Suns @ Thunder 10-28-18

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember @Russ Smith bringing that. I don’t think he ever won a tip in college either which is bizarre/unexplainable.

He actually lost 2 jumps in the same game to Thomas Welsh who has nowhere near the length of arms and can't jump over a phone book. I think it's timing, I think it's why he's not a better shot blocker either. I think he just doesn't react as quickly so despite his size and length people timing jump balls beat him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does make me worry a little bit about his competitiveness. I was watching a game the other day and the announcer mentioned how their player hates to lose a jump ball and how are he wants to win every one.

I've noticed a lot of little warning signs about him but then I watch him play and see all the great things he can do and I don't worry as much. There are no perfect players, it makes little sense that he's weak in certain areas but I have no doubt we can win, and win big, with him as our center.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He doesn’t like to extend his effort. Weird how he never goes high for lobs or blocks.

You’d think he’d have more lobs and dunks so far. Idk he’s been impressive but the eye test at certain times tells you otherwise.

There are just some things he doesn’t like to do or maybe feels he doesn’t have to do?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton may be either soft or smart

he doesn't expend more energy than he has to on a dunk and doesn't block shots into the stands
but the Thunder did not respect his inside presence today

perhaps it would be a little more strategic to be a little more emphatic

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn’t like to extend his effort. Weird how he never goes high for lobs or blocks.

You’d think he’d have more lobs and dunks so far. Idk he’s been impressive but the eye test at certain times tells you otherwise.

There are just some things he doesn’t like to do or maybe feels he doesn’t have to do?

I doubt this is the reason but if I were him I'd do the same thing. The knees, ankles, feet and hips don't like it at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep against UCLA last year there were 2 rebounds where I swear he was above the square on the glass. It was like that old pic of Lew Alcindor getting a rebound in college where he was so high up it was unreal. But in that same game, he lost 2 jumps to Thomas Welsh who can't jump a lick. For whatever reason he's an insanely good rebounder, I guess it's just easier for him to gather himself and go up for rebounds. He's got double digit boards in 4 of 6 games, the other 2 he had 8. He rebounds the ball at the high point, but for whatever reason doesn't seem to time jump balls, blocked shots or lobs the same way.

I also know the Suns are MUCH better with him on the court

https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-...ificantly-better-with-deandre-ayton-on-court/

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He actually lost 2 jumps in the same game to Thomas Welsh who has nowhere near the length of arms and can't jump over a phone book. I think it's timing, I think it's why he's not a better shot blocker either. I think he just doesn't react as quickly so despite his size and length people timing jump balls beat him.

Welsh couldn’t jump over a credit card.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only thing I worry about with Okobo, is it looks like he is always telling everyone on the floor they are doing something wrong and looks like the vets are getting sick of it.
The vets on this team blow! Someone needs to tell them they are doing crap wrong.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I noticed that too. Is he slow to jump?
His timing is really bad. Part of the reason why he’s such a poor defender. His block rates both in college and the pros were bad because of this as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing I worry about with Okobo, is it looks like he is always telling everyone on the floor they are doing something wrong and looks like the vets are getting sick of it.

I don't know if that's true. I thought it was part of the language barrier. He is trying to understand things better and that requires talking more than most other players. When there is a language barrier, pointing things out is a way to overcome that. I don't know, I could be wrong but I don't think it's an issue. If he is actually telling vets what to do and they don't like it, they should play better so he doesn't see the floor as much. He's a fringe rotation player and quality play from everyone else would limit his playing time.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's the worst thing the Suns could do. Move him from double injury coverage/garbage time to starter.

But with our wide open Point Guard situation, I would try him in the rotation playing against the competition's bench PG.

I get what you are saying. I do not believe in giving a young guy a job just because he is young or because he is a high pick. But I also do not believe in NOT giving him a starting position because he is young. If he is the best option, start him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But he times Allez-opps well . . . it really is odd.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guess what two players logged more minutes than almost anyone?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warren vs Ariza/Anderson: TJ only had 21 minutes, more points, better FG AND 3P%, more Offensive and Defensive rebounds.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I for one will be highly disappointed if no changes in the line up are made.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I for one will be highly disappointed if no changes in the line up are made.
Do you mean the starting lineup? The Suns have started each game well enough. When Ayton goes out for Chandler around the 4 minute mark, it starts to unravel. By the second quarter, down 15 pts.

How would you [realistically, given that the team is full of very young players] rearrange the starting/bench lineups? Do you think starting the best five - for this team at this time - is wise?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Do you mean the starting lineup? The Suns have started each game well enough. When Ayton goes out for Chandler around the 4 minute mark, it starts to unravel. By the second quarter, down 15 pts.

How would you [realistically, given that the team is full of very young players] rearrange the starting/bench lineups? Do you think starting the best five - for this team at this time - is wise?
This what I think is being overlooked. Let’s say we start the best 5 and are competitive at the start of the game. Now what happens when the beach starts rolling in? We probably get steam rolled in about 2 minutes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who knows maybe our best starting five actually builds a lead (a what?!?) and gives our horrible second unit a cushion to lose quickly.

I’m not espousing this. Just throwing crap against a crappy wall.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Who knows maybe our best starting five actually builds a lead (a what?!?) and gives our horrible second unit a cushion to lose quickly.

I’m not espousing this. Just throwing crap against a crappy wall.
This is what it looks like when you have all of like 5 NBA players on a roster. You can be competitive for stretches, but you will get destroyed at some point in the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In regard to this, there is an article in The Athletic about Okobo calling plays to Ayton. Unfortunately the whole article cannot be read without a subscription but the link below gives a taste.

I think Okobo taking charge is a good thing.

https://theathletic.com/619586/2018...o-started-playing-like-he-belongs-in-the-nba/

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
normally, i'd agree that it's a concern. but when a team has been blown-out 5 times in a row, something is really wrong and that Okobo gets it and is willing to lead is probably is a good thing.

“I was up there for too long and he was like, ‘Roll DA! Roll!’” Ayton said. “So I was like, ‘OK, I got you brother. I got you.’”

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
“I was up there for too long and he was like, ‘Roll DA! Roll!’” Ayton said. “So I was like, ‘OK, I got you brother. I got you.’”
Signed up for the free trial to read it. Okobo also barked at Ayton once saying “set the pick, and get out of the way”. Ayton talked about it after the game saying “That’s the first time he got on me about, like, ‘Get your butt down to the rim".

It's good to hear that the rookie has that in him because that is essentially your job as the PG, to be the QB of the offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave