Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My Buddy thinks Biyombo if given the chance would outperform Ayton. He is even telling me they should lock him up long term instead of Ayton. He was also huge on the Shamet deal so there is that.

Biyombo's career night last week was a game that Ayton puts up about once every 3 weeks or so. This kind of talk is lunacy.

Ayton is significantly better and more versatile on defense and, as annoying as his lack of attack on offense can be, he is almost more well rounded there. His screens are wide and physical, defenders really struggle to get around him.

Biyombo and McGee have been solid for us but there is a reason these 2 guys have bounced around the league a ton. They are not consistent and they do best in bursts.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Biyombo's career night last week was a game that Ayton puts up about once every 3 weeks or so. This kind of talk is lunacy.

Ayton is significantly better and more versatile on defense and, as annoying as his lack of attack on offense can be, he is almost more well rounded there. His screens are wide and physical, defenders really struggle to get around him.

Biyombo and McGee have been solid for us but there is a reason these 2 guys have bounced around the league a ton. They are not consistent and they do best in bursts.
Biyombo is not an alternative to Ayton, but his presence might make trading Ayton for someone like KAT make more sense now. KAT might be a better balance and still plays the C as well as the PF. I still believe in Ayton's value long-term compared to KAT, but our window is now. Up until now, I have preferred Ayton over KAT. However, I am pretty sure that KAT instead of Ayton with this present roster gives us a better chance of winning a championship.

Not that it will happen. It won't. But it is an intriguing conversation.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened to today's podcast on Arizona Sports with James Jones. See link below.

He talks about his philosophy on trades and buyouts at about the 7:30 mark.

While I like how he feels about the team he has assembled, the record speaks for itself, additions can be more about lateral moves for depth than improving the team.

Clearly when he added Bismack Biyombo he improved the team. However, I think a team in a championship window should look to carry as much playable depth as possible. I hope he looks at it from that direction too. With Nader, Kaminsky and Saric out, the Suns could really use another forward in case of injury or foul trouble.

Also think the Suns should look for someone to fill that second two-way spot. Ish Wainright has played much more than expected. I wouldn't mind if the Suns added another ball handler on a two-way contract for insurance.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I believe we are also 29-0 when leading entering the fourth, best in the NBA.

We're also, I believe, 9-9 when trailing entering the fourth, easily the best in the NBA.

The 2007 Suns were the other team that started 37-9, they lost their next game... to the Jazz who entered the game at 30-17, a nearly identical record to this Jazz team!

If we face someone in the second round who has signed Robert Horry to their roster... I will be terrified.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe we are also 29-0 when leading entering the fourth, best in the NBA.

We're also, I believe, 9-9 when trailing entering the fourth, easily the best in the NBA.

The 2007 Suns were the other team that started 37-9, they lost their next game... to the Jazz who entered the game at 30-17, a nearly identical record to this Jazz team!

If we face someone in the second round who has signed Robert Horry to their roster... I will be terrified.

Or Patrick Beverley.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I listened to today's podcast on Arizona Sports with James Jones. See link below.

He talks about his philosophy on trades and buyouts at about the 7:30 mark.

While I like how he feels about the team he has assembled, the record speaks for itself, additions can be more about lateral moves for depth than improving the team.

Clearly when he added Bismack Biyombo he improved the team. However, I think a team in a championship window should look to carry as much playable depth as possible. I hope he looks at it from that direction too. With Nader, Kaminsky and Saric out, the Suns could really use another forward in case of injury or foul trouble.

Also think the Suns should look for someone to fill that second two-way spot. Ish Wainright has played much more than expected. I wouldn't mind if the Suns added another ball handler on a two-way contract for insurance.

I thought Jones said it best when he was saying how he isn’t gonna make a move just for the sake of making a move. And that most teams are still competing and would be unwilling to part with quality pieces, unless the Suns were willing to give up quality pieces, which he is of course not willing to do.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Jones said it best when he was saying how he isn’t gonna make a move just for the sake of making a move. And that most teams are still competing and would be unwilling to part with quality pieces, unless the Suns were willing to give up quality pieces, which he is of course not willing to do.

Of course you don't make a move just for the sake of making a move but if you have a player on the injured list who may not play (possible example Abdel Nader) adding a forward to replace him such as Torrey Craig is something a GM should consider.

You can't add players in the middle of the playoffs.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Of course you don't make a move just for the sake of making a move but if you have a player on the injured list who may not play (possible example Abdel Nader) adding a forward to replace him such as Torrey Craig is something a GM should consider.

You can't add players in the middle of the playoffs.
I think it's safe to say that Jones will consider anything that is worth considering... To get a player at the level of Torrey Craig, what would roster adjustment would need to be made to fit him in? That is what Jones was getting at and why he emphasized a "meaningful deal" is highly unlikely to occur.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that Jones will consider anything that is worth considering... To get a player at the level of Torrey Craig, what would roster adjustment would need to be made to fit him in? That is what Jones was getting at and why he emphasized a "meaningful deal" is highly unlikely to occur.

I don't like to use examples because it limits options but since I mentioned Craig I will try to use his contract. Here is how I think it could work.

The Suns could waive Nader to clear a roster spot. Since they have the partial MLE of $4.5 million remaining, they could trade a second round pick to the Pacers and absorb Craig's contract. Of course the Pacers would have to agree to the trade.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I don't like to use examples because it limits options but since I mentioned Craig I will try to use his contract. Here is how I think it could work.

The Suns could waive Nader to clear a roster spot. Since they have the partial MLE of $4.5 million remaining, they could trade a second round pick to the Pacers and absorb Craig's contract. Of course the Pacers would have to agree to the trade.
If Indiana waives Craig then yes, he could be signed with the partial MLE, but I don't think you can absorb salary with it. Only through trade exceptions if you're over the cap.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@Suns_fan69 is right, you can't absorb a player in a trade using the MLE, partial or whole. The MLE can only be used to sign players out right.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Sounds like Suns are not doing anything by the deadline. I think it's a mistake. We could use a backup to Chris and/or PF. There has to be someone desperate to dump salary or will take someone like Smith and a pick. We have some pieces we could move. I really hope Jones is just trying not to give away his intentions.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Sounds like Suns are not doing anything by the deadline. I think it's a mistake. We could use a backup to Chris and/or PF. There has to be someone desperate to dump salary or will take someone like Smith and a pick. We have some pieces we could move. I really hope Jones is just trying not to give away his intentions.
He said practically the exact same thing las year right before he traded for Craig.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Indiana waives Craig then yes, he could be signed with the partial MLE, but I don't think you can absorb salary with it. Only through trade exceptions if you're over the cap.
@Suns_fan69 is right, you can't absorb a player in a trade using the MLE, partial or whole. The MLE can only be used to sign players out right.

Yeah, I was trying to find a way to keep Stix and Kaminsky without including one of them in a trade for a player like Craig. I guess adding Payton is another option but then he would have to be replaced.

Trading Stix for Craig would work straight up but that is the route I was trying to avoid.

Nader could be traded for a minimum type point guard. The Suns might have to sweeten any trade like this with a second round pick. Not that the Wizards would do it but Abdel Nader for Raul Neto works.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was trying to find a way to keep Stix and Kaminsky without including one of them in a trade for a player like Craig. I guess adding Payton is another option but then he would have to be replaced.

Trading Stix for Craig would work straight up but that is the route I was trying to avoid.

Nader could be traded for a minimum type point guard. The Suns might have to sweeten any trade like this with a second round pick. Not that the Wizards would do it but Abdel Nader for Raul Neto works.

Don't forget we can also move Saric's deal. I believe that's $8.9 million this year and $9.5 next season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget we can also move Saric's deal. I believe that's $8.9 million this year and $9.5 next season.

Trading Saric might be enticing because if the Suns replace him with an expiring contract that salary is off the books next summer.

The thing that keeps coming back to me is James Jones saying something to the effect he was happy with the roster he assembled in the off season. Looking at the limited moves last season (adding Torrey Craig) I think he believes this.

I think the addition of Biyombo was even better.

However, I do think the Suns are awfully close to winning a championship. I'd hate to think they are a tweak away from getting there and not do it.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Internal development?
Are we gonna internally develop Frank and Dario's knees before playoff time?
Maybe Shamet can internally develop a shot and Payton some nutz.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ is a cagey dude. I wouldn't read anything into that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Internal development?
Are we gonna internally develop Frank and Dario's knees before playoff time?
Maybe Shamet can internally develop a shot and Payton some nutz.

Hoping you can make a trip down to the Lab and check it out.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ is a cagey dude. I wouldn't read anything into that.
No, I really don't think he is.

He pretty much tells it like he sees it.

Unless he sees something he really likes, he's not going to make a deal.