Superman Returns

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just announced:

Bryan Singer (X-Men 1 and 2) is on board to direct the next Superman film.

"My interest in Superman dates back many, many years," Singer said. "In fact, it was the Richard Donner classic film that was my day-to-day inspiration in shaping the X-Men universe for the screen. I feel that Superman has been late in his return and it is time for him to fly again."

Unfortunately, it's also being reported that Singer won't be a part of X-Men 3, even though he's under contract through Fox.

The script was to deal with Superman and Lex Luthor and some being from Krypton...but Singer said he has a different direction in mind.

Supposed to begin filming in Australia sometime soon, with a reported budget of $200 million.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
The script was to deal with Superman and Lex Luthor and some being from Krypton...but Singer said he has a different direction in mind.
I hope thats a polite way of saying "piss-on-the-script-I-want-another!"

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original Superman is the first movie that I remember ever seeing on the big screen. Watched it in a drive-in theater - mom took me. Had a blast and loved it.

shawn

Djaughe

Reaction score
FischerKing said:
The original Superman is the first movie that I remember ever seeing on the big screen. Watched it in a drive-in theater - mom took me. Had a blast and loved it.

shawn
Drive-in theaters are so awesome!!! Too bad their a dying thing....I remember when we would pack up the lawn chairs, cooler, and pizza! Nothing like seeing a flick under the night sky!

lol...I remember my first drive-in as a little kid we walked over and sat on the rail watching friday the 13th....when it was over we got freaked out walking back in the desert and ran home....ahhh good times...

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Singer's "interest" is good news for the film. Maybe it'll help sign a lead actor?

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i had the cash i would open a drive-in in Alaska. work 6 months straight out the year and then take 6 months off. :D

shawn

Djaughe

Reaction score
Pariah said:
Singer's "interest" is good news for the film. Maybe it'll help sign a lead actor?
As long as it isn't jude law! :D

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think he's that great of an actor but I think the Smallville guy looks like Superman...

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It should be a guy almost every guy would like to look like and I wouldn't mind looking like him... Jude Law? He looks a little stange to me...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Joblo.com:

Lois Lane: 4 actresses up for the role...top of that pack is Evangeline Lilly, who has been in auditions for the part for the past few weeks. She's the star of ABC's current hit series "Lost". Lilly stars as Kate, the mysterious and sexy former criminal stuck on the island. The 25-year-old actress started as a Ford model and segued into acting, though "Lost" has been her only major part. The other three actresses up for the part of Lois Lane are "name" actresses with the current debate being whether to cast the unknown (Lilly) or a more recognizable actress to offset the newcomer Brandon Routh as Superman.

Attachments

• lilly.jpg
    lilly.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 220

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Damn I would much rather had Tom Welling...I also like a Superman with blue eyes... I hate these Directors that have to have it totally "their" way... Tom Welling was an unknown until just a few years ago and he's definitely a guy I wouldn't mind looking like and makes me want to be Superman...this guy...ehhh...

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Routh ends up with blue eyes in the film. In fact, I'd bet on it. My concern right now is with his build. I hope they can bulk him up for the movie--that was always my beef with Reeves as Superman, too. He looked too skinny to me (I know he was a big guy and all, I just envision superman as being pretty muscley).

Lilly would be a great Lois Lane, IMO. Or, Kate Beckinsale (who Lilly looks a lot like, IMO). Grrrr.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon Routh Confirmed as Superman

Source: Variety
October 20, 2004

While Latino Review broke the news last weekend, the Hollywood trades have confirmed with their sources that relative unknown actor Brandon Routh will be taking on the title role in Warner Bros. Pictures' Superman. Director Bryan Singer and crew are headed to Australia next month to begin production.

Routh's credits include One Life to Live, Gilmore Girls, Will & Grace and Cold Case. He recently wrapped his first feature role in Deadly, starring opposite That '70s Show star Laura Prepon.

Meanwhile, the Chicago Sun-Times says that the film's screenwriter, Dan Harris, revealed new details about the plot.

"He'll begin in his late 20s. He lost his powers in 'Superman 2' and now he has the powers back. But something has happened because he's been away for a long time," says Harris. "We're taking off from the first two Superman films with Christopher Reeve. We use his history and then move on with big twists and great special effects.

He adds that they are "not going to do the origin story again. Our view is if you're over 25 years old, then you've seen the Reeve films and that's Superman to you. If you're under 25, then you watch TV's 'Smallville,' and that's Superman to you."

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like this choice at all...maybe he'll work out, but I watch Gilmore Girls with my wife, and he seemed more like a skinny punk kid than Superman....

Bring on Tom Welling, even if he isn't the greatest actor in the world...

HOWEVER, Kate as Lois Lane...NICE!

:thumbup:

Mike

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This kid's list of credits makes him about as qualified to play Superman as I am qualified to perform brain surgery. But heck, at least it ain't Ashton Kutchner *shudder*

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I don't like this choice at all...

Mike

From the beginning he's wanted to cast an unknown. Hopefully it works out. Reeve (then 25 himself) was relatively unknown when he got the role in the 1978 Superman movie. I think Singer wants to recapture that feel for this film.

One good thing - it seems the screenwriter wants to skip right over Superman 3 and 4 like they never happened. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
This kid's list of credits makes him about as qualified to play Superman as I am qualified to perform brain surgery. But heck, at least it ain't Ashton Kutchner *shudder*

just remember how many people flipped out when they heard unknown actor Hugh Jackman was going to play Wolverine.

Anyone who can cast and direct the masterpiece - The Usual Suspects and two of the better comic book movies, X and X2, IMO should be given the benefit of the doubt at this point.

It absolutely should be an unknown and I applaud Singer for going this route - it shouldn't be Nic Cage playing Superman, or Jesus Christ playing Superman or Jude Law playing Superman - we should just be able to look at the screen and SEE SUPERMAN. With Singer on board and with word that it's not going to be a revamping of the origin story AND that he will be using John Williams' original score - I have every confidence that this movie is going to be what all of us want - fantastic.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
just remember how many people flipped out when they heard unknown actor Hugh Jackman was going to play Wolverine.

Anyone who can cast and direct the masterpiece - The Usual Suspects and two of the better comic book movies, X and X2, IMO should be given the benefit of the doubt at this point.

It absolutely should be an unknown and I applaud Singer for going this route - it shouldn't be Nic Cage playing Superman, or Jesus Christ playing Superman or Jude Law playing Superman - we should just be able to look at the screen and SEE SUPERMAN. With Singer on board and with word that it's not going to be a revamping of the origin story AND that he will be using John Williams' original score - I have every confidence that this movie is going to be what all of us want - fantastic.

good answer, now I'm sort of excited to see where this goes...

Mike

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard