Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bucks used 2 post players at once when they won it all. So did the Lakers, the Raptors, the Cavs, the LeBron Heat, the Spurs. Need I go on?...
Except they didn't. All those teams had 4 guys around the perimeter. They might have had "big" guys out there, but one or both of them were capable outside shooters.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Except they didn't. All those teams had 4 guys around the perimeter. They might have had "big" guys out there, but one or both of them were capable outside shooters.

But they were also capable of playing in the post and actually did so. Plus, and this critical, they had more than one player on the floor at a time capable of crashing the boards and either muscling up inside or protecting the rim. No champion in the last decade other than the Warriors left their center on an island the way the Suns do.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But they were also capable of playing in the post and actually did so. Plus, and this critical, they had more than one player on the floor at a time capable of crashing the boards and either muscling up inside or protecting the rim. No champion in the last decade other than the Warriors left their center on an island the way the Suns do.

So... no champion in the last decade besides the most dominant team of the decade (and Miami since they also didn't use a center at all)... so the two most dominant teams... then you also had the Spurs winning with a lineup of Duncan, Leonard, Green, Manu and Parker...

Hmm...

and this conversation started with you challenging the notion that 3 point shooting is far more valuable than it was 25 years ago... which now you seem to have abandoned.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So... no champion in the last decade besides the most dominant team of the decade (and Miami since they also didn't use a center at all)... so the two most dominant teams... then you also had the Spurs winning with a lineup of Duncan, Leonard, Green, Manu and Parker...

Hmm...

and this conversation started with you challenging the notion that 3 point shooting is far more valuable than it was 25 years ago... which now you seem to have abandoned.

The only team somewhat reliant on three point shooting that won it all was the Warriors.

The Heat had Bosh, Haslem, Birdman and LeBron all there to crash the Boards, score inside and protect the rim.

Even the Spurs had Tiago Splitter, Boris Diaw, Matt Bonner and a Kawhi that outweighed Cam J by 15 pounds, not to mention one of the greatest interior players of all time in Duncan.

We already know what happens when a team tries to emulate the pre-KD Warriors without having the historic shooting that Curry and Thompson brought to the table. You get the Portland Trailblazers. That is the Suns' future if they do not acquire a legitimate 4.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only team somewhat reliant on three point shooting that won it all was the Warriors.

The Heat had Bosh, Haslem, Birdman and LeBron all there to crash the Boards, score inside and protect the rim.

Even the Spurs had Tiago Splitter, Boris Diaw, Matt Bonner and a Kawhi that outweighed Cam J by 15 pounds, not to mention one of the greatest interior players of all time in Duncan.

We already know what happens when a team tries to emulate the pre-KD Warriors without having the historic shooting that Curry and Thompson brought to the table. You get the Portland Trailblazers. That is the Suns' future if they do not acquire a legitimate 4.
And 1Sun responds...

Lists off a bunch of guys that hardly saw the court because their position was being played by smaller guys who can shoot the three.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And 1Sun responds...

Lists off a bunch of guys that hardly saw the court because their position was being played by smaller guys who can shoot the three.

Note the players who averaged double digit minutes:

Checkmate.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Note the players who averaged double digit minutes:

Checkmate.
Sort it by playoffs and swing again.

Also, note that if you played for the Bucks last year and were not a 3 point shooter you literally didn't see the court.

Furthermore, your point is, supposedly, that the league doesn't value the three now much more than it did 25 years ago... which is flat out idiotic.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sort it by playoffs and swing again.

Also, note that if you played for the Bucks last year and were not a 3 point shooter you literally didn't see the court.

Furthermore, your point is, supposedly, that the league doesn't value the three now much more than it did 25 years ago... which is flat out idiotic.

My point, as it always has been, is what will it take for the Suns to win a championship. Coming off of an NBA Finals appearance, that should be the ONLY question on which management and we as fans should be focusing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point, as it always has been, is what will it take for the Suns to win a championship. Coming off of an NBA Finals appearance, that should be the ONLY question on which management and we as fans should be focusing.
This post is almost reasonable but you have what seems to be a thousand or so other posts since the season ended that call your claim into question.

We all want a championship, we all want this team to improve, if that's all you were talking about this board wouldn't be cluttered with your constant attacks on management and ownership. Every time we fail to sign some castoff from another team, you scream about Sarver being too cheap.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This post is almost reasonable but you have what seems to be a thousand or so other posts since the season ended that call your claim into question.

We all want a championship, we all want this team to improve, if that's all you were talking about this board wouldn't be cluttered with your constant attacks on management and ownership. Every time we fail to sign some castoff from another team, you scream about Sarver being too cheap.

At this point it's the only plausible explanation for us being on the cusp of training camp with there still being an open roster spot and nothing having been done to address the team's biggest need, particularly given the number of minimum signings made without using the BAE or the full MLE, as well as the fact that several, including some on this board, have acknowledged that the draft day trade was also primarily financially motivated.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point it's the only plausible explanation for us being on the cusp of training camp with there still being an open roster spot and nothing having been done to address the team's biggest need, particularly given the number of minimum signings made without using the BAE or the full MLE, as well as the fact that several, including some on this board, have acknowledged that the draft day trade was also primarily financially motivated.

Or we're a much better team than you believe, just like last year, and your views on how to build a contender are outdated.

I mean, who should be trusted the most? The guy who swore we'd collapse and miss the playoffs entirely with a month left in the season.

Or The GM who built a team that was 2 games away from an NBA championship but came up short due to facing a historically magnificent performance from Giannis and suffering a slew of injuries to our key contributors.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Or we're a much better team than you believe, just like last year, and your views on how to build a contender are outdated.

I mean, who should be trusted the most? The guy who swore we'd collapse and miss the playoffs entirely with a month left in the season.

Or The GM who built a team that was 2 games away from an NBA championship but came up short due to facing a historically magnificent performance from Giannis and suffering a slew of injuries to our key contributors.

While I will gladly admit I was wrong last year, anyone who thinks the Suns do not need a power forward is just kidding themselves. The need couldn't possibly be more obvious.

Meanwhile, the team, even if "better", isn't perfect and could always improve, as could every other team. It's not like this is a dynasty with several championships, or even a team with one...which brings me back to this:

Why aren't the roster spots all filled, and why are $8-10 million in exemptions remaining unspent?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I’m about ready to stop reading suns page due to the monopoly that 1sun is engenders.

It is not even a tiny exaggeration to say that his last 50ish post across different threads have all basically said the same exact thing. I have no real desire to post anything because I know it will just be eaten up by his same tired rhetoric. Ignore isn’t even a realistic option since he derails pretty much any actual discussion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not even a tiny exaggeration to say that his last 50ish post across different threads have all basically said the same exact thing. I have no real desire to post anything because I know it will just be eaten up by his same tired rhetoric. Ignore isn’t even a realistic option since he derails pretty much any actual discussion.
Same. It’s pretty incredible that one troll has destroyed the board. I barely post or even read anything here anymore.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’m about ready to stop reading suns page due to the monopoly that 1sun is engenders.
Agree. The block feature doesn’t work. He hasn’t learned and frankly won’t. Better posters have been permabanned for less

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have made my point and will back off, but please note that if anyone reiterates the claim that the Suns are set at power forward, that the Suns did all they could to address the position or there was nothing they could have done to address the position anyway, that Cam Johnson (or Frank Kaminsky) is the answer at power forward, that the answer is just to sit on their hands with less than a full roster for over a half of a season and wait for the buyout that might or might not ever come (the proverbial other shoe that never drops), or that Jalen Smith should get playing time this year, I will reiterate my point, as I have the right to do.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have made my point and will back off, but please note that if anyone reiterates the claim that the Suns are set at power forward, that there was nothing they could have done to address the position anyway, that Cam Johnson (or Frank Kaminsky) is the answer at power forward, or that Jalen Smith should get playing time this year, I will reiterate my point, as I have the right to do.
We are set at power forward, there was nothing we could do to address the position, Cam Johnson and Frank Kaminsky are the answers to our backup power forward needs and Jalen Smith should get some playing time.

Power forward is still our weakest position and we probably need to upgrade there before the postseason rolls around. We probably had opportunities to upgrade a little but I saw no one available that would have kept me from feeling like we still needed to upgrade there. CamJ and Frank don't answer all the questions as backups to that position but they aren't as bad of a combo as you make them out to be. Jalen Smith doesn't look ready to me to play real minutes but I'm confident he won't be seeing the court unless the coaching staff thinks he's ready enough to do so.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
“Honestly, y’all, I’m feeling straight. The only thing I’m dealing with is no taste, no smell, which is the worst part of it,” the athlete, 24, said in a video. “I’m about a week in. I’mma be back in no time, no time. … Having no smell, no taste, it makes your day dry. It makes your day gray. It makes it gray, for real.”

The Pheonix Suns player then noted that he’s going to keep his vaccination status private.

“I’m not gonna tell you guys if I have the vaccine or not, but you could still get COVID with the vaccine, for anybody that’s saying that,” Booker told his followers at the time. “Educate yourself.”

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty says the Suns had tried to acquire Landry Shamet for two years.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty on Dario Saric being important to the team and they will be supporting him on his way back.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me one bit with the ignore feature. I mean, people here are partly to blame for engaging. Stop engaging and put on ignore.

Problem solved.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me one bit with the ignore feature. I mean, people here are partly to blame for engaging. Stop engaging and put on ignore.

Problem solved.

You still see responses. I've had him on ignore for ages, but people engaging him makes the board unreadable. Honestly, I've barely posted since he's been back.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree. The block feature doesn’t work. He hasn’t learned and frankly won’t. Better posters have been permabanned for less
And every response is almost always exactly the same as the previous 8 responses. So you have to sift through like 10 posts to find anything new of substance.