Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here is the announcement for Chris Paul being named a 12 time NBA All-Star.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am legit irritated that Golden State has 3 all stars. It should have been Murray

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker is more deserving of All-NBA honors than Dragic. He's a better player on both ends and does more to help the team win.
He is but my point was that Goran should have been added to the all star squad but because SAS (and others) ignored the Suns (despite our having a pretty good record) Dragic didn't make the team (until Dame's injury replacement). Anyway, once this happened the players around the league made it clear it was a real snub and Smith and others jumped onto the bandwagon which led to his all NBA selection.

It looks like something similar will happen with Devin, just look at his recent jump up the MVP ladder. And I'm not saying he doesn't deserve All NBA status, as a Suns fan I'm torn about it. I want to see him get the recognition he deserves but our future is brighter if he doesn't qualify for the Supermax.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is but my point was that Goran should have been added to the all star squad but because SAS (and others) ignored the Suns (despite our having a pretty good record) Dragic didn't make the team (until Dame's injury replacement). Anyway, once this happened the players around the league made it clear it was a real snub and Smith and others jumped onto the bandwagon which led to his all NBA selection.

It looks like something similar will happen with Devin, just look at his recent jump up the MVP ladder. And I'm not saying he doesn't deserve All NBA status, as a Suns fan I'm torn about it. I want to see him get the recognition he deserves but our future is brighter if he doesn't qualify for the Supermax.

I agree about the supermax. Im not that worried because I can see Devin actually doing what's best for the team rather than holding out for every dollar possible. He's proven during his time here that he loves this city and wants to win. I can't see him causing us to scale back on talent because he wants an extra couple million a year.

I know athletes don't turn down big money but Devin has been really charitable as well, which is another reason I don't believe he'll hold this team up for money. He's made a small fortune, his girlfriend is worth a billion, and he gives away around $1 million a year already. I don't see him as money driven as some other stars have been.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
When it comes to MVP and All-NBA conversations, the biggest problem for the Suns is that it is not clear who the best player on their team is. Generally speaking, it's a good thing- an excellent problem to have, but I think it ends up working against Booker and Paul when it comes to those specific scenarios. Hell, I am not sure which one of them is more important to the team's success, and I barely miss one or two games per season. Guys who vote for MVP and All-NBA selection are probably even more confused than I am. One thing I am sure of, however, is that both of them would rather win a championship than be MVP/ All-NBA selection.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about the supermax. Im not that worried because I can see Devin actually doing what's best for the team rather than holding out for every dollar possible. He's proven during his time here that he loves this city and wants to win. I can't see him causing us to scale back on talent because he wants an extra couple million a year.

I know athletes don't turn down big money but Devin has been really charitable as well, which is another reason I don't believe he'll hold this team up for money. He's made a small fortune, his girlfriend is worth a billion, and he gives away around $1 million a year already. I don't see him as money driven as some other stars have been.
Dude... Devin in his prime isn’t turning down Super Max. You should get that outta your head now so as to not be disappointed later.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude... Devin in his prime isn’t turning down Super Max. You should get that outta your head now so as to not be disappointed later.

Im not counting on him turning it down so much as James Jones not offering it. If he takes a hard line in negotiations with Booker like he did with Ayton, offering the straight max and that's it, I can see Booker taking it if gives the Suns the best ability to compete. We'll see what happens but I don't see Booker getting as hung up on the financials as some others in the past.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not counting on him turning it down so much as James Jones not offering it. If he takes a hard line in negotiations with Booker like he did with Ayton, offering the straight max and that's it, I can see Booker taking it if gives the Suns the best ability to compete. We'll see what happens but I don't see Booker getting as hung up on the financials as some others in the past.
I get what you're saying and I agree he's about more than simply the money but I just don't think Devin would settle for one penny less than the Supermax if he qualifies. If he can't get it here, he'll go to a market (LA or NY probably) where he can more than make up for not getting it in Phoenix.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here’s the difference between Booker and Ayton….even if Book has a bad game and is just off, you know he wants it. There’s never a game where he seems disinterested. I can’t say the same for DA. He disappears. Book is a max player. Ayton is a max talent that doesn’t always give you max effort.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but I think the Suns have mathematically locked up a playoff spot already--at least a play-in game.

Before the All-Star break.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You are a company man through and through huh

Book is getting that super max and if JJ didn’t offer it he should be fired on the spot

Every damn team in the league would line up to pay him

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bulls
76ers
Bucks

3 games in 4 days gonna be a rough stretch

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bulls
76ers
Bucks

3 games in 4 days gonna be a rough stretch

The Bulls are a mediocre team that feasts on bad teams, and they are wretched on defense. I would be disappointed if we struggled against them. Bucks and Sixers will be tough.

I have tickets to the Bucks game, I am excited, that crowd is going to be frothing at the mouth.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bulls are a mediocre team that feasts on bad teams, and they are wretched on defense. I would be disappointed if we struggled against them. Bucks and Sixers will be tough.

I have tickets to the Bucks game, I am excited, that crowd is going to be frothing at the mouth.
Since the bubble we've heard similar comments discounting the value of Suns victories but a win is a win. And yes their defense is their weakest point but it hasn't helped that most of their decent defenders have missed 10 or more games. I don't think they are a legit championship team but they are in the upper third of the league and we've lost to worse teams.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Since the bubble we've heard similar comments discounting the value of Suns victories but a win is a win. And yes their defense is their weakest point but it hasn't helped that most of their decent defenders have missed 10 or more games. I don't think they are a legit championship team but they are in the upper third of the league and we've lost to worse teams.
Yeah the Bulls are number one in the East without Lonzo, Caruso, Patrick Williams, and Derrick Jones Jr. those guys are key parts to their rotation. LaVine and DeRozan are the best wing duo offensively in the league. Some people even think LaVine is better than Booker…I would take Book because I think he’s better all around but Zach has improved a lot. Vucevic isn’t great defensively but he’s a double double machine. LaVine isn’t playing against Philly today. So we’ll see if he plays tomorrow night. Ayo Dosumnu has been impressive for them and I expect him to make Book work tomorrow night.