Tell me about John Brown

Dflo

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm trying to do some homework on the long term status of John Brown.

1. Is he the #1, #2, or #3 WR in this offense?

2. Usually WRs tend to blow up in their 3rd year in the NFL - do you expect a significant increase in production in year 3? What kind of statline do you see him putting up?

3. How does Michael Floyd affect John Brown's production?

4. Do the Cards expect to re-sign either of Floyd or Fitz after their contracts expire at the end of the upcoming season?

5. Is there anything else that the general fanbase might not know about him?

Reign Blood

Tattooed Hundredaire
Reaction score
IMO the answer to all the questions lie on Fitz. Indeed the Cards have prepared for his retirement so the year has to play out and let the smoke clear.

Any player in a contract year will bring out the best. One thing I can tell you is the Cards are all in on a SB run this year...of course.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think he's more of a #2. Physically he will lose matchups against the more physical CBs.

JB is a space player who uses his speed to get open, not a receiver that could outmuscle the ball or physically get open and grab the ball. He's a complement receiver. His catches are body catches, not hand catches.

I like the #1 receiver to be physically intimidating, over 6' and 200+ lbs with big hands.

Floyd is a number 1, Fitz was a number 1

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think his progress has been limited. His season seems a mixture of strong games and disappearances. More of the vanishings seem to come late in the season. Likely this is a durability issue where he simply wears down. I don't ever see him as a number 1. He and JJ combine to make a decent number 3.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
He and JJ combine to make a decent number 3.
That combo would make it a 1302 yards and 9 TDs #3 WR. I would take that!! :)

Brown is a good #2 WR. The perfect complimentary WR to stretch the field opposite a more powerful #1 WR.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will be #2 or #3. Him and floyd are both deep threats. I expect the two of them to trade off big games similar to last year.

If you are asking because of fantasy, either one will do. They will both win a game for you and then dissapoint you another week because we have so many options at WR. Palmer is a great fantasy QB but the WRs will be boom or bust each week.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
John Brown's ceiling is Marvin Harrison. That is John Brown in a nutshell. He could be a #1 in some offenses, and could be the #1 in Arizona sooner than later.

Determining stats, and if Michael Floyd effects John Brown's numbers is a fools game, in a Bruce Arians offense. If John Brown gets open and catches the balls thrown to him, that will dictate how much he gets the ball and his numbers more than who is on the field with him, and what year he is in.

Michael Floyd is going to be gone next year. The Cardinals will not, and should not pay top dollar for him, but someone will. Fitzgerald will be back as long as he wants to be back. Getting a big bodied, possession receiver to replace Floyd will not be much of a problem in this day and age of the NFL.

Finally, John Brown is known for his speed, but his route running is pretty damn impressive, almost as impressive as his ridiculous speed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
John Brown's ceiling is Antonio Brown. I don't think we have enough information to say that he's not good enough to be a #1, and I say this as a huge Michael Floyd fan. He was the fifth-most efficient receiver in the NFL last year, according to Football Outsiders.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His biggest issue is health. He seems to always have some minor leg issue that he can play through to a point and then has a few slow games and then comes back. He seems more impacted by that than any other WR we have because he's a speed guy.

Can be a terrific Wr but to be a #1 he's going to have to get to where he can play every week and be a factor. They do tend to do a very good job of using him as a decoy too so some of his off days are dictated by that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
His biggest issue is health. He seems to always have some minor leg issue that he can play through to a point and then has a few slow games and then comes back. He seems more impacted by that than any other WR we have because he's a speed guy.

Can be a terrific Wr but to be a #1 he's going to have to get to where he can play every week and be a factor. They do tend to do a very good job of using him as a decoy too so some of his off days are dictated by that.

John Brown was on the injury list for like 7 weeks last year, but his rookie season he was probable for 3 weeks, and one was "Dental."

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
John Brown's ceiling is Antonio Brown. I don't think we have enough information to say that he's not good enough to be a #1, and I say this as a huge Michael Floyd fan. He was the fifth-most efficient receiver in the NFL last year, according to Football Outsiders.

Never thought I would see the day K9 is more optimistic about a Cardinals player not named Jim Dray than myself.

That is some high praise you are throwing John Brown's way.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
John Brown's ceiling is Marvin Harrison. That is John Brown in a nutshell. He could be a #1 in some offenses, and could be the #1 in Arizona sooner than later.

Determining stats, and if Michael Floyd effects John Brown's numbers is a fools game, in a Bruce Arians offense. If John Brown gets open and catches the balls thrown to him, that will dictate how much he gets the ball and his numbers more than who is on the field with him, and what year he is in.

Michael Floyd is going to be gone next year. The Cardinals will not, and should not pay top dollar for him, but someone will. Fitzgerald will be back as long as he wants to be back. Getting a big bodied, possession receiver to replace Floyd will not be much of a problem in this day and age of the NFL.

Finally, John Brown is known for his speed, but his route running is pretty damn impressive, almost as impressive as his ridiculous speed.
"Floyd will be gone next year"... really Mr. Keim, thanks for posting here man :D

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well I disagree, I think we should let fitz go and resign Floyd. I know fitz has been face of the franchise etc, but he has 2 good years left in him at best. Getting a big receiver replacement for Floyd I think may be difficult, and with Palmers career nearly over we don't have time to train someone else.

Of the big 5 free agents next year, Mathieu, Floyd and Jones - if he performs this year - are the 3 that we need to resign. Calais and Fitz should be the ones to go just because of their age. I know fans don't want them to go, but it is a business.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did not realize how identical they are built. I always assumed Antonio was bigger than he is, so that does appear to be a good potential ceiling comparison.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I disagree, I think we should let fitz go and resign Floyd. I know fitz has been face of the franchise etc, but he has 2 good years left in him at best. Getting a big receiver replacement for Floyd I think may be difficult, and with Palmers career nearly over we don't have time to train someone else.

Of the big 5 free agents next year, Mathieu, Floyd and Jones - if he performs this year - are the 3 that we need to resign. Calais and Fitz should be the ones to go just because of their age. I know fans don't want them to go, but it is a business.

No way, Fitz could play at another 3-5 years like he is now. I am not sure Floyd could match that production over that same time. Too many mental lapses and he is get banged up from time to time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Brown was on the injury list for like 7 weeks last year, but his rookie season he was probable for 3 weeks, and one was "Dental."

I haven't looked but I'm guessing most of those 9 injuries were leg related.

I love the kid I'm just saying that is the concern for him, he's got to figure out how to keep his legs going for 16 games because that's the biggest part of his game right now is speed. He is far from the first football player to have that issue and many of them have overcome it, I hope he can too.

Last year it seemed to be hamstrings which is always a huge concern for me. We actually sort of lucked out in that he played the whole year save 1 game and probably could have played that one if we needed him(it was the game before the bye so they gave him 2 full weeks off).

I guess the concerns on him before the draft were mostly size related, level of competition, and age(he was 24) so he didn't seem to have a history of leg injuries in college.

he's missed one game in 2 years but there have been several where he was clearly limited, most of them last year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
John Brown should be off the board by the time you pick in your fantasy league.

I hope so. I love John Brown, but the structure of the offense limits his production in a fantasy league, at least while he's sharing the ball with Fitz and Floyd. I'm not sure he's a Top 12 fantasy receiver.

Never thought I would see the day K9 is more optimistic about a Cardinals player not named Jim Dray than myself.

That is some high praise you are throwing John Brown's way.

His ceiling is Antonio Brown. I'd guess he ends up—if he moves into a #1 job—like T.Y. Hilton. Not a bad place to be.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I can't imagine they re-sign Floyd unless he shows up to play in 14 games. Nobody hits them all but Floyd needs to impact more games.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can't imagine they re-sign Floyd unless he shows up to play in 14 games. Nobody hits them all but Floyd needs to impact more games.

Yeah, the fact that he's going into the final year of his contract and there's not even the slightest amount of buzz about the Cardinals wanting to meet with his agent and work out a deal - tells you they still have no idea who Floyd is and they're hoping one more year will help them figure it out.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think HB and Jones are 1A and 1B for a new contract though one could be Franchised for a year. Floyd to me is an enigma. Some games he looks like a prefect replacement for Fitz and then others he makes you wonder how he was picked in the first round. I think the guy has concentration issues. When his head is right he has good games and then others where he just seems to go through the motions. We have all seen more than once where he cuts a pattern short or doesn't run it out because he doesn't think the ball his coming his way and then boom, there is the ball and Floyd is not where he is suppose to be.