Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's not but if he hovers right around 40% for the season, I call that a win.

He'll be a restricted free agent this summer with a qualifying offer of $1.9 million since he was a 2nd round pick last year. I hope he continues to play well because we may have our PGOF in Carter. He looks really good next to Booker and even though his playmaking could be better, it's not as awful as we've seen come through here recently.

Carter looks more like someone you want to keep for the next few years than Okobo, Melton, Ulis, Shaq Harrison, or any of the PG's we've had to endure over the last few seasons.
I don’t think he’s PGOF material as he’ll never be a top notch playmaker imo. But if he’s hitting 3’s around 40% and playing that defense he’s a guy I never want to see leave.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
One really encouraging thing I am seeing is that it appears this team is going to scrap with every single team they play. There were some nights last season where the team didn't even look like it showed up to play.
In all fairness to the players, last season was the residue of the Suns history of tanking.

You can't snap your fingers and see a major change . . . until a new regime takes over, which it has.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jevon Carter's shooting is not a fluke.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Jevon Carter said in the locker room he put up between 1,000 to 1,500 shots per day in the offseason to improve his shot. Through four games, Carter is shooting 50% on 3s (10/20) after 33.3% last season.

10:29 PM - 28 Oct 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Players averaging at least 20 points, 2 steals, and 1 block through the first week of the season:

• Karl-Anthony Towns

• Kelly Oubre Jr.

Last season, Oubre put up 20.2 points, 2.1 steals, and 0.9 blocks after the All-Star break. He’s developing into a true two-way wing.

2:43 PM - 29 Oct 2019

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think he’s PGOF material as he’ll never be a top notch playmaker imo. But if he’s hitting 3’s around 40% and playing that defense he’s a guy I never want to see leave.
He could be PGOF but we have a rookie who is pretty good too, and he has not seen the floor yet. Carter is a really nice addition though. That level of D and shooting from the pg position is kind of unique. I am trying to think of another player in the league who does it--PBev I guess.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jevon Carter's shooting is not a fluke.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Jevon Carter said in the locker room he put up between 1,000 to 1,500 shots per day in the offseason to improve his shot. Through four games, Carter is shooting 50% on 3s (10/20) after 33.3% last season.

10:29 PM - 28 Oct 2019
I guess. TJ did the same last year, but his shooting has come back down to earth this year so far.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It looks like Channing Frye is still a Sun at heart.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Embiid will miss Suns game with the 76ers on Monday. Simmons will be available.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wish he weren't out. I mean, it will definitely help on paper, but on the court I want the Suns with razor focus.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was just looking at the advanced stats and my god is Baynes balling out. He is by far our best player so far.

134 ORTG, 101 DRTG. That offensive rating is ridiculous.

6.8 OBPM, 2.5 DBPM, 9.3 BPM

He also has a .3 VORP already which is 13th best in the league.

After looking at these stats I really am wondering if having Ayton back will actually make us worse if eats up much of his time.

Our second best player statistically is actually Oubre, but he is a distant second to Baynes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I read this (see tweet below) I always think it can't be true with players like Aron Baynes (32), Ricky Rubio (29), Tyler Johnson (27), Frank Kaminsky (26) and Dario Saric (25) on the roster.

Aside from Baynes the Suns are pretty young but it doesn't feel this way.

Kudos to James Jones for this blend of players.

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Per the NBA's roster survey for this season, the Suns have the youngest roster in the league with an average age of 24.49.

10:52 AM - 1 Nov 2019

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
After looking at these stats I really am wondering if having Ayton back will actually make us worse if eats up much of his time.

Well, we need a Power Forward who weighs more than Saric's 216 pounds.

Ayton's 250 would be a nice improvement. :)

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I was just looking at the advanced stats and my god is Baynes balling out. He is by far our best player so far.

134 ORTG, 101 DRTG. That offensive rating is ridiculous.

6.8 OBPM, 2.5 DBPM, 9.3 BPM

He also has a .3 VORP already which is 13th best in the league.

Our second best player statistically is actually Oubre, but he is a distant second to Baynes.
Baynes is a starter imo.

Suns could have an extremely talented 2nd unit. Ayton wouldn't like it, but tough. Maybe he closes if he earns it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Baynes is a starter imo.

Suns could have an extremely talented 2nd unit. Ayton wouldn't like it, but tough. Maybe he closes if he earns it.
It's a 5 game sample and it is probably the best 5 game stretch of Baynes' 8 year career. We have seen nothing to suggest that he is going to thrive in a starting role long term.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Uuuuhhggg....

BC... I swear buddy, I wish you'd go and watch Ayton in college. You would watch that wildcat team and scream at the TV how stupid they were for using him as a PF. He is NOT and should not play that position. He is a mediocre power forward... meanwhile he has all the skill and size to be a monster center.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Uuuuhhggg....

BC... I swear buddy, I wish you'd go and watch Ayton in college. You would watch that wildcat team and scream at the TV how stupid they were for using him as a PF. He is NOT and should not play that position. He is a mediocre power forward... meanwhile he has all the skill and size to be a monster center.
But does he have the mindset? So far, not yet.

If he can develop it, that would be great.

But if we slide when he returns . . .

Time will tell.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Saric's size is just fine for the modern PF. In fact, PF is kind of a dinosaur now. Stretch forward is where the league is.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But does he have the mindset? So far, not yet.

If he can develop it, that would be great.

But if we slide when he returns . . .

Time will tell.

Sliding him to PF when he returns is giving up on the idea that he could development that mindset. He's 1 year into his NBA career and 21 years old, it's far too soon to say "This is who he is and he'll never become the C we want so we might as well start looking for someone else and move him to PF".

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been posted but I like how it demonstrates how the Suns have upgraded their roster.

It's mind boggling. I wish the Suns could have kept Holmes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been posted but I like how it demonstrates how the Suns have upgraded their roster.

It's mind boggling. I wish the Suns could have kept Holmes.

I know Ty Jerome should be a decent contributor when he returns but I do miss Troy Daniels. Of course our guard depth is pretty good this year but I believe he'd see playing time still since he was the Suns best 3pt shooter* over the last couple of seasons.

*Just to note I didn't look up percentages and basing Daniels being our best 3pt shooter based on his reputation, role, and skill. He may be 2nd or 3rd in actuality but I don't think anyone can deny he was/is a good 3pt shooter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave