Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Interesting thing that just occurred to me... there has been NOTHING on the Suns investigation since October.
I would be shocked at this point if Sarver/Suns got more than a hand slap gesture. I figure after the season is over the investigation will be completed.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thing that just occurred to me... there has been NOTHING on the Suns investigation since October.
I was fully expecting some leaks by now ("league sources"). It's been super hush. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bismack Biyombo on why he wanted to play for the Suns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think we could finally be a high profile destination for buyout guys this year.

question is... who will they be and will they fit a role we need? Last year, it seemed pretty apparent the PF/Cs that were gonna be bought out. But now? I guess Young from SA is a candidate to be bought out that would fit well with us. Anyone else have a crystal ball into the buyout future?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think we could finally be a high profile destination for buyout guys this year.

question is... who will they be and will they fit a role we need? Last year, it seemed pretty apparent the PF/Cs that were gonna be bought out. But now? I guess Young from SA is a candidate to be bought out that would fit well with us. Anyone else have a crystal ball into the buyout future?

Suns also have that partial $4.5 MLE which is attractive if they want to add some incentive for a team to buy out a player to come here. The player might take less from the team buying him out if the Suns pay him more on this end.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Suns also have that partial $4.5 MLE which is attractive if they want to add some incentive for a team to buy out a player to come here. The player might take less from the team buying him out if the Suns pay him more on this end.

Just need to figure out a way to open up a roster spot.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Did Bismack not get any of that MLE? Was he just vet min?

As for other buyout candidates, the other name thrown about is Paul Millsap. I think he's pretty cooked though. He wouldn't add anything that we can't already get from others on our roster.

Shamet as the backup 2 is the weakest link I think in the first 10, but I haven't a clue who would be available that fits that bill.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did Bismack not get any of that MLE? Was he just vet min?

As for other buyout candidates, the other name thrown about is Paul Millsap. I think he's pretty cooked though. He wouldn't add anything that we can't already get from others on our roster.

Shamet as the backup 2 is the weakest link I think in the first 10, but I haven't a clue who would be available that fits that bill.

It looks like Biyombo received only the prorated vet minimum of $1,518,213.

I might add, I think the Suns expected Shamet to contribute some as a ball handler.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just need to figure out a way to open up a roster spot.

If the Suns can't find a trade to their liking, a waiver is probably the easiest way to create a roster spot.

Abdel Nader might be a prospect if he is not returning this season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker's pre-game warm-ups. I think the left-handed jumpers were interesting [6:12, 7:00].

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the official release.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the article about James Jones being extended.

By Marc J. Spears, The Undefeated:

Jones told The Undefeated that the Sarver investigation “didn’t give me pause” in accepting the contract extension with the Suns.

On taking the extension during the Sarver investigation, Jones added: “This organization, business and basketball, it’s good. The talent, the people here are amazing. I have such a great team that I work with on the basketball side, but just as well equally, and sometimes even more on the business side. Because we’re the Suns, right? This is entertainment. And you don’t do the things that we do in a vacuum. That’s what I tell people a lot of times: You don’t do this in the vacuum, it takes everyone.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I love JM. Byombo might be the biggest pickup of the season if he keeps this up. Last four games, 15.8 points 11.0 rebounds 74.3 FG%. His production per minute is insane.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears the national media hears about major announcements concerning the Suns earlier than the local media.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It appears the national media hears about major announcements concerning the Suns earlier than the local media.
I think part of it is that Duane Rankin isn't a great reporter of new news. He does a good job with showing practice videos and after-game press conferences, but he never seems to break anything regarding the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think Chap hit the nail on the head, Duane Rankin isn't very good. He's terrible at sniffing out a story. He doesn't break any news because of that. Rankin seems more interested in being one of the guys than reporting on them. It's almost like he's scared he'll lose access if he pushes for a story.

I also think some blame falls on AZCentral/The Republic because they seem to put a lot behind a paywall now and the content they put out isn't worth a monthly subscription fee. If Coro or Bordow were covering the Suns for AZCentral still then I'd probably subscribe because I knew what they put out was top notch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of it is that Duane Rankin isn't a great reporter of new news. He does a good job with showing practice videos and after-game press conferences, but he never seems to break anything regarding the Suns.

There are at least three writers that cover the Suns regularly (Kellan Olson, Duane Rankin and Gerald Gerald Bourguet) and a fourth, who at one time in the past, seemed to have inside information about the team in John Gambadoro.

Those are a lot of writers that appear to get bypassed for the national media. It almost seems purposeful but I don't know why the Suns would do this.

I'm not sure why the Suns don't give Rankin any scoops because he travels with the team. It would seem like that would be enough to occasionally give him some inside information.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Chap hit the nail on the head, Duane Rankin isn't very good. He's terrible at sniffing out a story. He doesn't break any news because of that. Rankin seems more interested in being one of the guys than reporting on them. It's almost like he's scared he'll lose access if he pushes for a story.

I also think some blame falls on AZCentral/The Republic because they seem to put a lot behind a paywall now and the content they put out isn't worth a monthly subscription fee. If Coro or Bordow were covering the Suns for AZCentral still then I'd probably subscribe because I knew what they put out was top notch.

IMO, Paul Coro was the Suns best beat writer followed by Scott Bordow.

I have to rake leaves from all kinds of sources to get major news that is breaking. It seems kind of weird the national media gets the big stories first. Maybe one local writer broke the circle of trust.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still amazing to me how the player who sets the pick, is always open in the pick and roll. I hope Ayton watches video like this.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There are at least three writers that cover the Suns regularly (Kellan Olson, Duane Rankin and Gerald Gerald Bourguet) and a fourth, who at one time in the past, seemed to have inside information about the team in John Gambadoro.

Those are a lot of writers that appear to get bypassed for the national media. It almost seems purposeful but I don't know why the Suns would do this.

I'm not sure why the Suns don't give Rankin any scoops because he travels with the team. It would seem like that would be enough to occasionally give him some inside information.

I’m not sure why it matters who breaks it. Teams pretty much report their own info and any trade stuff is Woj/Shams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson