Suns Off-season Thread

Reaction score
I think the Suns are just throwing bodies at the backup guard positions, whoever they can get for cheap, without much concern for whether a player fits a position. The idea is probably that whoever among them plays the least badly moves ahead in the depth chart. There probably aren't many actual point guards for the money the team will offer, so they're hedging their bets by targeting guards who look like they could in theory play either guard position. Okogie and just-signed ex-Pacers guard Duane Washington are point-guard-sized, but are probably undersized shooting guards who may or may not have any point guard skills. But Payne and Shamet both played so poorly last season that they should be forced to fight for their jobs with whoever else is on the roster. If the crowding of the guard roster gives them a kick in the butt, great.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns are just throwing bodies at the backup guard positions, whoever they can get for cheap. The idea is probably that whoever among them plays the least badly moves ahead in the depth chart. There probably aren't many actual point guards for the money the team will offer, so they're hedging their bets by targeting guards who look like they could in theory play either guard position. Okogie and just-signed ex-Pacers guard Duane Washington are point-guard-sized, but are probably undersized shooting guards who may or may not have any point guard skills. But Payne and Shamet both played so poorly last season that they should be forced to fight for their jobs with whoever else is on the roster.
They are doing what teams always do, filling out the end of their rosters with end of roster players. You always hope to find or develop a diamond in the rough, IMO we are less capable of doing so than most teams because we aren't committed to scouting every level of basketball and we have no minor league team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns do scout other NBA teams, so hopefully they are better at scouting players with league experience.

I wish the Suns invested more in scouting, but this doesn't appear likely with their current philosophy towards adding veteran players.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Two way contracts are now used after signing Ish. The Suns basically only have the MLE left. They are likely not going to sign anybody else unless they can use the MLE not knowing what the salary will look like should they get KD. Is there any FC worth the MLE out there still?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this answers the question about Ish Wainright being on the roster.

He will fill the Suns second two-way contract slot. Duane Washington Jr. fills the other spot.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ish does have a lot of poise when he plays, maybe he becomes the next coming of PJ Tucker. When the Suns signed PJ he was such a harder worker on defense and has carved out a nice career playing for winning teams. I see a little bit of that in Ish. Hopefully he continues to improve (but not at the guard position).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Monty has a lot of confidence in Ish, but I'm glad the signing was a two-way contract and not a standard roster spot.

The Suns need a player that can better compete with length and rebound at power forward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gerald Boruguet weighs in on both two-way contract signings.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both Two way contracts are now used after signing Ish. The Suns basically only have the MLE left. They are likely not going to sign anybody else unless they can use the MLE not knowing what the salary will look like should they get KD. Is there any FC worth the MLE out there still?

Are you saying guys that we would need to fill out the F/C positions after a potential bench clearing KD trade or guys that we could use right now? Because as it stands, the front court seems rather crammed.

Reaction score
Since there is certainly no room for IW to play at guard barring injuries, I hope they share my idea of trying him at forward.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since there is certainly no room for IW to play at guard barring injuries, I hope they share my idea of trying him at forward.
You must have him confused with someone else. I don't recall ever seeing him play guard. He's an undersized power forward and spends most of his time at that position or small forward.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I also hope they give up on the notion of playing Booker at linebacker. He has the height but his skills are far more suited at shooting guard.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Glad Ish is back.

At this point we should just trade for a pg and a pf and call it an offseason.
At this point Ish may be the closest thing we see to a PF unless we pull off the KD trade.
If there ever IS a KD trade.

Reaction score
At this point Ish may be the closest thing we see to a PF unless we pull off the KD trade.
If there ever IS a KD trade.
I think you Durant-lusters are being toyed with. NBA sources have expressed skepticism that Durant actually wants to leave in the first place. More likely is that the Nuts don't actually want to trade him, and would have to receive an offer so overwhelming that the other team is being stupid.

Kevin Durant is probably the most complex and inscrutable of NBA celebrities in recent years.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you Durant-lusters are being toyed with. NBA sources have expressed skepticism that Durant actually wants to leave in the first place. More likely is that the Nuts don't actually want to trade him, and would have to receive an offer so overwhelming that the other team is being stupid.

Kevin Durant is probably the most complex and inscrutable of NBA celebrities in recent years.
That doesn't jibe with the most recent report that he is setting a meeting with the Nets about getting traded.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Link?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Johnson and others will be coaching prospects in Basketball Without Borders in Australia.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath for Durant. Glad to have Super Dario back though. Bubble Dario was great and it sucked losing him to injury, it was in the playoffs one year, if I remember correctly. Solid player. Sorely needed help in the front court.
IMO we need an upgrade at point guard. Cam Payne with upside-down Lakers "L" disappeared for some reason. I also haven't seen Salsa Crowder for many months. Crazy how pathetic they played in the playoffs this year :barf:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We still have a regular spot open and our mid level exception open too! I think James Jones has positioned us to be ready to get KD, or play the season without him, too.