Terrero sent down is wrong!

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only way to justify this move today is to play Finley and Bautista in hopes of showcasing them for trades. They should have put Gonzo under the knife, stuck Bautista in LF, and kept Terrero playing everyday in RF. That would assume we have a GM who knows what he is doing, which we obviosuly don't have! Nice move, Jr.!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Dave64 said:
The only way to justify this move today is to play Finley and Bautista in hopes of showcasing them for trades. They should have put Gonzo under the knife, stuck Bautista in LF, and kept Terrero playing everyday in RF. That would assume we have a GM who knows what he is doing, which we obviosuly don't have! Nice move, Jr.!

Well that would be the idea ... raise the value of those on the trade blocks and allow him to play every day at the AAA level. Its pointless to keep him up here if he's not going to get any at bats.

OP
OP
D

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think they should keep playing Finley and Bautista, but why in the world is Gonzo still playing? He better be ready for ST or else he is being very selfish right now!

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'm glad they made the move promptly - while I agree Gonzo may as well just go get the elbow done tomorrow, given the reality - showcasing Fins and Danny, let Gonzo take a tour - better Terrero gets to play every day. Sidewinder's manager rather outspokenly said that being up here sitting on the bench and just hitting BP balls totally messed up DeVore's natural swing, and that he's just now getting it back, with much work and coaching.
Terrero will be back real soon.

OP
OP
D

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why should Gonzo take a tour at the possible expense of next season. Any first grader could understand that Gonzo should have had TJ surgery a month ago. This is not difficult. This season is a waste. Joe Jr. needed to be a man and go to Gonzo and tell him to shut it down for the good of next year's team. Joe Jr. needs to get some balls!

burndoggy

Veteran
Reaction score
the only think that has kept me interested in watching dbacks game lately was terrero. i know he is very in mature at this point in his career but the kid can hit. lets face it the only thing we dback fans have left this year is watching unit pitch and our rookies develop. personally i cant wait until september call ups.i want to see marland williams run, i hear he is the fastest guy in baseball period.thats proably a little exaggerated but thats what i have read,i also want to see carlos q. connor jackson, and chris snyder our stud aa catcher.im sure the brass upstairs wont rush these guys up but it would get me to buy tickets.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Dave64 said:

You can't raise their value much more. Trade 'em while their hot. Fins and Danny are, so get rid of them ASAP, In my opinion.

I'm glad Gonzos stopping on the first.

Terrero, Tracy, and Kata? in the outfield? :shrug:

AZZenny

Reaction score
I doubt you'll see Marland Williams, Conor, Carlos, etc in Sept call-ups. That is premature, and would waste an option year, cost the team about $50-60K each in extra expenses, start the players off in an empty stadium with defeated teammates and fans - it would accomplish nothing positive for the players or the team. If they really do that, management should be horsewhipped. But they probably should be anyhow, just on principle.
More likely you'll see them all in AZ Fall League.

OP
OP
D

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good points. It is probably better to not expose these studs to the terrible environment now. I agree!

burndoggy

Veteran
Reaction score
youre proably right. however i believe september call ups dont count as an option .also youre going to have the extra expense no matter who you call up.i agree all the above mentioned will be in the az fall league.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tererro will most definitly get called up when Gonzo hits the DL in two weeks. Then Tererro will be the everyday LF.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Sept call-ups do count as an option year, I checked. That, plus the added expense, is why fewer teams are using Sept to reward top minor leaguers or show them off unless they can either really help, or are really auditioning.

AZZenny

Reaction score
By the same token, calling up Lance Cormier is wrong. This guy has very good potential, I think, but he has a lot to work on, and should do it at Triple-A. For Pedrique to say "We need to find out if he can pitch at this level, if he's ready," is totally dumb. We KNOW he's not ready! We saw that a couple weeks ago! Up here he'll just get repeatedly butchered. Better to just finish destroying Daigle and maybe offer up Gosling as a ritual sacrifice. He's probably not going to amount to as much as initially hoped, so no great loss if he fails, and super if he rises to the occasion.

Speaking of sacrifice - perhap Cormier should slaughter a live chicken on the mound right before the game tonight to get some run support. Although as mgjohn has said elsewhere, he'd have to bite the head off the chicken to get his teammate's attention.
:shock: That would work for me.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Sept call-ups do count as an option year, I checked.
I'm not sure what you mean by that statement.

A call-up is not an option. The option occurs when you are sent down. Since neither Jackson nor Quentin are right now on the 40 man roster, They are not optioned at this point. So if they come up in September, they are on the roster and they've never been optioned. What will happen if they are called up is they have to be added to the 40 man roster, which means someone else would have to be dropped.

The reason they won't be called up is that once on the 40 man, they cannot be dropped. And what will happen then is that next year they would have to be optioned if they were not kept on the 25 man roster. So next year you have burned an option year that was not required.

They were both drafted in 2003. That means that they do not need to be added to the 40 man roster until after the 2005 season. You really don't want to put someone on the 40 man roster a year early and use an option, because if, for some reason, the player does struggle, then you've lost part of the time you are allowed to hold him.

You also, BTW lose a year to free agency down the line.

To recap - you have a guy 19 and older for 3 years before he must be added to the 40 man roster. Then you have 3 option years before he must stay on the 25 man roster, then you have 6 full years of major league service. If you put a guy on the 40 man roster 2 years before his time (which you would be doing you add 30 days major league service time + loss of an option year which sets up the chance to lose him to free agency at least 1 year before you have to.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Right - I meant that it kicks off the clock, that it's not a meaningless act to call them up in Sept. I should have said a Sept call-up counts against the player's option years. I do appreciate the refresher - I always get a little fuzzy on the details.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Right - I meant that it kicks off the clock, that it's not a meaningless act to call them up in Sept. I should have said a Sept call-up counts against the player's option years. I do appreciate the refresher - I always get a little fuzzy on the details.
Options are probably one of the least understood area of the rules. I constantly notice that baseball writers get confused between players being optioned and designated for assignment. Most do not understand the implications of a lot of roster moves, which are more than just being waived or not. Lots of "down the road" ways that roster moves can hurt you.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Stephen Randolph will get a start this homerstand (oops - typo, really. Besides, he gives up walks more than long ball.)
And bringing Mike Gosling up for a run is apparently being seriously discussed - presumably Fossum and Cormier, or Cormier and Gonzalez, or all three, will go bother Tucson, which finally broke .500. Time to disrupt them again, No?

Gosling has indeed been pitching a little better, although still really inconsistent. His ERA is down to 5.61 in 136 innings, and roughly 1.6 K per BB. Is he 'ready'? No way! But don't let that stop ya! I would think they might let Good have another romp, too - why the heck not? If we're so into 'trying out the youngsters' why is Q in the outfield instead of DeVore or maybe bring Noochie Varner for a look(OPS .841, 1 BB:1.5K) - could they be (OMIGOD :shock: ) considering signing Q to another 2-year contract?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I don't mind bringing Gosling up. If he's not ready now, he probably won't ever be. Drafted out of Stanford he was supposed to be very polished, maybe only needing a year or so in the minors. He's struggled lately, since his surgury, and may never get on track.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
NJYAJ09 said:
Stephen Randolph does NOT deserve a start.

And Sparks, Reynolds, etc. do? Randolph as we all know has serious control problems as a reliever. But on the other hand hitters are batting sub-Mendoza against him. Who knows, maybe his turn as a starter will result in less overthrowing and better command. Or maybe he will continue give up a ton of walks and get pounded. At this point there's no harm in trying especially because we're basically in extended Spring Training with all possiblly ready players getting a 'try-out'.

In case anyone was wondering, in 2002 a 28 yr. old Randolph was given a whole year to start in Tucson and here were his stats.

IP - 163.1
W/L - 15-7
ERA - 3.47
BB - 81
K - 129
WHIP - 1.42

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NJYAJ09 said:
RJ, Webb, Dessens, Fossum, Good

I don't ever want to see Good start again, the guy stinks as a starter. I hate watching Fossum pitch, this guy is horrible this year. Gosling has pitched better in the second half and I would not mind seeing him pitch. I don't think Randolph is the answer. He'll probably come close to throwing double-digit walks in one game.

Why do people hate Q? Q has done very well since he has been here. Watching Devore so far, I just don't see him beng a major league player. I also don't think Olson should be here.

Out of all the rookies I think only Tracy, Terrero and Hairston can contribute a lot next year. After watching Terrero, I hope they don't go after Finley next year. Terrero is young and will only get better. I enjoy watching him hustle on everything. He does not go half-ass down the line when he hits a grounder.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I don't 'hate' Q - but I don't think he's worth $1.75 M, and I'll be vexed if they sign him to a multi-year contract or an extension at anything remotely near that amount.

It just seems like a real inconsistency to me. If we are having tryouts - why not just have tryouts? If we know DeVore isn't in the future then send the guy to Tucson, and bring up Varner for a shot, but then let the kid play, not sit on the bench.

And while I agree Good is much better as a reliever (like ERA over 17 as a starter and around 3.5 as a reliever - but only started two games) his overall numbers are better than Fossum, Cormier, and Gonzalez in terms of BB:K, homers, ERA. I mean, it's a lost cause anyhow, so I guess it doesn't matter.