Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

Mainstreet likes this.
  2. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

Mainstreet likes this.
  3. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I noticed it last night when Rubio appeared to jam his fingers and wondered if it would be an ongoing problem. I guess now we know.

Mainstreet likes this.
  4. Suns_fan69

Suns_fan69 Official ASFN Lurker

A friend of mine sent me this which I thought was interesting:

The Suns are actually generating the second-highest number of open 3 point shots in the league, but are connecting at a poor rate (below average though hard to tell the actual ranking from that image).

Hoop Head likes this.
  5. CRC83

CRC83 Registered

Interesting chart. Look at the Raptors...wow!

6. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

That’s incredibly frustrating to me because imo the trade off for adding less athletic players seemed to be superior shooting. So even with GREAT opportunities being generated that plan isn’t paying off.

7. CRC83

CRC83 Registered

Take Kaminsky and Bridges out and probably looks a lot better. Feel like they’ve missed a lot of open shots.

8. itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan Registered

On the other hand, it could be looked at as a positive. It means the system we're running is generating the high value opportunities we want, more than almost every other team in the league. Schematically, we're a good offensive basketball team. Now, we might be due some positive regression, but at the very least this is additional evidence that we're on the right path and Monty is the real deal.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Mainstreet, gbrim21 and AzStevenCal like this.
  9. 95pro

95pro Registered

I think Saric and Kaminsky can get a pass on the 3 point shooting, they've been trying to cover the block with no other help defense or shot alterer/blocker behind them. Ayton has to go and screw things up, Baynes injuries and Diallo with the sickness.

Bridges and Cam are still young-ish, need to fill out and add strength. Cam is a great set shooter, i think teams have been trying to run him off the 3pt line.

Bridges, they're letting him shoot. What i've noticed on Bridges is that he tries to measure it up, which makes his shot slower and longer, when he was shooting with no thought he had a quicker release which is something I noticed in summer league watching him in live action. Lately, his 3pt shot confidence is way down, but i've like him attacking the rim although he still needs strength in finishing, also it just seems like he's afraid of being blocked or hammered while attacking the rim.

10. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Kaminsky yes but Bridges just hasn't shot enough 3's to really make a difference, he only has 24 total misses from distance. Even if everyone of his misses were wide open it would only be slightly more than 1 miss per game. From watching the games I'd say that Kaminsky and Oubre have the most wide open misses from the arc followed probably by Devin. Percentage wise, I'd bet that Rubio has had a lot of wide open misses too but like Mikal he doesn't take as many as the other guys.

All told though I'd say Kaminsky has easily caused us the most problems from the 3 point line. Especially when you consider his wide open misses in addition all the times he's just passed out of a wide open three - or hesitated just long enough for the defense to recover.

11. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

Chris_Sanders likes this.
  12. 95pro

95pro Registered

His guard rotation can only leave you guessing. They've all started, backup'd, recorded a DNP...idk if that reflects our depth which i thought we had OR reflects that other than Rubio we have no justified backup.

13. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

14. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  15. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

"I'd love perfection but I'm really good with growth right now."

Monty has a way of praising his team while communicating serious expectations for improvement. That is really difficult to do.

Hoop Head and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.