Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Ronin

Ronin Registered

2. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Didn't know where to put this, here or the Around the NBA thread. I didn't think it deserved it's own thread.

The NBA instituted the new measuring requirements this year so all players had to be measured and listed at their correct height on any official media information that is released by teams or the league. There weren't any big changes for the Suns with the new measurements other than Booker lost an inch, now being listed at 6'5" and Oubre is now listed at 6'6" instead of 6'7". Ayton, Rubio, Saric, Kaminsky, and Mikal all measured as tall as they'd been listed previously.

Some of the players weight changed but I'm not aware of whether the NBA is cracking down on that, I don't believe they are at this time but there were some changes for Suns this year compared to last, nothing too noticeable though.

Here's the tweet I saw that had this info. The person tweeting is one of the co-hosts on The Timeline so I believe they're accurate. Those guys do a good job and I can't see them pushing out false information, especially about players heights and weight.

Mainstreet likes this.
  3. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Ayton is 7’1” without shoes?

4. 95pro

95pro Registered

Yeah disappointing considering the lack of attacks to the rim and lack of blocks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  5. StreetTruckinTitan

StreetTruckinTitan Formerly NativeAZfan

He's channing frye without the three.

Bufalay likes this.
  6. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I am not surprised. I saw him live one game last year in DC, and he looked very tall and long. I was really surprised to see how big that dude was.

Hoop Head likes this.
  7. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I don't see it. Ayton is a star in the making; he has the physical gifts to be an all time great but it's doubtful he'll ever reach his potential due to his emotional makeup, drive and personality. But he's still a star in the making and despite all the knocks on him here, offensively he's coming off one of the best all time rookie big men seasons EVER.

I loved what Channing Frye did for us and his presence made us a better team most nights but he was never going to be a star. Our 21 year old big man is already a significantly better player than Frye in his prime IMO.

8. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Maybe he grew. Even more reason for Ayton to dominate.

BC867 and Hoop Head like this.
  9. Mainstreet

It is weird. I don't remember such a gap between preseason and the start of the regular season.

10. Mainstreet

Agree. Ayton is a star in the making.

Even the thought of comparing him to Frye makes me shudder because so much more is expected of Ayton.

I'm not taking anything away from Frye because he had a solid if unspectacular career. He was unfairly criticized by some for not being more of an inside presence when his game was more of a stretch 4.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  11. Ronin

Ronin Registered

12. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

He's one of those players that you don't realize just how big he is until you see him in person. I only went to 1 game last season but I was surprised how tall he was also. I remember thinking the same thing when I went to a Suns/Jazz game and saw Rudy Gobert. Some players don't look that big on TV but seeing Ayton in person and amongst the other players, it's clear he's a legit 7 footer.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    SirStefan32 likes this.
  13. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

He averaged a block a game in the preseason in limited minutes. Encouraging.

14. StreetTruckinTitan

StreetTruckinTitan Formerly NativeAZfan

I would say he's a star in waiting. Im waiting for him to shed his soft label. If he attacks the rim with malice this season then I'll change my opinion. Until then, he's Channing Frye soft.

15. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

The height/weight changes would bring them to this recap, which I put together from the projections
    of Mainstreet and Raze.

Stats.png

Mainstreet likes this.