OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker has been spectacular.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Devin Booker is averaging 26.1 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 5 assists per game on 53.5/50/90.3 shooting splits with the Suns’ record at 5-2. Not only is Booker on an All-Star pace, but All-NBA at this rate. He’s the hottest scorer in the league right now.

10:52 PM - 4 Nov 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker playing defense. You bet.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

The head-to-head comparison through the first seven games between the 2018-19 and 2019-20 Suns is certainly eye-opening:

- 18-19: 101.4 OffRtg (27th), 115.5 DefRtg (28th), -14.1 NetRtg (30th) - 19-20: 108.8 OffRtg (10th), 100.9 DefRtg (T6th), +7.8 NetRtg (4th)

3:34 PM - 5 Nov 2019

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

The head-to-head comparison through the first seven games between the 2018-19 and 2019-20 Suns is certainly eye-opening:

- 18-19: 101.4 OffRtg (27th), 115.5 DefRtg (28th), -14.1 NetRtg (30th) - 19-20: 108.8 OffRtg (10th), 100.9 DefRtg (T6th), +7.8 NetRtg (4th)

3:34 PM - 5 Nov 2019

Sorry. Old fogy here. Those numbers don't mean a thing to me. :oops:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm getting old too, perhaps I can translate. The "3:34 PM" is the time and "5 Nov 2019" is the date. The other numbers are just stuff that spewed out from their random number generator.
All you need to know is that we were near last in the league in both offense and defense last season. This year the team is in the top 10 in both categories.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think many on this board severely underrated the impact that Ricky Rubio would have on the Suns. IMO he is the single greatest contributor to the Suns current record. I didn't watch a ton of Suns games last year, but every game I watched, it was so obvious that even an average NBA PG would have contributed to probably 10 more wins last year. As it stands, I expect Rubio alone probably will add 15 more wins compared to last year, because he is a little bit better than average.

Add in Baynes, Kaminsky, Carter, and later in the season, Johnson and Jerome, and this team could easily win 20-25 more games. Rubio is the key though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think many on this board severely underrated the impact that Ricky Rubio would have on the Suns. IMO he is the single greatest contributor to the Suns current record. I didn't watch a ton of Suns games last year, but every game I watched, it was so obvious that even an average NBA PG would have contributed to probably 10 more wins last year. As it stands, I expect Rubio alone probably will add 15 more wins compared to last year, because he is a little bit better than average.

Add in Baynes, Kaminsky, Carter, and later in the season, Johnson and Jerome, and this team could easily win 20-25 more games. Rubio is the key though.

I think that's a little high but whatever it would have been, I believe we'd have seen a similar level of improvement just by adding a league average shooting guard to play next to Booker.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think that's a little high but whatever it would have been, I believe we'd have seen a similar level of improvement just by adding a league average shooting guard to play next to Booker.

I know before the Sixers game, the Suns were leading the league in assisted baskets......last year they were worst by a wide margin.

I don't think a league average SG would have even close to the impact Rubio is having.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know before the Sixers game, the Suns were leading the league in assisted baskets......last year they were worst by a wide margin.

I don't think a league average SG would have even close to the impact Rubio is having.

Sounds like you're giving almost the entire credit for this to Rubio while ignoring that Booker played without a shooting guard and without a power forward. I made the point many times last season that we didn't have an NBA roster, you "liked" those posts on more than one occasion. So, why, now, are you giving so little attention to the fact we replaced so many of those negative impact players with actual NBA players?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a combination of a lot of things especially a new GM and a coach.

It's hard to weight the impact of every player but having a point guard (Rubio) and Oubre available from the start of the season is huge.

And Baynes... where would the Suns be without him. It's so nice have a power forward (Saric) and NBA depth.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's hard to weight the impact of every player but having a point guard (Rubio) and Oubre available from the start of the season is huge.

And Baynes... where would the Suns be without him. It's so nice have a power forward (Saric) and NBA depth.

Yeah I'd be hard pressed to give anyone more credit so far than Baynes although Rubio does come close especially with his court leadership. And then, like you said, we have Oubre available. But we've had positive contributions from other new additions too, Carter for example. We just went from a roster of kids, old folks and G Leaguers to one of the deepest teams we've ever had.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without Rubio though the Suns would be an assembly of nice pieces but no straw to stir the drink.

The Suns are almost a perfect storm but in a good way.

Ironically for all the criticism Robert Sarver has received, he may be responsible for turning around the franchise. He hired James Jones as general manager and hired Monty Williams as head coach. The latter may not have been possible if Sarver had not admitted some of the past mistakes he has made with the franchise.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Can't argue with this.

1. James Jones changes the philosophy from gathering assets to putting together a roster of NBA players. He also hires Monty.
2. Monty changes the culture with the players and playing style. This is the first time I can remember the Suns playing this type of defense, and I have been a fan since 1976.
3. Ricky Rubio is making the offense flow. He is like oil on a stuck lock.
4. Baynes has stepped in and held down the middle. His d, his shooting, and his defensive leadership (talking etc) have been essential.
5. Book has bought in to all of this.
6. And then there is Robert Sarver who was willing to pay three coaches (I think he is still paying Watson and Igor), two GM's, and get himself out of the picture in order for this team to prosper.

A lot of things came together.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't argue with this.

1. James Jones changes the philosophy from gathering assets to putting together a roster of NBA players. He also hires Monty.
2. Monty changes the culture with the players and playing style. This is the first time I can remember the Suns playing this type of defense, and I have been a fan since 1976.
3. Ricky Rubio is making the offense flow. He is like oil on a stuck lock.
4. Baynes has stepped in and held down the middle. His d, his shooting, and his defensive leadership (talking etc) have been essential.
5. Book has bought in to all of this.
6. And then there is Robert Sarver who was willing to pay three coaches (I think he is still paying Watson and Igor), two GM's, and get himself out of the picture in order for this team to prosper.

A lot of things came together.

And let's not forget Kelly Oubre. Trading Trevor Ariza for him was huge. I still view him as that possible third piece along with Booker and Ayton.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sounds like you're giving almost the entire credit for this to Rubio while ignoring that Booker played without a shooting guard and without a power forward. I made the point many times last season that we didn't have an NBA roster, you "liked" those posts on more than one occasion. So, why, now, are you giving so little attention to the fact we replaced so many of those negative impact players with actual NBA players?

I'm not....I'm saying the BIGGEST impact is made by having Rubio.

I was really happy with nearly every move that Jones made this offseason. When I watched the Suns last year, I saw 4, maybe 5, NBA players. The roster didn't need a superstar, the roster needed good to average players.

But Rubio has been the one who has made everyone more effective, while also filling stats at a position that at some nights was accounting for 7 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists while making no one better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard