Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The dollars for Bridges sounds about right.

I don't agree with the idea of keeping Ayton hungry when he has sacrificed parts of his game for the good of the team.

With that said, all of Michael Porter Jr.'s contract is not guaranteed.

That report was rather vague as far as what's been offered and what Ayton wants. Perhaps Ayton wants 5 years fully guaranteed, we don't know.

As far as asking him to sacrifice part of his game, I disagree. We asked him to step up on D and he did but he wasn't the same offensive player he was previously. He didn't do enough on his own to get buckets but he did get opportunities. He looked great in the playoffs and we didn't play much different than the regular season other than Ayton stepped up. There wasn't a huge difference as to how he was involved though outside of his own involvement. When he pushed, he got his and when he was tentative, he didn't. That's on him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That report was rather vague as far as what's been offered and what Ayton wants. Perhaps Ayton wants 5 years fully guaranteed, we don't know.

As far as asking him to sacrifice part of his game, I disagree. We asked him to step up on D and he did but he wasn't the same offensive player he was previously. He didn't do enough on his own to get buckets but he did get opportunities. He looked great in the playoffs and we didn't play much different than the regular season other than Ayton stepped up. There wasn't a huge difference as to how he was involved though outside of his own involvement. When he pushed, he got his and when he was tentative, he didn't. That's on him.

One could make the argument that Ayton is just as much or more than a max player as Trae Young, Luka Doncic, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Michael Porter Jr.

The Suns don't sniff the Finals without Ayton anchoring the middle. He doesn't have a traditional power forward around him either.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One could make the argument that Ayton is just as much or more than a max player as Trae Young, Luka Doncic, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Michael Porter Jr.

The Suns don't sniff the Finals without Ayton anchoring the middle. He doesn't have a traditional power forward around him either.

I can see the argument, for sure, but I've been against just handing it over right away from the start. I don't blame the Suns for negotiating, which is what's been happening, and we'll see if they can agree on something. I wouldn't put Ayton in the same category as Luka and Trae but I think SGA is fair and Porter getting the max makes it almost impossible for us not to give the same to Ayton. Denver screwed us with MPJ's extension.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see the argument, for sure, but I've been against just handing it over right away from the start. I don't blame the Suns for negotiating, which is what's been happening, and we'll see if they can agree on something. I wouldn't put Ayton in the same category as Luka and Trae but I think SGA is fair and Porter getting the max makes it almost impossible for us not to give the same to Ayton. Denver screwed us with MPJ's extension.

The way I see it, the market is set. It's like buying a nice home in an exclusive neighborhood. The buyer shouldn't expect a discount. Opposing teams have have already laid the groundwork on salaries. Luka and Trae haven't accomplished more than Ayton in the playoffs other than stats.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Are you kidding me with this bull ****? Sarver stay Sarvering

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hate to say "I told you so", but.

#SarverOut

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The market is set and Sarver/Jones have no wiggle room after the MPJ deal. The issue is not Ayton, but leadership. Sarver has evidence to show that this type of posturing can cost you championships (Joe Johnson), but yet he persists

TJ

Reaction score
I can 100% say this was leaked from the Ayton camp. When talks last three months with no progress and the benchmark is set, it’s maddening to think this has taken long, even more than two days after MPJ. It’s this gross incompetence from leadership that shows that this franchise is not close to being a perennial contender

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The market is set and Sarver/Jones have no wiggle room after the MPJ deal. The issue is not Ayton, but leadership. Sarver has evidence to show that this type of posturing can cost you championships (Joe Johnson), but yet he persists

And this type of approach is what made Phoenix lose its attractiveness to free agents, and then ultimately to it's own players. It is what ultimately caused the toxic culture of the 2010s. If it continues, this resurgence with CP3 will be a mere blip, and we will have another dreaded decade like that to look forward to. #SarverOut

With SGA and MPJ having received the max, the Suns have two choices:

1. Pay Ayton the max

2. Trade Ayton now

Simply letting Ayton play out his rookie deal will result in a dreaded Boris-Diaw-like trade and very well could cause the locker room to go toxic in the meantime.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He’s being really stupid I can’t believe he’s not gonna give a max extension to DeAndre. There should be no discussion sign the damn deal

Reactions: TJ

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can 100% say this was leaked from the Ayton camp. When talks last three months with no progress and the benchmark is set, it’s maddening to think this has taken long, even more than two days after MPJ. It’s this gross incompetence from leadership that shows that this franchise is not close to being a perennial contender

I wonder what Booker and CP3 are thinking...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Now one of the lead stories at espn.com. $arver is doing everything he can to trash the franchise's reputation that Monty, James Jones and CP3 worked so hard to rehabilitate.

NOW do you believe that this offseason has been all about $arver saving $$$?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The dollars for Bridges sounds about right.

I don't agree with the idea of keeping Ayton hungry when he has sacrificed parts of his game for the good of the team.

With that said, all of Michael Porter Jr.'s contract is not guaranteed.

Come on, Ayton hasn't sacrificed parts of his game for the team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s being really stupid I can’t believe he’s not gonna give a max extension to DeAndre. There should be no discussion sign the damn deal
First, this is James Jones not necessarily Sarver.

That stupid meme song starts in my head. "oh no, oh no, oh no, no, no, no, no."

This thing will work out. Not worried in the least.

TJ

Reaction score

I’d bet it does, but the fact that it had to get to the point where the agent has to use the media to strong arm the team is embarrassing

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Oh boy. Refusing to give ayton max when porter and SGA have it is an error of epic proportions.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Too bad it doesn't work that way. We have no choice but to give him the max. That's the way the league works now.

There's a huge difference in value for the 4 names mentioned as deserving comparable max contracts and Ayton isn't at the top of that group but he's not at the bottom either - SGA and Porter getting the Max puts us in a horrible situation should we not offer him the same.

I don't know what Mikal will get but players like Terry Rozier are making more than 4/85 and Bridges agent knows that full well. I suspect it will cost us at least 10 mil more over a 4 year deal to sign him but OTOH I was surprised at the contracts CP3 and CamP just signed.
Agreed on the bolded.

Not so much in regards to terry rozier. There’s still the element of restricted verse unrestricted in those scenarios that has a material effect on the contracts.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The way I see it, the market is set. It's like buying a nice home in an exclusive neighborhood. The buyer shouldn't expect a discount. Opposing teams have have already laid the groundwork on salaries. Luka and Trae haven't accomplished more than Ayton in the playoffs other than stats.
Other than the fact they’re the best players on their respective teams and lead those teams to the playoffs instead of being a third banana like Ayton.

TJ

Reaction score
Come on, Ayton hasn't sacrificed parts of his game for the team.
That's not true. Ayton's usage is down from 23% the prior season to 18% (4th on the team behind Book, CP3, and Payne). His points are down 4/game. He only has a couple of plays in the playbook where he's the primary offensive player.

Ayton wants to expand his game. The coaching staff is asking him to narrow his focus. He's accepted that. Right or wrong, they're only letting him do so much

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The Woj report said it was ownership, not management. This is 100% Sarver.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’d bet it does, but the fact that it had to get to the point where the agent has to use the media to strong arm the team is embarrassing
This is the worst of it to me. Agree it will get worked out.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm kinda OK with this.. I know he's wanted and needed by the organization. But, it's also nice they aren't just handing over max contracts to young kids. Maybe make him and his agents sweat it for a bit? Provide the extra motivation to propel his game to that next level we'll need to continually keep getting deep into the playoffs. I'm not for all the game playing with contracts.. but, maybe that's where the Suns are in their evaluation. I'm in the camp that we need for him to have another gear/level to his game regardless. Agree though that it's not good leverage with the likes of Porter and SGA getting maxed out.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Other than the fact they’re the best players on their respective teams and lead those teams to the playoffs instead of being a third banana like Ayton.

Would that make Michael Porter, Jr. a 5th or 6th banana?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's not true. Ayton's usage is down from 23% the prior season to 18% (4th on the team behind Book, CP3, and Payne). His points are down 4/game. He only has a couple of plays in the playbook where he's the primary offensive player.

Ayton wants to expand his game. The coaching staff is asking him to narrow his focus. He's accepted that. Right or wrong, they're only letting him do so much
They’re only letting him do so much or they’re doing the right thing in getting him to focus on, and master, the more important stepping stones in his toolkit? I believe it’s the latter. It’s ridiculous that he wants to step out as a three point shooter before he’s even established himself in the post.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave