Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The chatter around Paul for MVP is getting louder. I don't think it's going to, or should, happen. Nikola Jokic is the winner. But the Suns are just one game back of the Jazz for the No. 1 overall seed. Utah is playing without Donovan Mitchell and Mike Conley for the foreseeable future. If Phoenix jumps into the No. 1 spot, Paul could ride a pretty powerful narrative straight into the hearts of voters.

Earlier this season, I cited the elite impact Paul has had on every franchise he's joined during his Hall of Fame career by comparing the winning percentage of the team in the year before Paul arrived with the winning percentage in the year of his arrival. With what the Suns are doing this season, it bears repeating.
Nets' center rotation, 76ers' bench and the most important lineups for Eastern Conference's top contenders (cbssports.com)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bet is it was either Paul or Booker. Both have tempers and I can see them going overboard. It may not have been a punch either. It could have been a "pass" to an unexpecting recipient.

They would have been near the bottom of the list for me, I just don't see that as a line either player would cross unless you're talking self defense. I'd think it was Crowder but my long shot pick would be Frank the Tank (to explain him being in the coaching doghouse). And if it were just a "pass" I think Cam would have been more forthcoming so I'm going with practice brawl or Cam walked into a door and is too embarrassed to tell the story.

I flashed on an old memory when I read your "unexpecting recipient" suggestion. I was in a pickup game and one of the players was incredibly annoying, refereeing every action on the floor and always to his own benefit. Anyway, one of my teammates finally had enough and as Mark was slowly heading up the court Kyle threw the ball at the guys head as hard as he could (and Kyle had a great arm). Not a one of us liked Mark but I didn't want to see him get flattened by the ball so I yelled out a warning. Thanks to me he took that fastball in the face.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good thing that's your opinion. He's going to get a chance to prove it, and it's not exactly fair to write him off weeks before he gets that chance.

I hope you're wrong, but you are likely 75% right. What is hard to figure out is WHY he is able to turn it on for 7 games and then have go so horribly bad for a stretch after that. There doesn't seem to be any apparent factors that affect him like this. Something behind the scenes maybe? Tank doesn't get the minutes, but he had a much better game than Ayton did last night. I love Tank, but a) why isn't Ayton upset about that, and b) what do the coaches tell him after a performance like this? Do they say anything?
As always, I hope I’m wrong on this. Ayton has shown the ability, just zero consistency. I read an article regarding Paul’s approach to the suns on the undefeated and either the author or Paul (can’t recall which) sort of intimated that Ayton just drifts sometimes. I think it’s a combination of (a) he’s just not a mentally focused individual; and (b) he isn’t a tough person as a default. Can he be tough? Yeah we see it on D frequently. But he’s so weak in his offensive approach. He never attacks. He repeatedly made himself small against Zubac and other smaller defenders last night when he should be trying to dunk on them in order to ensure a foul call. But he goes up weak, misses, and wonders why there’s no whistle. And mind you, I said “try to dunk” purposefully. He’s an excellent athlete, but he’s not bam adebayo who is routinely going to posterize defenders. But what that attempt will result in is free throws. And he’s a good free throw shooter so he shouldn’t be afraid of going to the line. It’s confounding that we are in the home stretch of year three and still talking about the same thing. He’s still only averaging 2.6 free throw attempts per game. That’s 2.7, 2.3, and 2.6 each year he’s been in the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think about how practices would go and I'm going with he got into a heated battle with Jae Crowder and Crowder smacked him, probably not intentional, maybe he slammed his shoulder into Cam's face or something and thing's got heated.
Or maybe an elbow. I could see cam being bent about an elbow to the schnoz and then them kissing and making up and not wanting to talk about it and have it blow up in the press. Seems they handled it right.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They would have been near the bottom of the list for me, I just don't see that as a line either player would cross unless you're talking self defense. I'd think it was Crowder but my long shot pick would be Frank the Tank (to explain him being in the coaching doghouse). And if it were just a "pass" I think Cam would have been more forthcoming so I'm going with practice brawl or Cam walked into a door and is too embarrassed to tell the story.

I flashed on an old memory when I read your "unexpecting recipient" suggestion. I was in a pickup game and one of the players was incredibly annoying, refereeing every action on the floor and always to his own benefit. Anyway, one of my teammates finally had enough and as Mark was slowly heading up the court Kyle threw the ball at the guys head as hard as he could (and Kyle had a great arm). Not a one of us liked Mark but I didn't want to see him get flattened by the ball so I yelled out a warning. Thanks to me he took that fastball in the face.
I hate to laugh at his misfortune, but that’s awesome.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way I took that comment from cam, is some ball hit him in the nose, and he was embarrassed to admit it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys listen to EJ’s show on Sirius? It’s pretty great, especially when he and his co-host just get into ridiculous shouting arguments.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Do any of you guys listen to EJ’s show on Sirius? It’s pretty great, especially when he and his co-host just get into ridiculous shouting arguments.
I listen to it off and on. And like our broadcasts, EJ is extremely smart when it comes to basketball.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The preferable award would be finals MVP, I don't care which player.

:)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it’s stating the obvious, but humor me. 9 games left. If the playoffs start today, the Suns have home court throughout.

Best record in the league. Swept the season series with the Jazz.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it’s stating the obvious, but humor me. 9 games left. If the playoffs start today, the Suns have home court throughout.

Best record in the league. Swept the season series with the Jazz.

Although I started thinking this would happen a few days ago I wouldn't have believed it going into that East Coast road trip. I really thought we had a much better chance of dropping to 4th or even 5th than we did of moving into a tie for first (with the tiebreaker no less).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we have underestimated how tough this Suns group is.

By Duane Rankin, Arizona Republic:

"I'm mindful of the bumps and bruises, but we have a tough group," Williams said. "Our guys, they work really hard so they can play through those bumps and bruises and the soreness of the season, but they're tough-minded in a lot of ways and they don't get enough credit for that. That's what it's going to take. Nobody is going to be fresh in May, June and July. You're going to have to will yourself through some tough games and video sessions and all that while the rest of the league is not playing."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...nded-utah-jazz-own-nba-top-record/4900564001/

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This may be a time to start raising our expectations. Suns are getting lots of props for their defense, discussed by Raja Bell here, among other things

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may be a time to start raising our expectations. Suns are getting lots of props for their defense, discussed by Raja Bell here, among other things

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Great analysis of the Suns team. Thanks for the video.

I'd like to say the Suns players like each other, have a strong work ethic and are committed to winning. The leadership of Chris Paul and Devin Booker has a lot to do with that. This team is hungry and not willing to accept second best.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson