Suns Off-season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think getting a 24-year-old Lauri Markkanen is too much to hope for.

I'm not sure why the Wizards want Crowder in place of Kuzma.

The Suns would take on a sizeable contract with Randle.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jae Crowder seems to have interest in the Grizzlies if I'm reading the tweet correctly.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns could trade Crowder for Brandon Clarke or Dillon Brooks I'd consider it.

Suns almost traded for Dillon Brooks years ago, sort of. Except it was the wrong Brooks.

Kelly Oubre is starting to look better every day.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry but Jae is not LeBron. If we CAN trade him to a team he likes fine but not if that means giving him away. The Suns needs should come first. If those two things align great. Again, it might be the only good bargaining chip this team has to get something useful back in return.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I am sorry but Jae is not LeBron. If we CAN trade him to a team he likes fine but not if that means giving him away. The Suns needs should come first. If those two things align great. Again, it might be the only good bargaining chip this team has to get something useful back in return.
Yeah, if we can't get good value, I'd be happy with sending him to the Siberia SaberTooths.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no more idea than anyone else who Crowder will be traded for, but yes, it sure would be nice if any of the players who underperformed last season (Payne, Craig, Shamet) could somehow be dumped with him.

I hope for a roster move (not necessarily the Crowder trade) that has the effect of "clearing dead wood."
I don't at all think Payne is dead wood.

I think it would be flat out foolish to deal him. He has proven he has the ability to play at a high level and is on a very team friendly contract, wheras the other 2 have not ever been real difference makers.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm actually really unhappy with Monty's comment about wanting the deal done before the season starts. Even if that is what he wants he should not be putting that out there to the media.

Jae has already tanked his value, Monty does not need to be tanking it further by putting a timeline on the deal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually really unhappy with Monty's comment about wanting the deal done before the season starts. Even if that is what he wants he should not be putting that out there to the media.

Jae has already tanked his value, Monty does not need to be tanking it further by putting a timeline on the deal.
Yeah… why would you say something like that in the media?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it would be flat out foolish to deal him. He has proven he has the ability to play at a high level, wheras the other 2 have not.

Yes. If anything, the Suns need more point guards, not less.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think it would be flat out foolish to deal him. He has proven he has the ability to play at a high level, wheras the other 2 have not.
with the backup point being an even more important position this season, if we aspire to compete for a championship we need a legit starting caliber guy, like a Rubio, to log a chunk of Paul's minutes. Whatever Payne almost proved 2 seasons ago, he dis-proved last season. I guess they could, and will, get another look at him to start the season, but, sadly, i think the results are already in. Even if he improves, it's unlikely to last through the playoffs where he seemed easily neutralized.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly! I would be happy to reconcile this statement (clearly the prevailing view of Payne) with the prior contrasting comment--

--but I don't know how to reconcile such contrary views.

Actually...no. I know a possible explanation that I've considered before. That Payne's great year with the Suns was only an outlier, and Payne's "mean" is how he played last season. Also, I just forgot that I prefer Payne to be demoted in the depth chart, not dumped.
Despite all the bellyaching here, Payne was one of the best back up point guards in the NBA this season, even with his poor shooting. And when he had to fill-in as the starter he played great.

He sucked in the playoffs, he sucked bad, but so did a lot of guys

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it would be flat out foolish to deal him. He has proven he has the ability to play at a high level and is on a very team friendly contract, wheras the other 2 have not ever been real difference makers.
I am not convinced he isn't dead wood either. I don't think it would be foolish one bit if you can package him and get an experienced backup. As is, who knows if he ever shoots the 3 well again or doesn't continue the way he played down the stretch and in the playoffs. He is a backup PG but not the only one in the league.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly! I would be happy to reconcile this statement (clearly the prevailing view of Payne) with the prior contrasting comment--

--but I don't know how to reconcile such contrary views.

Actually...no. I know a possible explanation that I've considered before. That Payne's great year with the Suns was only an outlier, and Payne's "mean" is how he played last season. Also, I just forgot that I prefer Payne to be demoted in the depth chart, not dumped.
It could be an outlier, sure. In fact maybe the odds are that it was.

That's kind of besides the point, we aren't getting someone better than him and filling the backup PF with just Crowder and maybe a 1st.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I could see Lauri doing well in PHX, but I'd prefer someone who is a stronger rebounder.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne is infuriating to watch. I’d be all for a complete blowup of the backup backcourt.

It would be good if there was another point guard that could push Payne for backup minutes.

I thought another playmaker in the back court would be a focus this off season.

I'm really hoping Duane Washington Jr., who is on a two-way contract, can help.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Crowder, Shamet, and Craig for Kevin Love and a future first. Cleveland won't want to give the pick up, but they could flip Crowder and/or Craig later in the season for additional value.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crowder, Shamet, and Craig for Kevin Love and a future first. Cleveland won't want to give the pick up, but they could flip Crowder and/or Craig later in the season for additional value.
I don't think Cleveland would do that - I don't think they would do it without a pick involved.

But if they would, I don't hate it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be good if there was another point guard that could push Payne for backup minutes.

I thought another playmaker in the back court would be a focus this off season.

I'm really hoping Duane Washington Jr., who is on a two-way contract, can help.
I agree I am intrigued with Washington, but he is not someone who is really an offense initiator.

As we are constructed right now, if Payne isn't playing well our second unit is in big trouble

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about that but I don’t think they do it unless we throw in the pick. Love is a great back-up big for that squad.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn’t the Cavs just trade a bunch 1st for Mitchell

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree I am intrigued with Washington, but he is not someone who is really an offense initiator.

As we are constructed right now, if Payne isn't playing well our second unit is in big trouble

Right now it looks like the Suns are looking for other players to initiate the offense. I'd like another point guard on the roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now it looks like the Suns are looking for other players to initiate the offense. I'd like another point guard on the roster.

I was thinking of that when trying to find a trade partner for Crowder and was wondering if there are any point forwards like Evan Turner or Nicolas Batum out there? Kyle Anderson is similar but much slower and less athletic, he's in Minnesota now though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose