Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t expect the team to get as many easy buckets and keep up the assist ratio but I would LOVE to see no drop off in defensive intensity. If we get that? I can live with the team not ripping 10 off in a row down the stretch.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My only hope is Booker can still within in the system instead of trying to do too much and carry the load. We are a well balanced team and he shouldn't have to carry much more. He just needs to go out there and trust Holiday then play his game.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its time for Booker to make his MVP push down the stretch. He's been viewed as a fringe candidate for a lot of talking heads this season due to the Suns record, his play on both ends, and his efficiency.

I need to check the odds to see what service offers the best return on him winning the MVP or if there are any that pay out for him finishing in top 3 of MVP voting.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its time for Booker to make his MVP push down the stretch. He's been viewed as a fringe candidate for a lot of talking heads this season due to the Suns record, his play on both ends, and his efficiency.

I need to check the odds to see what service offers the best return on him winning the MVP or if there are any that pay out for him finishing in top 3 of MVP voting.
I just think Book has to play within himself. Obviously we need him to score but I’d like to see him average 6-8 assists during these next 20 or so games without CP3. Trust your teammates. And we need Mikal to keep being aggressive and look for his shot. If he can stay in that 15-20 point range then we’ll be good

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty appeared on Arizona Sports this morning.

He wasn't specific about point guard rotations but he didn't want to overload Aaron Holiday who is new to the program. It sounds like Monty will spread the role among multiple players. He also talked about the Suns ability to go big with Devin Booker playing point guard.

Additionally he talks about the growth of Mikal Bridges game and the need to find ways to bring out the best in Landry Shamet.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty appeared on Arizona Sports this morning.

He wasn't specific about point guard rotations but he didn't want to overload Aaron Holiday who is new to the program. It sounds like Monty will spread the role among multiple players. He also talked about the Suns ability to go big with Devin Booker playing point guard.

Additionally he talks about the growth of Mikal Bridges game and the need to find ways to bring out the best in Landry Shamet.

Putting Book back the role that was high pressure for him makes me nervous. Book taking his game to the next level IMO has been spurred by him not having to do everything. When Book presses he still makes mistakes. He is at his best when he doesn't have to worry about carrying the team on his back.

I would really like to see Holiday take on most of that role but it doesn't sound like that is how Monty wants to role. I am worried a bit.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting Book back the role that was high pressure for him makes me nervous. Book taking his game to the next level IMO has been spurred by him not having to do everything. When Book presses he still makes mistakes. He is at his best when he doesn't have to worry about carrying the team on his back.

I would really like to see Holiday take on most of that role but it doesn't sound like that is how Monty wants to role. I am worried a bit.

The Suns really need a healthy Cam Payne. Without him it's going to be mix and match. I really like what I have seen from Aaron Holiday. I'd like to see Landry Shamet do more play making as well but I didn't hear him mentioned in the point guard mix.

I think we are all worried about Devin Booker having to shoulder too much of the load.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No surprise the media is starting to give up on the Suns. They were never believers anyway.

We have them right where we want them.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No surprise the media is starting to give up on the Suns. They were never believers anyway.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Grizzlies lose in the 1st round. They remind me a lot of the Blazers over this last decade only much better defensively. They go where Ja goes and in the postseason it's a lot easier to shutdown 1 guy.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Grizzlies lose in the 1st round. They remind me a lot of the Blazers over this last decade only much better defensively. They go where Ja goes and in the postseason it's a lot easier to shutdown 1 guy.
I think Memphis wants to avoid Dallas in round 1. Luka torches them consistently. And the Grizz still don’t have Dillon Brooks, who’s a solid player. Gonna be interesting how playoff seeding works and if Memphis can catch Golden State.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ve watched zero Grizzlies games, huh? They’re not just Ja. If they were it would have been impossible for them to have a 10 Game Winning Streak while he was out all 10 ten games. And they’re nothing like Portland. Portland’s defense was horrible year in, year out. the Grizz are in the league’s elite. That is a MASSIVE difference.

They aren’t losing in the first round.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't take anything away from the Grizzlies but it's a reach to predict them in the Finals much like the Suns of last season although I thought Phoenix had a better chance.

Teams are going to pound on Morant more in the postseason and challenge them in the middle at center. I do like their shooters.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't take anything away from the Grizzlies but it's a reach to predict them in the Finals much like the Suns of last season although I thought Phoenix had a better chance.

Teams are going to pound on Morant more in the postseason and challenge them in the middle at center. I do like their shooters.
If we or GS was healthy, I’d call them a long shot, but both of us are SEVERLY wounded right now and could be into the playoffs.

Y’all are taking 6-8 weeks as the worst case scenario for CP3 when the reality is they’re only saying CP3 will be REEVALUATED in 6-8 weeks. This from the team who initially said they’d reevaluate Payne two weeks after his injury and it’s now been FIVE weeks he’s been out and apparently might still be more.

Much like last year, health might determine everything in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we or GS was healthy, I’d call them a long shot, but both of us are SEVERLY wounded right now and could be into the playoffs.

Y’all are taking 6-8 weeks as the worst case scenario for CP3 when the reality is they’re only saying CP3 will be REEVALUATED in 6-8 weeks. This from the team who initially said they’d reevaluate Payne two weeks after his injury and it’s now been FIVE weeks he’s been out and apparently might still be more.

Much like last year, health might determine everything in the playoffs.

It's a war of attrition no doubt but until we know for certain key players are not coming back (Paul and Payne), I like the Suns chances.

If we take worse case scenario, the picture doesn't look as bright. Right now I'm more concerned about Cam Payne than Chris Paul. That didn't sound like the Cam Payne I know on the radio yesterday. He is usually overflowing with optimism.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Oh well it was fun being the best team in the NBA so far this season. That cannot be taken away no matter how we fare in the playoffs and injury wise.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah that's not happening if CP3 is back. No way that team can beat us in a 7 game series.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a war of attrition no doubt but until we know for certain key players are not coming back (Paul and Payne), I like the Suns chances.

If we take worse case scenario, the picture doesn't look as bright. Right now I'm more concerned about Cam Payne than Chris Paul. That didn't sound like the Cam Payne I know on the radio yesterday. He is usually overflowing with optimism.
Cam is going to be back within 2 weeks, the only reason he was disapointed was because his target was to be ready after the all star break and it's taking a bit longer.

I cannot believe how pessimistic everyone has become.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam is going to be back within 2 weeks, the only reason he was disapointed was because his target was to be ready after the all star break and it's taking a bit longer.

I cannot believe how pessimistic everyone has become.

It's not pessimism but looking at the reality of the situation.

Cam Payne was expected back after the All-Star break but he said there were complications during an interview on Arizona Sports yesterday. We do not know when he will return although we all hope for the best.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's not happening if CP3 is back. No way that team can beat us in a 7 game series.
I'm not saying Memphis is better than us but I don't understand so many people writing them off. They're legit, and they're just as deep as us. I think they are a better team than the one we lost the championship to last year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying Memphis is better than us but I don't understand so many people writing them off. They're legit, and they're just as deep as us. I think they are a better team than the one we lost the championship to last year.

yeah... at full strength, I think it's at least a 6 games series. they're really freaking good, but i think our experience would put us over the top if healthy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm certainly not writing off the Grizzlies but I don't think this season's Grizzlies are better than the Finals Bucks of last season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of their games you have watched but they are not losing in the 1st round. They are nothing like that team IMO. In fact, in many ways they remind me of the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure how many of their games you have watched but they are not losing in the 1st round. They are nothing like that team IMO. In fact, in many ways they remind me of the Suns.

I've only seen 2-3 games outside of when they've played the Suns but I don't think they're that good. They do have some depth but they are also very young and lack real post season experience. I know that didn't hurt the Suns much last year but they don't have a CP3 and Crowder to guide the ship.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson