Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Muggz

Muggz Free Agent

If all Baynes did was sit on the bench and help Ayton develop it was worth it. But imo we got much more outta him. Holmes is not the teaching type yet.

Now we need to find a hard nosed center that kicks ass under the basket and spends time at the ft line to rub off on Ayton.
    Like Phrazbit said look how quickly Ayton is coming along, there are centers that have gone their whole career without going for 30 pts or 19 rebounds.

2. WildBB

WildBB Air Raid Locked n Loaded

Hopefully he can develop more on the other end. He's only had a hand full of games he's legitimately impacted on that end. Suns haven't improved enough after some early success (without him).

Muggz likes this.
  3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

4. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

5. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Probably to say nice things about Book the all-star.

6. leclerc

leclerc The smooth operator

Sarver sell the team

7. offset

offset i have a special purpose

I’m not a huge fan of Bourguet, but I thought this was a good article about Cam Johnson.

Hoop Head and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  8. Mainstreet

I really like the Suns addition of Jonah Bolden. He has only played one game with the Suns but he brings more height, athleticism and shooting to C/F position. If he continues to show something I hope the Suns sign him to more than a 10-day contract. Maybe he can be a depth player for next season.

It would be great to look at another free agent as well but the Suns have 17 players under contract. Jared Harper and Tariq Owens are on two-way contracts.

BC867 likes this.
  9. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

I would be very surprised if either Harper or Owens is brought back next year, even on Two-Way deals. Harper is too small and Owens just sucks.

I hope Bolden is retained though, I'm a fan already. He brings more than Diallo to the table. Keeping him would make sense based on what both Monty and James Jones said about filling that roster spot as well. They said they're not looking for a rental or short term bandaid, they want someone that can help now with the potential to stick around and be part of the team going forward.

Just to note, Bolden is in his 2nd year and as a 2nd year player he is eligible to be signed to a Two-Way contract next season, if he and the team decide to go that way. We'll see what happens there. I'm glad that's a possibility still. If a player has played in less than 3 seasons they can sign a Two-Way deal. CBA FAQ on Two-Way deals, for reference on that less than 3 seasons.

10. Mainstreet

Agree with you about Harper and Owens. I'd like some players on two-way contracts that can play in an emergency and possibly develop for the future.

I'm very happy with what I have seen of Diallo as a depth player. The same with Bolden thus far. Providing there is not slippage, I'd like to have them both back next year as the 14-15 players on the roster. I guess Lecque falls into the category of a deep roster player as well. The Suns need athletes at the 4/5.

Maybe the Suns can sign Bolden to one of those multiyear contract with team options. I don't want to lose him at this point based on what I have seen. Wish the Suns could kick the tires on another player.

11. Chaplin

You see, this is crazy to me. It isn't fiscally responsible to give a multiyear contract to a guy who signed a 10-day and has only appeared in ONE game for the club. That is ridiculous. At least try to see if he can be consistent or not.

He was signed to a 10-day! IF he was as good as you claim he is, why bother, why not sign him outright since we have a roster spot with Tyler gone?

12. Chaplin

Phrazbit and offset like this.
  13. Mainstreet

There is not much risk if a team can sign a player on a multi-year contract for a small amount of money with team options. Granted we need to see more of Bolden but I hope the Suns look this direction if they like what they see. My guess the Suns will sign Bolden to a second 10 day contract if applicable and go from there.

14. Chaplin

That's exactly what they are going to do. My question to you, if none of his following performances match what he did in our first game with him, will you still be clamoring for him to sign a multiyear deal? Especially with all our injured players (sans 1) returning?

I also imagine that the salary on a 10-day is much less than that of any multiyear contract, even at the minimum.

15. Mainstreet

Of course if Bolden doesn't work out well with the Suns they should stick to the 10 day contracts. However, if he shows future potential I would hope they consider going the multi-year, team option route rather than let him hit the market again next season.