Suns to find out about Barry Monday Night/Tuesday Morning

cly2tw

Reaction score
He is a great ball handler and knows how to play with a dominant low post big man. In addition, his 3pt shooting is excellent.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
If it is his party announcing he will make his decision mon or tues, he definitely isnt going back to SA.

Whats he gonna do, announce he is going on vacation for a month then head back to the alamo? If a decision comes tomorrow, it is a non-spur team.

p.s. kerr was at the kansas game tonight scouting talent, shouldnt he be wooing barry!?!

buttsR4rebounding

Registered
Reaction score
It says he's meeting with his family to make the decision. Do you think his family is going to say, "Yeah, Dad, go play somewhere else where we will see you less and everyone will diss us because you left town...".

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
It says he's meeting with his family to make the decision. Do you think his family is going to say, "Yeah, Dad, go play somewhere else where we will see you less and everyone will diss us because you left town...".

Left town!?! They shipped him out! Dont be dense in a feeble attempt to counter a point.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Left town!?! They shipped him out! Dont be dense in a feeble attempt to counter a point.

you're being dense if you don't see the validity of his point. his family is NOT going to want to see him play for another team in another city.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If it is his party announcing he will make his decision mon or tues, he definitely isnt going back to SA.

Whats he gonna do, announce he is going on vacation for a month then head back to the alamo? If a decision comes tomorrow, it is a non-spur team.
There is nothing precluding Barry from announcing tomorrow that he has chosen to return to SA. Just because he can't legally sign with them until 30 days after being traded, it doesn't mean he cannot verbally agree to sign with them right now. Free agents do that all the time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston Globe has ruled out the Celtics.

Saying Spurs, Rockets, and Suns are left in the chase for the coveted Brent Barry.

In better news, Sam Cassell is going to be bought out by the Clips.

He would be 10X the choice for Phoenix.

Hell yeah. We get Cassell, we win the championship. That's how critical I think that he is for our team right now.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
I'll bet on the Spurs

UHHH, same money, family lives in San Antonio, defending champs with better chance than Suns to repeat as champs, 30 days to condition and further recover from injury(due to 30 day delay rule because he was traded from Spurs). He is not coming to Phoenix folks. If he does it will be a bigger upset than the Suns making it to the conference championship.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah. We get Cassell, we win the championship. That's how critical I think that he is for our team right now.

Really? Isn't his skillset redundant though with Nash, or is Nashty breaking down so much that Cassell would be getting a lot of minutes? I didn't think Nash looked like the biggest problem on the team. I'd guess a outside shooter is more important (hence the desire for Barry) since lost marion's ugly but effective shot...just to keep the defense honest.

You know far better than I, though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Isn't his skillset redundant though with Nash, or is Nashty breaking down so much that Cassell would be getting a lot of minutes? I didn't think Nash looked like the biggest problem on the team. I'd guess a outside shooter is more important (hence the desire for Barry) since lost marion's ugly but effective shot...just to keep the defense honest.

You know far better than I, though.

They are redundant, and that's exactly what we need. I can honestly say that I think that Nash is starting to wear down some. Giving Nash 28MPG and Cassell 20MPG is just enough to keep both happy.

You can never have enough 4th quarter closers on your team, and other than Kobe, he is about as clutch as it gets.

You could have both of them on the floor at the same time too. Nash is one of the best shooters, if not the best in the league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are redundant, and that's exactly what we need. I can honestly say that I think that Nash is starting to wear down some. Giving Nash 28MPG and Cassell 20MPG is just enough to keep both happy.

You can never have enough 4th quarter closers on your team, and other than Kobe, he is about as clutch as it gets.

You could have both of them on the floor at the same time too. Nash is one of the best shooters, if not the best in the league.

Dreamcastrocks is right about Sam Cassell. He is one of the most cold blooded and clutch players to play the game. In a close game an opponent never wants to see the ball in Cassell's hands. If it weren't for Barry, I would like to see Cassell play again in a Suns uniform.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Cassell hits the open market, he's a Boston Celtic. It's kind of a foregone conclusion.

I've heard the same. However, how did it become this way without the appearance of tampering?

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys have the MLE left?

Boston doesn't, Mavs have the full, Denver has 2.5 of it.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But Nash's back becomes a big problem if he's out for too long a period of time.

A Nash/Cassell backcourt seems a bit too short to me.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Nash's back becomes a big problem if he's out for too long a period of time.

A Nash/Cassell backcourt seems a bit too short to me.

A Nash/Cassell backcourt wouldn't be on the floor together for 48 minutes. Cassell can still back down shooting guards, let alone point guards. That lineup would be fine for 10 minutes per.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He'd have other worlds competing for his services, so I don't think it's a lock that he'll be a celtic.

FWIW, I saw this on realgm;

Unsourced RealGM post said:
According to a Clippers source, the team will announce today that it is buying out the contract of the 38-year-old guard.

NBA sources indicated that the Celtics, Mavericks, and Nuggets all are prepared to make Cassell an offer once he clear waivers in 48 hours. All three teams have their biannual exceptions available to give to Cassell (a maximum of $1.83 million) while the Mavs have their full mid-level available ($5.356 million) and Denver has $2.356 of its mid-level. The Celtics have spent all of their mid-level.

This tells me he will take the paycut and head to BOS;

Sam Cassell on ESPN said:
"My level of respect for [Dunleavy] has grown," Cassell said, according to the Times. "He understands the situation and he's been great about it. There's no love lost, but it ain't like I've got five more years of basketball. I've got two at the most, but one definitely.

ESPN.com

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...ories/MYSA022608.BarryUpdate.en.2e434649.html

Pro basketball: Barry still uncertain where he'll play

[SIZE=-1]Web Posted: 02/26/2008 10:45 AM CST[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Mike Monroe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]San Antonio Express-News[/SIZE]

Former Spurs guard Brent Barry, traded to Seattle last Thursday and subsequently released by the SuperSonics, cleared waivers Monday morning.

Now free to sign with any team, including the Spurs if he is willing to wait for another 25 days, Barry said he is no closer to a decision than he was Friday, when the Sonics cut him loose.

“As of 10 a.m. (Tuesday), there is no decision,” Barry said. “There have been so many changes over the past few days it’s very difficult. Just because I’ve cleared, I don’t have a timetable that today is the day I have to decide.”

NBA guidelines prevent Barry from returning to the Spurs for 30 days after the date on which he was traded, which was Feb. 20. That makes March 21 the first day he could re-join the team for which he has played since signing as a free agent in July 2004.

Barry, 36, has not played since suffering a left calf injury in the Spurs’ victory over the Miami Heat on Jan. 24. It was a recurrence of a problem with the left calf that first hit Barry in a game against the Bulls on Dec. 26 and kept him out for three weeks. He likely needs another 10 days to two weeks before he is able to return to game action.

Nevertheless, Barry has been pursued by some of the NBA’s best teams because he remains one of the league’s best shooters and smartest players. In 29 games with the Spurs this season, he averaged 7.3 points, 1.9 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 18.7 minutes per game.

The Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Boston Celtics all reportedly have reached out to Barry and his agent, Arn Tellem, and while it is presumed the Spurs also have expressed interest, general manager R.C. Buford on Monday said the club would have no comment, even after Barry cleared waivers.

Before the Sonics decided to release Barry, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had praised his play this season and wished him well.

“I thought Brent was having a fantastic year,” Popovich said before the Spurs played the Minnesota Timberwolves last Thursday. “It started last year after we decided we weren’t going to make any trades last year. He played with a more devil-may-care attitude the last half of last season. He came in with that mind-set this year and did real well.”

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like he is gonna drag this out, expect the Suns to say we are moving on since he doesn't want to make a decision yet.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Actually sounds like he wants to drag it out, so it doesn't look aws if the Spurs and Sonics had a pre-arranged deal of releasing him and him re-signing with S.A. after 30 days.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison