Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This debate has been raged repeatedly... but I don't see any argument for Dragic being a fit with Booker, especially the Dragic who played in Phoenix. Dragic back stabbed the team because he refused to play off the ball... he also was and still is a dog **** defender. It is hard to imagine a worse fit for Booker; a ball hog who doesn't give half a crap on D.

On skill-set alone Bledsoe is a better fit by 1,000 miles.

The problem is something Bledsoe and Dragic have in common... when the going gets tough... they are both quitting ass losers.

Bledsoe quit because he couldn't handle being on a rebuilding team. Dragic quit because he wanted the ball. Dragic would have had zero interest in playing second fiddle to a teenage Booker.

If I had a do-over in life I would have kept both Steve Nash and Goran Dragic. This is not to say Dallas didn't have a huge role in improving Nash's game.

The issue as I view it, Dragic should have always remained the Suns point guard. However, after they acquired Bledsoe in a ridiculously good trade, they wanted Dragic to play off the ball. And the acquisition of Isaiah Thomas didn't help things one bit. It just reaffirmed that Dragic would play the shooting guard role in Phoenix.

I don't blame the Suns for trying the Bledsoe-IT-Dragic trio but when push came to shove, Bledsoe and IT should have been the ones to go.

Dragic was always a bit of a combo guard in that he liked to shoot and create. I can't imagine a better fit next to Booker. I really like Rubio but a combo guard playing next to Booker is exactly what the Suns need. He would really take the pressure off Booker.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If I had a do-over in life I would have kept both Steve Nash and Goran Dragic. This is not to say Dallas didn't have a huge role in improving Nash's game.

The issue as I view it, Dragic should have always remained the Suns point guard. However, after they acquired Bledsoe in a ridiculously good trade, they wanted Dragic to play off the ball. And the acquisition of Isaiah Thomas didn't help things one bit. It just reaffirmed that Dragic would play the shooting guard role in Phoenix.

I don't blame the Suns for trying the Bledsoe-IT-Dragic trio but when push came to shove, Bledsoe and IT should have been the ones to go.

Dragic was always a bit of a combo guard in that he liked to shoot and create. I can't imagine a better fit next to Booker. I really like Rubio but a combo guard playing next to Booker is exactly what the Suns need. He would really take the pressure off Booker.

In this draft, that is Haliburton and MAYBE Killian Hayes.

I still think a starting power forward is our #1 need, though.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score

I agree with the PF comment.

Jalen and Ayton would be a nightmare running the court. If Ayton and Smith continue to improve from 3 point range, the Suns would almost be impossible to guard.

They would have two rim running shot blockers that can shoot 3's and play like big men.

Twin tower 3 point shooters that block shots and rebound.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree with the PF comment.

Jalen and Ayton would be a nightmare running the court. If Ayton and Smith continue to improve from 3 point range, the Suns would almost be impossible to guard.

They would have two rim running shot blockers that can shoot 3's and play like big men.

Twin tower 3 point shooters that block shots and rebound.

Obviously, he does a lot more on offense, but it’s not unlike KD/Ibaka during the OKC days.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, what's the knock on Jalen Smith? Outside shooting big who can block shots seems ideal to put next to Ayton.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd go BPA but in this draft it's not so clear who that is at #10.

Hopefully Jones and Bowers have done their homework and scouted these players.

I wouldn't shy away from any player because of position. I have my favorites based on video tape but nothing beats live action.

I'm liking Haliburton, Hayes, Vassell, Toppin, Jalen Smith and Achiuwa.

However, I wouldn't rule out trading down and acquiring another asset much like the 2019 draft.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
so, what's the knock on Jalen Smith? Outside shooting big who can block shots seems ideal to put next to Ayton.

Question is whether he has good enough feet to defend, and enough/any skill on offense if he’s crowded.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston has been the aggressor all game against Toronto. Looks like they will go up 3-2.

They lead Raptors 92-73 in the 4th quarter.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Lateral movement, strength, timing, rawness and possibly BBIQ.

He is by no means a sure thing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd go BPA but in this draft it's not so clear who that is at #10.

Hopefully Jones and Bowers have done their homework and scouted these players.

I wouldn't shy away from any player because of position. I have my favorites based on video tape but nothing beats live action.

I'm liking Haliburton, Hayes, Vassell, Toppin, Jalen Smith and Achiuwa.

However, I wouldn't rule out trading down and acquiring another asset much like the 2019 draft.

I concur, and I would add Williams, Nesmith and Saddiq Bey to your list (which I also like) as possibilities at 10 and Carey and Stewart as possibilities if we trade down.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celtics groom Daniel Theis for a couple of seasons and he steps up at center.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celtics beat Raptors 111-89 and lead series 3-2.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s not a stellar athlete. Is a little light in the lower body, and didn’t have great lateral movement.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Mostly just strength , he had some comical highlights where you aren't sure if he was flopping or really just that overpowered

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder how Cam's stats for the games he started stack up against Oubre's starting games. Small sample i know but still curious.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wonder how Cam's stats for the games he started stack up against Oubre's starting games. Small sample i know but still curious.

Just remember how often the Suns got down early and played from behind, particularly in the 8 game win streak in the bubble...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just remember how often the Suns got down early and played from behind, particularly in the 8 game win streak in the bubble...

Not as often as you'd like. They only trailed Dallas after the 1st and 2nd quarters. Every other team they gave up a lead to in the 1st, they got back before the half. That includes OKC who went up 14 but the Suns took a 1 point lead into the half. That OKC is 100% on Ayton missing that 1st quarter also, not Cam. Again, you're making things up to fit a false narrative.

Kelly was much better but Cam wasn't awful.

Kelly averaged 18.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.5 apg
Cam averaged 13.3 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2.1 apg

Cam's stats are starting in the bubble. He started 1 game in February for some reason. However using that game does drop his stats a little bit, 12.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg, and 2.4 apg.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not as often as you'd like. They only trailed Dallas after the 1st and 2nd quarters. Every other team they gave up a lead to in the 1st, they got back before the half. That includes OKC who went up 14 but the Suns took a 1 point lead into the half. That OKC is 100% on Ayton missing that 1st quarter also, not Cam. Again, you're making things up to fit a false narrative.

It is you who are making things up here. I said the Suns were routinely getting down early and playing from behind. I never said that they were necessarily still behind at the half.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is you who are making things up here. I said the Suns were routinely getting down early and playing from behind. I never said that they were necessarily still behind at the half.

They had the lead after the 1st quarter against the Wizards, Clippers, Pacers, and Dallas' second game. 4 of 8 isn't "routinely", especially when they didn't fall behind by much or for long. I'm not making anything up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave