Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns lose another assistant coach. Hopefully that means the Suns are doing a good job.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns lose another assistant coach. Hopefully that means the Suns are doing a good job.

I hope you're right but I suspect it reflects our deep commitment to the dollar saved, penny earned approach. I understand we need to tighten our belts but turnover and cutting costs, even in coaching ranks, can burn money too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you're right but I suspect it reflects our deep commitment to the dollar saved, penny earned approach. I understand we need to tighten our belts but turnover and cutting costs, even in coaching ranks, can burn money too.

I was trying to put a positive spin on it but I suspect you are right.

The latest tweet by Adrian Wojnarowski says a lot about the talent the Suns are losing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep in mind they may have lost 3 assistant but I believe there were only 2 part of the bubble staff. I know Steve Blake was let go before the bubble.

I really hope Mark Bryant isn't another assistant we lose because Ayton needs the stability.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind they may have lost 3 assistant but I believe there were only 2 part of the bubble staff. I know Steve Blake was let go before the bubble.

I really hope Mark Bryant isn't another assistant we lose because Ayton needs the stability.

I thought Blake and Greer were both let go at the same time, mid July as I recall. But either way, I'm not understanding the relevance when pointing out that some were pre-bubble?

And I agree about not wanting to lose Bryant too but I'm worried about stability with each of these moves.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Blake and Greer were both let go at the same time, mid July as I recall. But either way, I'm not understanding the relevance when pointing out that some were pre-bubble?

And I agree about not wanting to lose Bryant too but I'm worried about stability with each of these moves.

You're probably right about Greer being let go at the same time as Blake. I think pre-bubble matters because we saw this team's potential realized more in the bubble and disrupting what worked there in the name of the dollar would be more disappointing than usual. I'm trying to look at it from a continuity point of view though and am glad we have the primary bubble coaches still part of the staff.

I can totally see Sarver thinking we wouldn't need anyone other than who was part of the bubble since the team performed well there, so the odds of hiring replacements would be slimmer than usual but it can be justified in his banker brain.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...I can totally see Sarver thinking we wouldn't need anyone other than who was part of the bubble since the team performed well there, so the odds of hiring replacements would be slimmer than usual but it can be justified in his banker brain.

I just don't think that's what we're seeing though. This is a reaction to the loss of revenue this year and the projectable losses in upcoming years due to Covid. I believe that every decision Sarver makes about this team and this organization will reflect his need to stringently manage expenses. I really expect him to sell if he gets an offer that approaches the listed value but in the meantime, he's not going to lose any more money if he can help it.

Unlike many here, I'm not a Sarver basher when I say this, I just think we're seeing something like what happened when he instructed Kerr to reduce expenses (which resulted in the Kurt Thomas trade) only it's an even more pressing situation. He won't intentionally destroy this team and it's future but I expect winning will be considerably less important than the bottom line. The bottom line has always been a factor for him but it will actually drive the decision making for a few years.

To be clear, I'm not claiming any inside information, this is all just speculation on my part.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don't think that's what we're seeing though. This is a reaction to the loss of revenue this year and the projectable losses in upcoming years due to Covid. I believe that every decision Sarver makes about this team and this organization will reflect his need to stringently manage expenses. I really expect him to sell if he gets an offer that approaches the listed value but in the meantime, he's not going to lose any more money if he can help it.

Unlike many here, I'm not a Sarver basher when I say this, I just think we're seeing something like what happened when he instructed Kerr to reduce expenses (which resulted in the Kurt Thomas trade) only it's an even more pressing situation. He won't intentionally destroy this team and it's future but I expect winning will be considerably less important than the bottom line. The bottom line has always been a factor for him but it will actually drive the decision making for a few years.

To be clear, I'm not claiming any inside information, this is all just speculation on my part.

I know you aren't the typical Sarver basher and respect your opinion on this but I think slightly different in regards to how Sarver will handle things this year. He's got his arena and training center now but the economic hit of COVID will play a big part in a lot of decisions. I don't see him cheaping out entirely because I think he knows there is a still a pressure to perform and I also think he's tired of losing as well. This team is so close to being competitive and if he's learned anything over the last decade it's that winning teams can't be built overnight so if he allows things to slip too far back then he could be looking at another decade of losing, which I don't think he wants.

I think we'll need to wait until free agency to see his true intentions. Losing coaches sucks but they also hired a good player development guy from Minnesota already to help as well, which isn't nothing. So at least one of the coaches has been replaced. I do expect a quiet offseason from the Suns with little chance of them spending on anything other than their own free agents, primarily Saric and that won't be much, he'll probably take up what he made plus Frank The Tank's salary last year, and then they'll look for minimum contract sort of players to round out the rest. A lot will depend on when the season starts and if fans are going to be in the arena or not. I think we, as Suns fans, need to hope and pray they will allow no less than 50% capacity for Sarver to continue paying out for this club. The losses shouldn't be too high then. There's also the possibility the longer things are delayed the closer the renovation is to complete, which will help him recoup some costs. So time will tell.

I too believe he'll sell if he gets a close to pre-Covid level offer for the team. Whether that happens or not, who knows but I wouldn't bet on it, even as a longshot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal @Hoop Head

Wouldn't this all be a nice prelude to Sarver selling the team sooner rather than later.

Some of these moves fit but some might be penny pinching.

There is one other factor... Devin Booker. He puts all of this on a timer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@AzStevenCal @Hoop Head

Wouldn't this all be a nice prelude to Sarver selling the team sooner rather than later.

Some of these moves fit but some might be penny pinching.

There is one other factor... Devin Booker. He puts all of this on a timer.

Maybe Booker can get his girl to buy the team? I don't recall if he's dating Kylie or Kendall but I do recall hearing Kylie Jenner was worth like $1.2 billion.

Never thought I'd see the day where I wished a Kardashian bought my favorite sports team but 2020 is weird man.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Yup, you can't build a consistent (winning) team with inconsistency on the coaching staff.

I am not necessarily suggesting Dan Majerle, but I wonder what he is going to do, now
that he is an unemployed basketball coach. His brother Jeff oversees the restaurants.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Booker can get his girl to buy the team? I don't recall if he's dating Kylie or Kendall but I do recall hearing Kylie Jenner was worth like $1.2 billion.

Never thought I'd see the day where I wished a Kardashian bought my favorite sports team but 2020 is weird man.

She could certainly afford to be a majority owner. Wouldn't that take the NBA by storm.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, you can't build a consistent (winning) team with inconsistency on the coaching staff.

I am not necessarily suggesting Dan Majerle, but I wonder what he is going to do, now
that he is an unemployed basketball coach. His brother Jeff oversees the restaurants.

I'm not suggesting Dan Majerle either as an assistant or special coach but it would come full circle and the Suns could do worse.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson finished 17th in All-Rookie teams voting.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Cam Johnson finished 17th in All-Rookie teams voting.

I’m curious how much he would of moved up if Bubble play was taken into account.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m curious how much he would of moved up if Bubble play was taken into account.

So, my first choice at #11 (Clarke) was first team all-rookie, and my second and third choices (Herro and Washington) were second team. Cam wouldn't have even made third team, if there was one.

5 good games in an 8 game bubble do not a season make.

While he might develop into a decent role player, Cam at 11 was still a mistake, and he DEFINITELY is not the answer at starting power forward.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
So, my first choice at #11 (Clarke) was first team all-rookie, and my second and third choices (Herro and Washington) were second team. Cam wouldn't have even made third team, if there was one.

5 good games in an 8 game bubble do not a season make.

While he might develop into a decent role player, Cam at 11 was still a mistake, and he DEFINITELY is not the answer at starting power forward.
Man, you are a miserable person. Must be a sad existence.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Man, you are a miserable person. Must be a sad existence.

No, I am a realist. I chose not to live in denial or delusion. If that makes me sad and miserable, so be it. At least it makes me sane.

Simple math: Cam was the #11 pick but was the 17th best rookie. He was overdrafted by 6 spots. In any universe, 17-11=6. And before you say it was only one season, he is the oldest rookie, which means he has the lowest ceiling. What we see is what we get. 17th best is the BEST he will ever be in this class...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I am a realist. I chose not to live in denial or delusion. If that makes me sad and miserable, so be it. At least it makes me sane.

Simple math: Cam was the #11 pick but was the 17th best rookie. He was overdrafted by 6 spots. In any universe, 17-11=6. And before you say it was only one season, he is the oldest rookie, which means he has the lowest ceiling. What we see is what we get. 17th best is the BEST he will ever be in this class...

When you use stats to evaluate players over more than their rookie season expect to get some messed up results.

Last edited:

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

Getting 17th in Total Points does not equate to being the 17th best rookie. Theoretically, he could have been #11 on all but three of the ballots (or dead last on all but three ballots). The only way to determine where Cam would fall would be to have the voters rank their top 20ish.

Plus, Nunn and Porter weren't in this draft so they should be omitted from the discussion of best draftable players at #11. We should also consider Paschall and Davis III were freak instances in great franchises.

So said differently, if you only count 2019 first round draft picks, Cam could conceivably be voted top 10.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson