The 2008-09 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, with the Finals winding down, and a loss to the hated Celtics and their crew of Miracles, all focus is on next year and GETTING the chip this time around. Nobody expected us to be here, but here we were. Next year we come back stronger.

Our first FA signing is Andrew Bynum, a powerful young big, proven shotblocker and second best dunking bigman behind Dwight Howard. Not a bad signing, I must say.

Question marks. How fast do we move Vlad? Do we trade Lamar for a defending or scoring 3, since Pau will move to the 4? How much do we pay Sasha? Do we resign Ronny? Do we have to keep Luke?

My hope...freaking rematch. the 84 and 85 finals all over again.

In the meantime, Team USA is going to be siiiiick.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So, with the Finals winding down, and a loss to the hated Celtics and their crew of Miracles.

Crew of miracles?
Shouldn't it be;
A Can of Ass Whopping?

Once again insert "Big Laugh" here.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offseason starts right....now!

;)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope we stay healthy next year, although I doubt the Gasol trade happens without Bynum getting hurt.

Ariza would have helped a lot more in the playoffs if he had more court time during the year. He did look energized and healthy when he saw some playoff minutes.

Overall - I'm psyched for the future. If Luke Walton wasn't in that future...that'd be cool with me also.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Do we trade Lamar for a defending or scoring 3, since Pau will move to the 4?

Wow, I hope you're just asking this as a general question and not actually backing this notion. That would be one of the biggest mistakes any team could make.

I honestly don't know what the Lakers can do to have a better chance next season, but I don't think a drastic shake up is the place to start. What we need most is a strong backup for Odom. Odom is too inconsistent in the playoffs, but I still wouldn't get rid of him. We wouldn't have gotten as far as we did without him. He's solid, he just needs to learn to avoid foul trouble in the playoffs. Getting rid of him would be a tragic mistake.

The Lakers need to get better on defense and they'll be fine. Good defense trumps good offense every single time. Right now, the Celtics are head and shoulders better then the Lakers. Honestly, I'm not sure there is much of anything the Lakers can do about it. The matchup isn't even close right now, I'm not really seeing how anyone can think we'll beat them next season.

Overall - I'm psyched for the future. If Luke Walton wasn't in that future...that'd be cool with me also.

Agreed 100% I want Walton off this team. He flat out sucks.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haters beware; truth lies within:

By Sam Amico

Pro Basketball News

For the Los Angeles Lakers, a trip to the NBA Finals can hardly be considered a bad thing.

True, they were overmatched for the majority of the series, their dream season reaching an ugly end in a 131-92 spanking at the hands of the world champion Boston Celtics in Game 6.

But this Lakers team was about more than this game, this series, this season. It’s about building a program the right way, learning from the losses, realizing that they’re not that far away from a title of their own.

Like all great franchises, the Lakers have a guy who can carry them when things aren’t clicking, a man with era-defining talent and unmatched drive. And now, Kobe Bryant is at the pinnacle of his career and surrounded by a more-than-capable cast.

So about 0.2 seconds after the Celtics claimed their 17th banner, and Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Finals MVP Paul Pierce were fitted for championship rings, the Lakers were No. 1 again. At least, they’re No. 1 in the West heading into next season, which begins right now.

Obviously, the pain of defeat, and losing their final game of the year in the manner in which they did, will linger.

Then training camp will arrive.

Then injured center Andrew Bynum will return, joining Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom to form the best frontcourt in pro basketball.

Then youngsters like Sasha Vujacic, Jordan Farmar and Ronny Turiaf will enter the season after having experienced a Finals for the first time.

Then veterans like Bryant and Derek Fisher, and Coach Phil Jackson, will be as hungry as ever. All will be aiming to prove that the sting from such a nasty last-game defeat can only help you grow.

None of this is an earth-shattering proclamation, as most people who reach this level enter the upcoming season with a renewed sense of hope, a belief that something truly special is in store. But no one has the right to feel as confident as L.A.

A lot of NBA analysts considered this year’s Lakers to be a power. They have a Hall of Fame coach in Jackson, one of the greatest players of all time in Bryant, and a foreigner with frightening skills in Gasol. And that’s all great.

But dig a little deeper than that and you’ll see the Lakers are a relatively average bunch. Or at least they were on paper.

Fisher is far from a genuine point guard, as he’s never been one of those playmakers who directs the offense or makes setting up teammates his life’s purpose. Odom is very good, a borderline All-Star even -- but he won't exactly ring up any memories of James Worthy. And Vladimir Radmanovic can really shoot, but sometimes, it’s easy to forget he’s even on the floor.

As for everyone else, well, you never really knew what you were gonna get.

That’s not meant to belittle the Lakers’ role players. It’s just intended to show that, when you really look at this team, nobody outside of Bryant ever needs to be the focus of your defense. Basically, nobody outside of Bryant has consistently proven he can beat you.

So when you really look at this team, you’ll see that this was Jackson’s greatest coaching job to not end in a title – and more importantly for the Lakers, Bryant’s greatest season as an individual and as a teammate. He’s matured into the type of veteran who understands that it should only be about him when the need calls for it, and he’s smart enough to determine the very moment such a situation arises.

Both the coach and star spent the entire year making believers out of guys who had little reason to believe, and instilling passion in players who occasionally did just enough to get by, and little else.

Yes, the midseason steal of a deal for Gasol helped considerably. But it’s how the Lakers came together after the trade that was really impressive.

Are they champions? No, not today. Can they take pride in what they were able to accomplish this season? Absolutely, but of course, that’s never enough.

Is there reason to believe that things can be even better next year and beyond?

No doubt about it.

And that truth should be enough for the Lakers to spend the summer thinking, “Hey, it’s all gonna be alright.”

And there's sure nothing bad about that.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of that. I'm very happy about the year we had, and where we sit in the West. The Lakers are by far the best team in the west, I don't think anyone else can even compete. The closest is the Hornets, but with our entire team being healthy, it's a pretty sizable gap.

My concern isn't the West, my concern is Boston. They are WAY better then the Lakers and I simply don't see how the Lakers plan to close that gap.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad the Lakers lost. I hate that it wasn't competitive.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
So, with the Finals winding down, and a loss to the hated Celtics and their crew of Miracles, all focus is on next year and GETTING the chip this time around. Nobody expected us to be here, but here we were. Next year we come back stronger.

Our first FA signing is Andrew Bynum, a powerful young big, proven shotblocker and *third* best dunking bigman behind Dwight Howard *and amare stoudemire*. Not a bad signing, I must say.

Question marks. How fast do we move Vlad? Do we trade Lamar for a defending or scoring 3, since Pau will move to the 4? How much do we pay Sasha? Do we resign Ronny? Do we have to keep Luke?

FTFY

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will Donald and Abomb make the trip for the hanging of the banner?

;)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will Donald and Abomb make the trip for the hanging of the banner?

;)

The P&G dont hang Western Conference Champs banners or have parades for second place like some teams.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LA Times: Lakers Exit Interviews (Day 1)

Trevor Ariza
He missed a large chunk of the season with a broken right foot before finally seeing some select minutes in the NBA Finals.

Ariza has an opt-out clause in his contract, but said he will return to the Lakers, calling it a dream to play in the city where he grew up.

"They told me this is a good place for me, that I fit in really well," Ariza said.

Ariza said he experienced no pain in his foot during the playoffs, but has an MRI scheduled Monday as a precaution to see how it reacted to playing time.

This summer, he said he will focus on handling the ball and shooting and trying to add 10 pounds.

Next season, he will change jersey numbers from No. 3 to No. 1.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."

LOL....let's get us some GOLD, USA!!!

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Our first FA signing is Andrew Bynum, a powerful young big, proven shotblocker and second best dunking bigman behind Dwight Howard. Not a bad signing, I must say.

Did you really just call Bynum proven???? Better than Amare???? The kid played well.. not great, and only started 25 games (played in only 35) and you call him 2nd best... wow, take off the Laker love blinders and get real.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you really just call Bynum proven???? Better than Amare???? The kid played well.. not great, and only started 25 games (played in only 35) and you call him 2nd best... wow, take off the Laker love blinders and get real.

Proven shotblocker, as yes...he's proven that he can block shots. 2nd best dunker, as in he was behind Dwight in total dunks when he went down. http://garbagepoints.blogspot.com/2008/01/n.html

Wow, take a look at the stats and relax.

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Proven shotblocker, as yes...he's proven that he can block shots. 2nd best dunker, as in he was behind Dwight in total dunks when he went down. http://garbagepoints.blogspot.com/2008/01/n.html

Wow, take a look at the stats and relax.

I'm relaxed.
I believe he needs to be consistant for at least a season before you should call him proven, not 35 games.

You called him the "second best dunking bigman behind Dwight Howard". Excuse me for reading that to mean you calling him the "second best dunking bigman behind Dwight Howard". How was I supposed to know you meant only over a 35 game period in one season. Again, let's see what he does for a season before we start making such claims.

I like Bynum and think he may be a very good center in the future, but he isn't yet and he's proven nothing until he proves his play consistant.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have said "second most dunking."

I don't need to see him to it for a season...he was over 2 bpg in that 35 game stretch. He's a bonafide shotblocker, per my eyes confirmation. Something the Lakers desperately need.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I agree that Bynum is still not proven. I am optimistic about him, I think he has all the potential in the world, and I think he makes the Lakers better as a team. Personally though, I'm going to wait though till he has a full and consistent season before I start comparing him to other players in the league.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Wow.. I just saw the clip of Shaq's "Rap" on the news and I just can't stop laughing.

Shaq is such a pile of crap, he's a perfect fit for the cry baby Phoenix Suns. Saying Kobe couldn't win cause he wasn't there? is that a ****ing joke? Look at the team he was there for, they won a whole 1 playoff game. Yeah, Shaq is the man, that's hilarious. He's not even one of the best 20 players in the game and he's ripping on the MVP and the best player in the game today. I couldn't even get angry over it, it was just so damn funny.

Man Phoenix proved how stupid they are by taking that tub of crap. $20 million a year and all he can do is run his fat mouth. He's the ultimate Sun. :lol: