Suns trade ideas for the fall of 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see 1 guy there that 1sun would be happy with. All those guys are flawed

Let's throw Montrezl Harrell, Serge Ibaka and Derrick Favors out there as well.

Edit: I see they were mentioned. I will add Bobby Portis.

Chris Boucher also might be available.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
seriously.

Gordon and Lauri aren’t coming here. If Orlando was going to trade Gordon they would of done it by now. Why would the bulls trade Lauri?

Julius Randle? The Ghost of Paul Milsap? Derrick Favors?

none of those guys impress me. None of those guys are athletic they actually make us worse in the athletic department

Harry Giles lol

Why would Ibaka come here he’s not a PF he’s a center. Montrez is going to want to get paid.

your just naming names dude when in reality only 2 or 3 are better than Saric

Those that don't give us much-needed athleticism give us much-needed bulk/strength. We are sorely lacking in both at the power forward position. If we can't get both, I will settle for one or the other.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be okay with Grant or Gallinari. Bertans is yet another unathletic one dimensional spot up shooter who can't defend, rebound or put the ball on the floor. Wood is vastly overrated, in my opinion and is a typical empty stat guy.

so you would want Gallinari next to Ayton? You think that gets it done

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seriously.

Gordon and Lauri aren’t coming here. If Orlando was going to trade Gordon they would of done it by now. Why would the bulls trade Lauri?

Julius Randle? The Ghost of Paul Milsap? Derrick Favors?

none of those guys impress me. None of those guys are athletic they actually make us worse in the athletic department

Harry Giles lol

Why would Ibaka come here he’s not a PF he’s a center. Montrez is going to want to get paid.

your just naming names dude when in reality only 2 or 3 are better than Saric

Ibaka is a C? WTF are you talking about? He has NEVER been a center. Has ALWAYS been a PF with the Thunder whether he was next to Perkins at C or then Adams at C and the last two years the PF for the raptors next to Gasol at C.

Derrick Favors isn't athletic?

I get the frustration some have with 1sun who admittedly seeks perfection from this team too fast, but takes like the above that Ibaka is a C and Favors isn't athletic are just as ridiculous as some of his.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric was a consistent disaster as a starter but a solid contributor as a combo back-up. To return him to starter status would be beyond foolish, in my opinion. He is clearly best suited to coming off the bench.

That's a gross exaggeration. He was a disappointment but he was nowhere close to being a "consistent disaster". We needed him to be an above average starter but until the bubble he played like a slightly below average starter.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
so you would want Gallinari next to Ayton? You think that gets it done

There are others I would prefer, but he would certainly be better than Saric or Cam starting at the 4. While only average athletically, he still has more athleticism than Saric and Cam, he can put the ball on the floor, and he is grittier and tougher inside than Saric and Cam.

Does Gallinari give us the athleticism and/or strength/bulk we need at the 4? No. But it is impossible to argue that he wouldn't be an upgrade.

Same goes for Jerami Grant, by the way.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's a gross exaggeration. He was a disappointment but he was nowhere close to being a "consistent disaster". We needed him to be an above average starter but until the bubble he played like a slightly below average starter.

He was so bad as a starter that he was removed from the rotation entirely for a while. I don't think you recall just how bad he was as a starter.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The fact is there are no easy fixes or answers for what the Suns need to notably improve next year. There are no good (realistic) FA fixes and no remotely reasonable trade scenarios that move the needle.

The best hope is to either move up for Toppin, or stay in the general area where they are and pick Smith or Achiuwa... and then hope that one of those guys is good enough to quickly upgrade their post scoring and rebounding. It's not a sure thing by any stretch, but it's the best realistic option.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t see 1 guy there that 1sun would be happy with. All those guys are flawed

Not my criteria for finding a fit. :)

I would suggest anyone who considers Bertans to be a "spot up shooter" to watch the guy play. He's magical. Not a guy who stands by the three point line waiting to catch. He reminds me more of top shooting guards the way he gets his shots off. Obviously, he isn't an ideal defender, but the Spurs had better defensive numbers with him than without him when he was there...so he's not a lost cause as a team defender.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Title is a joke, of course, but this video illustrates my point well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact is there are no easy fixes or answers for what the Suns need to notably improve next year. There are no good (realistic) FA fixes and no remotely reasonable trade scenarios that move the needle.

The best hope is to either move up for Toppin, or stay in the general area where they are and pick Smith or Achiuwa... and then hope that one of those guys is good enough to quickly upgrade their post scoring and rebounding. It's not a sure thing by any stretch, but it's the best realistic option.

The Suns best hope for improving may be Ayton taking the next step.

That said, I think the Suns found a design for winning in the bubble. Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Cam Johnson and Ayton are not chopped liver.

Then add Saric, Oubre, Carter and Cam Payne to the mix the Suns have a base.

After that add a guard or power forward in the draft or free agency plus depth at the 4/5 and they are cooking.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With one exception, this was nothing but a series of spot-up shots...

A) You obviously didn't watch the whole video.
B) My main point being there is a huge difference between the shots guys like Dario and Frank are shooting versus the shots Bertans is getting up. It's mainly catch-and-shoot, but far more mobility and variance than "spot up shooter" implies. Reggie Miller wasn't exactly a heavy dribbler, but you wouldn't call him a "spot up shooter".

Anyone who wants to watch this guy with an open mind, you'll be impressed.

Added: Considering the amount of time I spent trying to convince you Ja Morant and Isaiah Canaan were vastly different players while getting nowhere, this will be my last post on the subject.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A) You obviously didn't watch the whole video.
B) My main point being there is a huge difference between the shots guys like Dario and Frank are shooting versus the shots Bertans is getting up. It's mainly catch-and-shoot, but far more mobility and variance than "spot up shooter" implies. Reggie Miller wasn't exactly a heavy dribbler, but you wouldn't call him a "spot up shooter".

Anyone who wants to watch this guy with an open mind, you'll be impressed.

Added: Considering the amount of time I spent trying to convince you Ja Morant and Isaiah Canaan were vastly different players while getting nowhere, this will be my last post on the subject.

Just about every play was an immediate catch and shoot, a la Saric, though he does have a quicker release than Saric. Also, he can't get more than a foot off the ground, a la Saric. He has a sweet stroke, but he still can't defend, rebound or take the ball to the hoop, which makes him a liability in any role other than a pure catch and shoot guy off the bench. Miller could take the ball to the hoop, and he could create for himself and others. Bertans can't.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Bertans but he has not been a regular season starter in four seasons. I'd be thrilled to get him but I can't see the Suns paying him top dollar to come off the bench. Also I don't think Bertans and Bridges would work as starters defensively. Ayton will need more help.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bertada01.html

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That trade is a joke for Minnesota. Not even worth discussing.

Maybe but I wouldn't make that trade for Phoenix either. There just isn't any player I'd be thrilled to grab at the top and that's without considering the higher contract numbers. If Minnesota has a player in its sights that they think would be a top 5 pick in a typical draft, it's a weak trade for them, but if not, I could see them making this kind of deal with us or someone else.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That trade is a joke for Minnesota. Not even worth discussing.

I suspect several teams will be looking to move down in this draft with so much unproven talent at the top.

From the Suns stand point I wouldn't do it unless they want to dump Oubre's salary for an unproven rookie and then they would have to pay that pick. Essentially the Suns would be giving up two young players in Oubre and #10 for a swing at the piñata.

This trade makes a lot of sense for the Knicks at #8 who may want LaMello Ball.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson