Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think he's learned a lot from past mistakes but I have my doubts whether it extends to his belief that you only pay NBA type money to the on court talent. It helps that there is no direct comparison in the business world to the Head Coach position so maybe he'll pay comparable to other NBA franchises. I guess I'd more concerned about losping JJ now that I think about it since there is a business comp for that slot.
Also to be fair I don't know that there has been a Suns head coach in a good while that has been worth big money. Monty is without a doubt the best coach we have had since at least D'Antoni.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also to be fair I don't know that there has been a Suns head coach in a good while that has been worth big money. Monty is without a doubt the best coach we have had since at least D'Antoni.
True, it's just that Sarver has made this point before, that the on court talent needs to be paid like other talents but that jobs that translate to the real world shouldn't be. IOW, you don't tack on extra money just because the Executive Secretary or the GM is working in the entertainment business - their market value is set by the business market, not the NBA world.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we had no shot at getting a great coach with the money he likes to pay them anyway. I remember doing at least two coaching searches when they interviewed candidates, they talked about the Suns being reserved on their salaries for coaches. It's hard to get a tier 1 coach if you are not willing to pay tier 1 money as well. This board will go ballistic if we lose Monty over money.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we had no shot at getting a great coach with the money he likes to pay them anyway. I remember doing at least two coaching searches when they interviewed candidates, they talked about the Suns being reserved on their salaries for coaches. It's hard to get a tier 1 coach if you are not willing to pay tier 1 money as well. This board will go ballistic if we lose Monty over money.

I really don't see the Suns losing Monty over money. James Jones has already been given an extension. Monty strikes me as being loyal. So long as he is paid a competitive salary I think he stays. He has built a culture here.

Of course the NBA investigation is still ongoing. Whether that could change anything, I don't know.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to the link to the interview with James Jones on Arizona Sports today.

He discusses Chris Paul and Cam Payne among other things.

It may be a week or so before Payne returns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of the best interviews I've heard with James Jones covering a myriad of topics. It's well worth the listen.

See link above.

James Jones wouldn't rule out adding a buyout and always looks for ways to improve the team although he is happy with the current product.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also in the interview, James Jones said he would not be surprised to see Chris Paul return earlier than 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also in the interview, James Jone said he would not be surprised to see Chris Paul return earlier than 6-8 weeks.
And notice he is not worried about Chris missing any playoff time.

I actually think as long as we hold onto the number 1 seed, this time off for him is going to help our team, as Ayton, Bridges, Cam J will all get more opportunities to learn how to generate their own shots, which will help us in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And notice he is not worried about Chris missing any playoff time.

I actually think as long as we hold onto the number 1 seed, this time off for him is going to help our team, as Ayton, Bridges, Cam J will all get more opportunities to learn how to generate their own shots, which will help us in the playoffs.

In Chris Paul's absence I think it will provide an opportunity for the Suns backcourt to improve. It may not always be pretty but it should strenthen the team.

Also it's good for the players to move without the ball to find different ways to score.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In Chris Paul's absence I think it will provide an opportunity for the Suns backcourt to improve. It may not always be pretty but it should strenthen the team.

Also it's good for the players to move without the ball to find different ways to score.
Couldn't agree more.
This will give us a good look at the backup pg situation. Looking for Holiday and Payne to step up and compete for that spot.
Looking for Shamet to step up and retire. jk
We will miss CP3 for sure but this team has his mentality now AND he's gonna be on the bench helping whoever replaces him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I really want to see is this team continue to lock down on D. Defense can win games against mediocre opponents.

Going to need total buy-in, EVERY NIGHT BUY-IN from DA. Can’t afford any space cadet nights now. He wants to be a MAX player, he’s got to bring maximum effort to make up for CP3’s absence. This team will have to hang its hat hard on D now because I think offense is gonna be rough. And D is what Ayton can control of his head is in the game full time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne will be on Arizona Sports today at 3 p.m. on Burns and Gambo.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne on Arizona Sports. He still some complications with arm but putting up some shots.

When he returns he will play his game but Chris Paul will be there and help coach him through it.

Payne is really high on Aaron Holiday. Says the competition is fun.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
My immediate concern in the wake of the Chris Paul news is too many minutes on Booker. Even with CP3 healthy, Booker's been playing over 36 minutes per game in Feb (shade over 35 in Jan which is a more complete sample), and I think the minutes are starting to affect his shooting numbers.

He's already had hamstring issues and they are prone to linger. I recognize that keeping the 1 seed is important but if Booker goes down with that hammy again that'll be a bigger blow to our championship hopes than not getting the 1 seed IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My immediate concern in the wake of the Chris Paul news is too many minutes on Booker. Even with CP3 healthy, Booker's been playing over 36 minutes per game in Feb (shade over 35 in Jan which is a more complete sample), and I think the minutes are starting to affect his shooting numbers.

He's already had hamstring issues and they are prone to linger. I recognize that keeping the 1 seed is important but if Booker goes down with that hammy again that'll be a bigger blow to our championship hopes than not getting the 1 seed IMO.

Unless the Suns do something in the buyout/waiver market it looks like we are going to see a lot of Aaron Holiday, point Devin Booker and Elfrid Payton.

We know Chris Paul will be out for awhile but I was hoping Cam Payne would return sooner rather than later.

I'm hoping James Jones is scouring the market for another guard.

Unless I missed it, I didn't hear Landry Shamet mentioned today by James Jones or Cam Payne.

I'm hoping this is good news and more of an oversight.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this ain’t good. “Praying” to be back during the next week or so. Still has “complications” with the wrist.

If there is a guard out there that could help the Suns they should check it out.

Payne has been out for awhile. Since the injury is to his non-shooting right wrist, I would hope he would be better. If the injury lingers the Suns are short on point guards.

It's scary to think the Suns are without their starting and backup point guards. I don't know where they would be without Aaron Holiday.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And don't forget he had very little time off in between the finals and training camp thanks to the late postseason and playing for the national team.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
And don't forget he had very little time off in between the finals and training camp thanks to the late postseason and playing for the national team.
Yup, great point. He's had a lot of basketball mileage on him over the last 12 months or so. Puts Lebron's 8 Finals appearances in a row into perspective. The man is a machine.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yup, great point. He's had a lot of basketball mileage on him over the last 12 months or so. Puts Lebron's 8 Finals appearances in a row into perspective. The man is a machine.
LeBron is such a physically gifted athlete--especially his strength and speed--that he can dominate while not overly exerting himself. Most other players have to play at 95-100% all the time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah there's a reason the Spurs were great every other year during their peak years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave