Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
From what I've read Tyson really mailed it in his last year or two here. I look at that picture and can't help but wonder if Chandler would have been more of a leader to the kids if we'd had an actual NBA Head Coach.
I think he would have played differently had we signed Aldridge.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They should have done 2 for 1. Would have helped the Mercury get more people in there.
This would have been the way to do it. I guess it must be a money thing.

Long term though it would have been good for fans of both teams.
I bet, at least, 75% of the Suns game's tickets are already sold because of season ticket holders, for sure the entire lower bowl.

Even if they wanted to do a 2 for 1, I don't see how they could have.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler was here for the payday, whether we could have signed Aldridge or not. Had we signed Aldridge then he would have had to work for it but we didn't and he didn't. What really pissed me off though was how he bailed at the end of his deal rather than mentor Ayton. He had 1 year left and Ayton coming in as a rookie. There's no doubt in my mind he could have helped with the learning curve, especially since Tyson made the leap to the NBA from High School. Then he signs with the Lakers, of all teams. Screw him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler was here for the payday, whether we could have signed Aldridge or not. Had we signed Aldridge then he would have had to work for it but we didn't and he didn't. What really pissed me off though was how he bailed at the end of his deal rather than mentor Ayton. He had 1 year left and Ayton coming in as a rookie. There's no doubt in my mind he could have helped with the learning curve, especially since Tyson made the leap to the NBA from High School. Then he signs with the Lakers, of all teams. Screw him.

As I recall it wasn't a secret Chandler wanted to sign with the Lakers and the Suns let him go anyway. Actually accommodated him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I recall it wasn't a secret Chandler wanted to sign with the Lakers and the Suns let him go anyway. Actually accommodated him.

That's what I thought. He'd rather ride the pine in LA than mentor Ayton, which makes it a little worse. He wasn't really ring chasing either since he had one already from Dallas, where he played a pivotal role.

Like I said, screw him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's what I thought. He'd rather ride the pine in LA than mentor Ayton, which makes it a little worse. He wasn't really ring chasing either since he had one already from Dallas, where he played a pivotal role.

Like I said, screw him.
Good job completely changing the narrative.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good job completely changing the narrative.

Sorry I don't agree with your "Poor Tyson" position. He did nothing here to earn my sympathy for playing here. I feel worse for the young players we handled poorly than Tyson, who didn't even play out his contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't agree with your "Poor Tyson" position. He did nothing here to earn my sympathy for playing here. I feel worse for the young players we handled poorly than Tyson, who didn't even play out his contract.
And he quit on us long before we traded him to LA. I'm just not sure it was all his fault. All those teenagers plus a clueless GM and a head coach that was all talk.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the narrative even more, I was so thankful when the Suns traded Trevor Ariza for Kelly Oubre. Ariza made Chandler look like a dynamo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the narrative even more, I was so thankful when the Suns traded Trevor Ariza for Kelly Oubre. Ariza made Chandler look like a dynamo.
It's a stretch maybe but you could make the case that signing Ariza was almost as big for this franchise as getting rid of him was. I think when the story went around about how unhappy Ariza was with the Phoenix facilities and perks it played a role in getting the support for the new facility and the upgrades on the old one.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a stretch maybe but you could make the case that signing Ariza was almost as big for this franchise as getting rid of him was. I think when the story went around about how unhappy Ariza was with the Phoenix facilities and perks it played a role in getting the support for the new facility and the upgrades on the old one.

I can see where that argument could be made but I don't want to give Ariza credit for anything.

It's still hard to believe Kokoskov wanted him with all the free agent money.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Leave it to you to make simple tongue-in-cheek comment into some big argument. Way to go.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave it to you to make simple tongue-in-cheek comment into some big argument. Way to go.

Big argument? Chill out. I'm not sure why you're so worked up over this. It's not a big deal, at all.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Big argument? Chill out. I'm not sure why you're so worked up over this. It's not a big deal, at all.
Then why did you make it one? All I meant was like it or not, Chandler was a completely different class of player standing next to those bums. I'm no fan of Chandler's time here, but when that photo was taken...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It changes perspective when you think it was nearly a done deal for Aldridge. Hell, wasn’t the first thing he and James Jones did after Tyson signing his contract is go to LMA’s house to recruit him?

I wouldn’t put it past McD to make a promise he couldn’t keep.

I don’t believe we were ever “nearly a done deal” to get Aldridge. I remember we signed Chandler to ENTICE Aldridge but that plan didn’t work.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why did you make it one? All I meant was like it or not, Chandler was a completely different class of player standing next to those bums. I'm no fan of Chandler's time here, but when that photo was taken...

I don't see how disagreeing with being sorry for him makes it a big deal. Sure, he had legit NBA talent while the others didn't but he had no issue playing down to their level. Its not like those were the only teammates he had in 3 years either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... it would be great for Ayton to match Kyler Murray’s exponential growth each season. They’re both number 1 picks with almost unparalleled talent at two of the most crucial positions in their sport.

If Ayton can just take half the step on the court Murray has taken on the field, we might have two unstoppable teams to watch for a really long time.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Are you kidding me with this bull ****? Sarver stay Sarvering

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding me with this bull ****? Sarver stay Sarvering

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think Ayton should get the max. If there is any negotiation it might be on bonuses.

Mikal Bridges is not a max player... at least now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem with it. Keep him hungry.

Extend Mikal for 4/85.

The dollars for Bridges sounds about right.

I don't agree with the idea of keeping Ayton hungry when he has sacrificed parts of his game for the good of the team.

With that said, all of Michael Porter Jr.'s contract is not guaranteed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't know what was offered. I didn't think Ayton was worth the max until the playoffs and even that was riding the high of unexpected success. This could also be posturing to ensure a better deal from Mikal as well. If Ayton gets the max quickly then his camp has an easier sell to make that Mikal is also worth that much. So we'll see what happens. Until the deadline comes I'm not condemning anyone. The deadline for an extension is October 18th.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem with it. Keep him hungry.

Extend Mikal for 4/85.
Too bad it doesn't work that way. We have no choice but to give him the max. That's the way the league works now.

There's a huge difference in value for the 4 names mentioned as deserving comparable max contracts and Ayton isn't at the top of that group but he's not at the bottom either - SGA and Porter getting the Max puts us in a horrible situation should we not offer him the same.

I don't know what Mikal will get but players like Terry Rozier are making more than 4/85 and Bridges agent knows that full well. I suspect it will cost us at least 10 mil more over a 4 year deal to sign him but OTOH I was surprised at the contracts CP3 and CamP just signed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose