Suns vs Spurs 7:30 ESPN FSN AZ

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Blow the team up in the off season. Fire DA.

Use the draft picks to rebuild a solid team... oh, wait...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think you read it right....Suns are top 10 in payroll.

CASE CLOSED

let me ask you this, since the Cardinals always spend to the cap, does that mean the Bidwills aren't cheap either?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ronjo Rondo would have looked nice off the bench right about now

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Tony Parker makes Nash look slow and old. Just saying... Plus their Centers made Shaq look old and slow....

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
jesus man, I don't begrudge your opinion. people have different definitions of what cheap is and personally, I think valuing money at the expense of winning is cheap, even with a top ten payroll.

but hey, if it makes you feel better to say the above, be my guest.

Well jeesh dude...Does Sarver have to be number one in payroll to lose some tightwad image? Get a prespective already.

He cant keep every player can he?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What's common there?

Two bad coaches.

Barkley made Westphal look good.

Nash made D'Antoni look good.

Both players started to get old, coaches exposed.

Also both coaches are/were players coaches who ran a loose ship and made no committment to defense.
It's really too bad that we assembled two excellent teams only to pair them with paper doll coaches.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well jeesh dude...Does Sarver have to be number one in payroll to lose some tightwad image? Get a prespective already.

He cant keep every player can he?

i just think when a team is number one in revenue and is a championship contender, getting rid of assets that you're team NEEDS to win a championship in order to save money shows a value of one over the other. And actually, he can keep as many players as he wants as he long he wants to pay for them.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Also both coaches are/were players coaches who ran a loose ship and made no committment to defense.
It's really too bad that we assembled two excellent teams only to pair them with paper doll coaches.

Just sad. Think what a coach like Popovich would do with this team.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
What a waste of talent. We have had so much talent during both runs. You put a coach like Pop or Jackson, we might have had 2-3 championships by now.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
based on what? Valuing money over winning? Birds of a feather as far as i'm concerned.

Bidiwll's Cardinals have made the playoffs one or twice in the last 20 years....I guess you're pretty young and dont have the history with the Cards.

If you think Sarver and Bidwill are "birds of a feather"...there isnt much to discuss.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bidiwll's Cardinals have made the playoffs one or twice in the last 20 years....I guess you're pretty young and dont have the history with the Cards.

If you think Sarver and Bidwill are "birds of a feather"...there isnt much to discuss.

But I thought it was all about PAYROLL! CASE CLOSED!

See, there's a thing called nuance. You point to winning as proof that the Bidwills suck but I point to putting money over winning and you just point to payroll. Seems a bit hypocritcal to me. Birds of a feather as far as I'm concerned. but you're right. there's nothing to discuss. it's simply a difference of opinion. i don't even think you're necessarily wrong. i just think we have different definitions of what makes a good owner. but hey, if you've got to make a statement that you're right to "win" the discussion, well, you've already done that so why bother anymore.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

See, there's a thing called nuance. You point to winning as proof that the Bidwills suck but I point to putting money over winning and you just point to payroll. Seems a bit hypocritcal to me. Birds of a feather as far as I'm concerned. but you're right. there's nothing to discuss. it's simply a difference of opinion. i don't even think you're necessarily wrong. i just think we have different definitions of what makes a good owner. but hey, if you've got to make a statement that you're right to "win" the discussion, well, you've already done that so why bother anymore.

One of your points is Sarver didnt keep Kurt....but he brought in Shaq!! How many overpriced centers can one team afford??

The Suns have about as much talent as a team can buy...give it up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of your points is Sarver didnt keep Kurt....but he brought in Shaq!! How many overpriced centers can one team afford??

The Suns have about as much talent as a team can buy...give it up.

they have an 8 man roster with 4 guys who literally can't even be on the court. that's as much talent as a team can buy? I disagree. it's okay to say agree to disagree. there doesn't always have to be a right and wrong in a discussion man.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Winning and Losing never comes down to just one person, owner -coach or player...
Look at the Spurs... The Patriots... It's a combination of it all... Popovich seems to get what he needs and then makes the absolute most of it. Has D'Antoni always received what he needs or wants? Who knows..

One thing is for sure. The Suns have never had championship talent. And now more than ever, that fact is abundantly clear...

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

You and az1965 have posted the essential and incontrovertible truth that I have quite frankly been preaching on phxsuns.net for the better part of the last few years. I've lived through the frustration of the MacLeod era, the Westphal era, and now the D'Antoni era. MacLeod had his faults, too, and was locked into some likewise iffy philosophies, but at least he had the excuse of coaching a team (and in an era) that didn't offer quite the talent advantage the other two coaches had.

Frankly, I could see the problems with D'Antoni almost right from that first regular season in '05, when he refused to play the bench that season. None of the fans seemed phased by it because we had such a great regular season, but I knew it would have an effect in the playoffs. And sure enough it did when JJ went down and we were forced to play a six man rotation throughout the WCF.

And actually, I wouldn't have even minded DA's missteps so much, if he would have only at some point made even a little effort to change, adjust, or adapt his approach, or at some point at least admit that he should try something different. Ultimately, it was that out-and-out arrogance that marked and doomed (or will soon doom) his tenure here. Unfortunately, his hubris also cost the franchise, the players, and all of the fans.

And lets not even get started on Sarver. That's a whole topic for another evening.