Suns trade ideas for the fall of 2020

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oladipo is not a PG stop. That’s asking way to much. Just cause can play PG in a pinch doesn’t mean he’s a full time PG in the NBA same with Booker.

That’s what we need is a PG who can distribute who can get Booker and Ayton the ball. Booker is the only guy on this roster that can get his own shot.

we just went through all this with no real PG on the roster
Oubre can get his own shot. It’s not always a great shot, but he can do so.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oladipo is not a PG stop. That’s asking way to much. Just cause can play PG in a pinch doesn’t mean he’s a full time PG in the NBA same with Booker.

That’s what we need is a PG who can distribute who can get Booker and Ayton the ball. Booker is the only guy on this roster that can get his own shot.

A combo guard like Malcolm Brogdon would work alongside Booker as long as the Suns have backup point guards.

The bigger issue which I think @Hoop Head is touching on is adding another star player. The Suns can't always be reactive while other teams are proactive.

I don't know if Oladipo can be that player because of injuries but it doesn't hurt to check it out. He is a combo guard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oladipo has been a combo guard since he's been in the league. Asking him to be a combo guard with another combo guard in Booker isn't setting this team back. If Ricky were capable of being a consistent 3pt threat or keeping defenses honest then I wouldn't think of trading him but we could use an upgrade there. Oladipo may not be the passer Rubio is but he's a better scorer, defender, and shooter than Rubio is. He is an all NBA talent and pairing him with Booker would create a lethal backcourt for the Suns that I'd put up against Steph and Klay, Lillard and McCollum, or Westbrook and Harden.

I think including the extra 1st might be much with Oladipo's injury history but if there were sufficient protection, lottery protected, then I'd definitely make the deal. It would up the talent we have and then we could look at trading Oubre for a more pure PG during the season if it's not working well but I don't think that will be the case.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not trading my PG for a guy with very serious injury concerns

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-trail-blazers-suns-warriors-deal/3594141001/

Damn AzCentral nearly caused me a heart attack with this article. I thought they were reporting it a done deal.

I saw the proposal a couple of days ago
https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/10/0...in-three-way-trade-with-blazers-and-warriors/

Phoenix Suns receive: Damian Lillard

Portland Trail Blazers receive: Ricky Rubio, Mikal Bridges, Alen Smailagic, Jordan Poole, No. 2 pick (from GSW), 2022 first-round pick (top-three-protected from PHX), 2024 first-round pick (unprotected from PHX)

Golden State Warriors receive: Kelly Oubre Jr., No. 10 pick (from PHX)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Interesting. Why would Lillard leave Portland to not go to a contender? Maybe the numbers work, but would this work for Lillard?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Why would Lillard leave Portland to not go to a contender? Maybe the numbers work, but would this work for Lillard?

Lillard is under contract through 2023/24 with a player option the following season.

Portland receives a ton of compensation.

I guess it depends how Lillard feels about Deandre Ayton and Devin Booker.

The trade idea doesn't particularly excite me but the Suns need to look for another star.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get why Phoenix and GS do but why would Portland do it.

Lillard is loved in Portland and wants to be there

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
While Lillard is my favorite current NBA point guard, I don't think that proposed trade leaves the Suns in good shape.

Yes, they would have a great big three in Lillard, Booker and Ayton, but other than that, all that would be left on the roster are Cam, Carter and Payne, and maybe a re-signed Saric, with no cap space or draft picks left to fill out the holes at power forward, small forward, back-up shooting guard and back-up center.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-trail-blazers-suns-warriors-deal/3594141001/

Damn AzCentral nearly caused me a heart attack with this article. I thought they were reporting it a done deal.

I saw the proposal a couple of days ago
https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/10/0...in-three-way-trade-with-blazers-and-warriors/

Phoenix Suns receive: Damian Lillard

Portland Trail Blazers receive: Ricky Rubio, Mikal Bridges, Alen Smailagic, Jordan Poole, No. 2 pick (from GSW), 2022 first-round pick (top-three-protected from PHX), 2024 first-round pick (unprotected from PHX)

Golden State Warriors receive: Kelly Oubre Jr., No. 10 pick (from PHX)
So . . .

Lilliard

for

Rubio
Bridges
Oubre
3 first round picks

I would love Dame, but that’s pretty silly.
Remind me of going from 3 pgs to none. Except we would’ve gone from four (jJ, warren, oubre, Bridges) to one (cam Johnson).

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah sure 256 million over 6 years im sure Sarver is just wetting his panties to make that deal. It aint ever gonna happen.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Jerami Grant would appear to solve many of our shortcomings.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I doubt we can get one guy to do all three things!

Indeed. I think that if we want to fill all three of our primary needs, our best bet is to trade Oubre for one, draft one at 10 and sign the third one in free agency.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Indeed. I think that if we want to fill all three of our primary needs, our best bet is to trade Oubre for one, draft one at 10 and sign the third one in free agency.
I can see us playing a shorter bench next year as a result. I am just alarmed we don't have that many bigs, or projected to not have that many when we let guys go.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can see us playing a shorter bench next year as a result. I am just alarmed we don't have that many bigs, or projected to not have that many when we let guys go.

We don't have ANY legitimate bigs other than Ayton.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If Baynes were to re-sign here, that would give us a second legitimate big, health issues notwithstanding, but every indication I have seen has him moving on this offseason.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If Baynes were to re-sign here, that would give us a second legitimate big, health issues notwithstanding, but every indication I have seen has him moving on this offseason.
I keep reading that it is his choice he will likely move on. I would not be surprised to see him back in Boston.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep reading that it is his choice he will likely move on. I would not be surprised to see him back in Boston.

I could see it happening if Boston had money to spend but they already have Daniel Theis, Robert Williams and Enes Kanter.

If Boston had a chance to trade Gordon Hayward (player option), I think they would.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I could see it happening if Boston had money to spend but they already have Daniel Theis, Robert Williams and Enes Kanter.

If Boston had a chance to trade Gordon Hayward (player option), I think they would.
I keep hearing that, but that is assuming there isn't a trade or two. I think teams may have to go more trades this year. Just a feeling on the way things are playing out.