Suns @ Thunder 10-28-18

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah, honestly, rookie or not, a point guard runs the show. I like it!
I remember a quote from Igor a couple weeks ago where he mentions just that. He essentially said that in his offense it is the PG's job to make sure everyone is doing their job on the court. Looks like Okobo is buying into that role and that will only help in the long run as long as he can contribute individually as well.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Do you mean the starting lineup? The Suns have started each game well enough. When Ayton goes out for Chandler around the 4 minute mark, it starts to unravel. By the second quarter, down 15 pts.

How would you [realistically, given that the team is full of very young players] rearrange the starting/bench lineups? Do you think starting the best five - for this team at this time - is wise?

Yes the starting lineup. I don't follow close enough to recognise minute by minute scoring shifts but what I see with our starting line up is poor outside shooting and horrible defense.

Off the top of my head I'd be surprised if we have won the first quarter in any game, other than Dallas.

What I see is a worthless forward in Anderson that contributes next to nothing and who will not be on the team after this season.

I also see a promising Bridges that is in the suns future plans and could use the minutes. I see a sixth man in TJ that is better than three of our starters and Okobo, who after last nights performance deserves some more playing time.

This team has looked absolutely horrible, I just can't see the point in sticking with Anderson and/or Ariza...Shake it up and see what happens.

I'd like to see a starting line up of:
Ayton
Bridges/TJ
Booker
Ariza
Okobo...to see if last night was a fluke.

If we can get up and take a lead into the 2nd it might build confidence but more importantly what is the down side of shaking it up a bit? Losing by 25 instead of 20 makes little difference.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yes the starting lineup. I don't follow close enough to recognise minute by minute scoring shifts but what I see with our starting line up is poor outside shooting and horrible defense.

Off the top of my head I'd be surprised if we have won the first quarter in any game, other than Dallas.

What I see is a worthless forward in Anderson that contributes next to nothing and who will not be on the team after this season.

I also see a promising Bridges that is in the suns future plans and could use the minutes. I see a sixth man in TJ that is better than three of our starters and Okobo, who after last nights performance deserves some more playing time.

This team has looked absolutely horrible, I just can't see the point in sticking with Anderson and/or Ariza...Shake it up and see what happens.

I'd like to see a starting line up of:
Ayton
Bridges/TJ
Booker
Ariza
Okobo...to see if last night was a fluke.

If we can get up and take a lead into the 2nd it might build confidence but more importantly what is the down side of shaking it up a bit? Losing by 25 instead of 20 makes little difference.
They haven't won any first quarters in the past 5 games. However, I think a lot of that has to do with the bench coming in towards the end of the first and almost always giving up a run to end the quarter. In each of the past 4 games we had the game pretty close for the first 9 minutes or so and then we allowed a run to go down by close to 10 points (Lakers' game excluded as we were only down two to end that quarter).

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
these Okobo remarks speak well of him but makes you wonder about our coaching.
we've all seen Ayton struggle with the timing and mechanics of the pick&roll

1. does it take a rookie from France's pro ball to point out on the floor what Suns coaches should be drilling Ayton with every day of practice?
2. how do you replace 9 players on the worst defensive team in the NBA and still have the worst defensive team in the NBA?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
these Okobo remarks speak well of him but makes you wonder about our coaching.
we've all seen Ayton struggle with the timing and mechanics of the pick&roll

1. does it take a rookie from France's pro ball to point out on the floor what Suns coaches should be drilling Ayton with every day of practice?
2. how do you replace 9 players on the worst defensive team in the NBA and still have the worst defensive team in the NBA?
There is a couple reasons for that. First off good defense is accomplished as a team and a bunch of guys having not played much together isn't a good recipe for good defense. Secondly part of the reason the defense has been SO bad is because they are committing far too many live ball turnovers which is leading to a whole bunch of run outs for the opposition (also tied to a bunch of guys playing together for the first time, but are also all learning a complicated offense at the same time).

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope the Suns rest Canaan for a few games so that we can Okobo and Melton run PG.

Unfortunately, I can see Kokoskov giving Crawford a big role instead if Canaan has to miss games.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope the Suns rest Canaan for a few games so that we can Okobo and Melton run PG.

Unfortunately, I can see Kokoskov giving Crawford a big role instead if Canaan has to miss games.

I am starting to wonder if Kokoskov is a poor man's Mike D'Antoni without a Steve Nash to run his offense...

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First off good defense is accomplished as a team and a bunch of guys having not played much together isn't a good recipe for good defense. Secondly part of the reason the defense has been SO bad is because they are committing far too many live ball turnovers which is leading to a whole bunch of run outs for the opposition (also tied to a bunch of guys playing together for the first time, but are also all learning a complicated offense at the same time).

yes, also the turnovers are tied to sloppy attempts at getting the ball to Ayton in the post. the rookie or veteran who gets that maneuver down will be our functioning point guard

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Watching the game and JJ early on was playing D on Westbrook VERY well.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think the Suns will still acquire a veteran point guard but I would not hesitate to start Okobo at point guard if he is the best the Suns have. The same with Bridges.
Even if it means he will going against starters rather than reserves as his initial experience? He is not in the same situation as Ayton.

Even if Okobo gets good minutes, but with most of them coming against reserves, I believe it would be the best way for him to build confidence.

We're only six games into the season. There is no need to go for all or nothing right now.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
They haven't won any first quarters in the past 5 games. However, I think a lot of that has to do with the bench coming in towards the end of the first and almost always giving up a run to end the quarter. In each of the past 4 games we had the game pretty close for the first 9 minutes or so and then we allowed a run to go down by close to 10 points (Lakers' game excluded as we were only down two to end that quarter).

Interesting, I will pay closer attention next game. Do you think the starting line up should stay the same?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I also noticed that there were times both Booker and Ayton were on the bench. This should not happen, in my opinion. One of them needs to be on the floor at all times when they are both playing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if it means he will going against starters rather than reserves as his initial experience? He is not in the same situation as Ayton.

Even if Okobo gets good minutes, but with most of them coming against reserves, I believe it would be the best way for him to build confidence.

We're only six games into the season. There is no need to go for all or nothing right now.

I'm saying if the Suns do not acquire a veteran point guard I would not sit him on the bench if he earns the starting role.

Rookies are starting all around the NBA. If he beats out Canaan so be it.

The same applies to Bridges.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also noticed that there were times both Booker and Ayton were on the bench. This should not happen, in my opinion. One of them needs to be on the floor at all times when they are both playing.

I used to think this way but with this team I'd say otherwise. I'd much rather see them both on the court, learning to work together. In the end, it won't increase the likelihood we'll win the game but it will make the game (when they play) more fun to watch.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just finished the Memphis game. Okobo needs MORE minutes. Not turning the ball over. Cuts to the basket, hits open threes, initiates the offense. Besides being a rookie, WHY is he NOT getting more minutes. Even if it is just with the second team. He needs more minutes. Period.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just finished the Memphis game. Okobo needs MORE minutes. Not turning the ball over. Cuts to the basket, hits open threes, initiates the offense. Besides being a rookie, WHY is he NOT getting more minutes. Even if it is just with the second team. He needs more minutes. Period.
I think it’s going to happen. Just not quite as soon as we want. We have to remember that Okobo has pro experience (of a sort) so he is not your standard rookie in that area.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm saying if the Suns do not acquire a veteran point guard I would not sit him on the bench if he earns the starting role.

Rookies are starting all around the NBA. If he beats out Canaan so be it.

The same applies to Bridges.
My suggestion was a third alternative. Neither sitting on the bench nor starting.

Insert him into the nightly rotation as a backup, but initially playing against reserves for most of his minutes, even if he plays 24 minutes per game.

Building confidence is an important factor in the development of rookies. Especially on our dysfunctional team.

Regarding rookies starting all around the NBA, how many of them are Point Guards, whose job it is to make the rest of the offense better?

There would be far less pressure on Bridges starting, and far less to learn, than Okobo.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My suggestion was a third alternative. Neither sitting on the bench nor starting.

Insert him into the nightly rotation as a backup, but initially playing against reserves for most of his minutes, even if he plays 24 minutes per game.

Building confidence is an important factor in the development of rookies. Especially on our dysfunctional team.

Regarding rookies starting all around the NBA, how many of them are Point Guards, whose job it is to make the rest of the offense better?

There would be far less pressure on Bridges starting, and far less to learn, than Okobo.
It’s about the kid. Okobo looks fine. He always seems to play within himself. Doesn’t get flustered or agitated.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trae Young is one such player. I think Smith and Fox might have started last season.

The new NBA has players starting when they are ready not like the old NBA where rookies had to labor as an apprentice for years.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Euros are different than American kids coming into the NBA. Euros are coming from pro teams and for the most part have spent a couple of years playing against developed competition. That is why people were claiming Doncic was more NBA ready than Ayton. Kokoskov was touted as a talent developer so Okobo should be a good opportunity to prove people right. Okobo has the skill set, he just needs time at PG as he has only been playing the position 2 years, initially he was a scoring / combo guard which should help with his development as he has had to play off ball in the past which should mesh well with Booker.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Its a reasonable suggestion thought BC, I will grant you that. I just don't think its necessary with Elie.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave