakers know talent better then any team in the league.

I just love when I'm right. :D

Shannon Brown is an obvious keeper. He's playing great for the Lakers!

Another steal.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a boring game. I don't think I have ever seen Kobe defended so well.

I expect a 12 point win for the Lakers tomorrow.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, this trade will end up being huge for the Lakers. Don't be surprised if one of these two becomes another Trevor Ariza. The Lakers know talent better then any team in the league.

I just love when I'm right. :D

Shannon Brown is an obvious keeper. He's playing great for the Lakers!

Another steal.

The announcers were just talking about what a talent Shannon Brown is and that Mitch Kupchak almost drafted him out of college... :thumbup:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
The announcers were just talking about what a talent Shannon Brown is and that Mitch Kupchak almost drafted him out of college... :thumbup:

Shannon Brown has been quite a surprise. It's going to be tough finding play time for Fisher, Brown and Farmar so it looks like Farmar is the odd man out. Kind of a bummer there, but glad to see Brown playing so well.

Glad the Lakers took care of this series quickly. Ariza and Walton both have injuries that could use a little time to heal. Now lets all just hope Houston holds on and gets rid of Portland so we don't have to play at the Rose Garden in round 2.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Alright, well Houston did us a favor by taking out Portland, now it's time to take them out. Houston will be tough if they decide to use Yao Ming since we have no one that can defend him. Could be a tough series, but if the Lakers can deny Yao the ball and force someone else to take the shots they should be ok. I thnk Yao is a great player, but he's terribly under used so far.

Season Series:

Lakers 4 Rockets 0

The Lakers average 102.8 points per game against Houston, The Rockets average a dismal 89.8ppg against the Lakers. The Lakers shot 40% from behind the 3 point line vs Houston compared to the Rockets 28.4%. Houston also turned the ball over an average of 18.8 times a game to the Lakers 12.3. It will be interesting to see if Houston can reverse their fortune in the playoffs.

Lakers in 5.

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Call me a pessimist, but I'm not happy after tonight. Great, they won and tied the series, but they blew a huge lead in the 1st half and almost let it get away from them. They got a 40 point night from Kobe, and a solid 22 points from Pau, but no one else has yet to show they can step up except for maybe Fisher. Shannon Brown had some nice baskets, Odom had a couple big rebounds when it was close, but to me no one but Pau Fisher or Kobe really looks like they care. Odom has been awful.

I think the advantage is still with Houston because they now have home court until LA takes it back. Overall, it all seems moot because neither of these teams look like they can win a game against Cleveland. Hell, I don't even know if either of these teams can beat the Nuggets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, the Lakers will roll the rest of the games in this series. Win in 5 or 6.

Then win in 5 or 6 against denver.

Same...6 against cleveland at most.

Very anticlimactic.

Yay next Lakers title.

Oh, did I mention the Cards were in the Super Bowl?

Somehow, my excitement is a bit tempered in this playoff run. And no, I have no doubts about the Lakers getting the title. It's foregone, IMO.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Meh, the Lakers will roll the rest of the games in this series. Win in 5 or 6.

Then win in 5 or 6 against denver.

Same...6 against cleveland at most.

Very anticlimactic.

Yay next Lakers title.

Oh, did I mention the Cards were in the Super Bowl?

Somehow, my excitement is a bit tempered in this playoff run. And no, I have no doubts about the Lakers getting the title. It's foregone, IMO.

I sincerely hope you're right Donald. I look forward to that "I told you so." :D

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fish put a great decleater on that dude...lined him up and drilled him like a strong safety.

Must have been hanging out with AW.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want every ESPN headline for the next week to be about "Is the NBA too soft?"

After this freaking baloney about "suspend Kobe??" and "Is Kobe dirty???" garbage...the NBA needs a freaking gutcheck. Are we selling basketball or Girl Scout Cookies...if the cookies, set me up for two boxes of Samoas. If basketball, let's ask Jordan or Bird about rough foul and if an elbow to the chest is "dirty" or if a late game hard foul should get an ejection (unless you are rondo, where you can fishhook a guy, get him stitches and not get more than a foul called). I mean, I don't MIND the Rondo plays if its all called that way...in fact, I prefer it...play hard, no blood no foul and if blood, just a foul not an ejection. But damn, you can't toss Ron for hacking Pau and let Skeltrondo play on after fishhooking a guy at the end of a MUCH closer game and giving him stiches. At least RON had a CHANCE to make a play on the ball.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
What a game for the Lakers. The Nuggets get a stellar game from Carmello as well as the vast majority of the calls and the Lakers still pull out the win. Gasol was big down the stretch after having a very mediocre first 3 quarters. Fisher hit some big shots, Kobe was his usual great self, but the hero of the game is Trevor Ariza for the steal on the inbounds to seal it. Denver's last 3 by Billups shouldn't have counted, he stepped out of bounds, but that was just another of a long series of blown calls in this one. Props to the Lakers for fighting through it and winning the game. This is the most heart I have seen from the Lakers this year. Things looked bad early, Denver was playing great but the Lakers hung in there, chipped away and pulled out a close one.

I might have to change my opinion on Mello though. I have never seen him as a real elite player, but after watching this, I might be forced to change my mind. That guy was flat out ballin' on both ends of the floor the entire game. As someone who loves hustle players, I have to admire Carmello and the heart he showed in this one. Amazing performance.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30th trip to The Finals. Amazing! Kobe: still the best.

Come on, Lakers! 4 more wins. :cheers:

:thewave:

Still the best at what? Being the biggest puddwacker the game has ever seen? Well then, I agree with you...

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
30th trip to The Finals. Amazing! Kobe: still the best.

Come on, Lakers! 4 more wins. :cheers:

:thewave:

Agreed completely. The finals will be tough though, not sure who I want. We beat Cleveland twice, but they would have home court. We would host Orlando, but they beat LA twice during the regular season.

I have to say, I think I would want to play Cleveland. The Magic are a fantastic 3 point shooting team and the Lakers can't defend the 3 to save their lives. I have to say though, based on what I have seen so far this year, whatever team comes from the East SHOULD be the favorite.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
So, you have to wonder..

What do the cry baby conspiracy theorists that said the NBA would make sure the Cavs and Lakers made it to the finals have to say now? Of course, they will have some lame ass weak dick excuse why they still believe it because they are morons.

Anyway, Lakers vs. Magic is the Final and it's pretty much anyones series. The Magic swept the regular season 2-0 behind 28ppg from Jameer Nelson who is out for the year. It's going to be interesting to see what happens, but I'll take Lakers in 6.

Great year either way since while the Lakers are my favorite team, I really dig the Orlando Magic. This years finals is fantastic. Maybe next year LeBron. :D