Suns Off-season Thread

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brooklyn holds the power not KD. When Kawhi and AD demanded trades they could dictate their destinations because the team had to get something before they walked. A player forcing his way out with 4 years left is unprecedented. Also it’s not like KD won a championship or has good Will built up in Brooklyn. They will take their time and get the best deal possible.
Ben Simmons just did this. KD has even more weight. Stars have all the leverage in this league.

All he has to do is say he doesn't want to play for a team. A team isnt going to give up significant assets for a star who potentially is going to want out as soon as he hits town.

And you can bet Joe Tsai is sick of these guys.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He really hasn’t done anything for that team to bend over any more than they already have.

Then again, he could just go Ben Simmons on them.
Tough to go Ben Simmons when you’re already 34. Not many seasons left in the tank.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tough to go Ben Simmons when you’re already 34. Not many seasons left in the tank.

But the Nets also don't control their own future in the draft. They can't just sit back and wait for these guys to either cave or another team to dramatically up their offer. The Rockets have control of the Nets picks for the next 4 years. Brooklyn needs to be somewhat competitive.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have a feeling the posturing by Brooklyn saying they don't want DA is to get us to give up Mikal instead of Cam J. I'd prefer to keep both of those guys over Ayton but I'd try everything possible as the Suns to keep Mikal in Phoenix.
Agreed, Cam is way more expendable then Bridges.

TEAMPETE

Rookie
Reaction score
ASFN family, we all need to take a chill pill. I’ve been a member for a long time and rarely post. I read the forum almost daily especially when I’m looking for up to date info because I know guys on this forum have ways of finding the later info. With all that said, hear me out.

You all gotta chill out with the Flex hate. Is he always right? Hell no but what guy is. All the big names like Woj, Shams, Jake Fishcer were wrong this week alone and several times. Just look at the draft and they had the top 3 wrong even though it was a “lock”.

Look EVERYONE said KD to PHX was dead when Kyrie picked up his option. But the next day Flex put out a pod and said it wasn’t dead and that there was a reason the option was picked up 2 days early. He was right. He also called the CP3 trade before anyone else. Whatever it is, he has a source somewhere who gives him some good info. He’s been talking about KD like trade for months.

Give the guy some slack, at the end of the day he’s a hard core suns fan like you and me and has a good source on the inside.

With that said, why does the forum have to always be doom and gloom?? We just had a finals run and then backed it up with a record breaking 64 win season. I was More pissed than anyone after game 7. I went Cold turkey for a full month. But then I realized and appreciated the 6 month regular season and all the entertainment it provided my family and I. Ultimately that’s what this is right? Entertainment!

So please everyone chill TF out and let’s not attack eachother and the team. Let’s see what happens before we can judge the off-season and stop making assumptions. I have A lot of faith in James Jones and know we will have a winning product next season and strong change for a title run. Haven’t been able to say that since SSOL. RALLY THE VALLEY PLANET ORANGE!!!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
!

So please everyone chill TF out and let’s not attack eachother and the team. Let’s see what happens before we can judge the off-season and stop making assumptions. I have A lot of faith in James Jones and know we will have a winning product next season and strong change for a title run. Haven’t been able to say that since SSOL. RALLY THE VALLEY PLANET ORANGE!!!
I appreciate your positive take, but maybe you don’t understand why people frequent a suns board (or any social media)? Considering you choose to just lurk and not post I’m thinking that’s the case. If you go to a website just to find information there are better places than a chat board. JMHO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really not if you are still the 2nd best player in the league
Maybe when he actually plays. In the last 8 years he's had seasons where he played 0 games, 27 games, 35 games, 55 games, 62 games and 68 games. And expecting that to get better from a player that has recently had his achilles repaired and is turning 34 before the start of this next season seems overly hopeful IMO.

I was against trading for Chris Paul, not because he couldn't play but because his age and his injury history made it a bad gamble. I was wrong, he has made that deal worthwhile for us AFAIC. And I could be wrong again but I think giving up Bridges for Durant is even more risky than the CP3 deal and obviously we're going to have to give up quite a bit more than that.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ben Simmons just did this. KD has even more weight. Stars have all the leverage in this league.

All he has to do is say he doesn't want to play for a team. A team isnt going to give up significant assets for a star who potentially is going to want out as soon as he hits town.

And you can bet Joe Tsai is sick of these guys.
Simmons didn’t demand a trade to Brooklyn he just wanted out of Philly. I agree that KD can make it ugly by telling teams he’ll refuse to play for them but at this moment we’ve heard he has a preferred list of teams. It’s not Phoenix or bust.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASFN family, we all need to take a chill pill. I’ve been a member for a long time and rarely post. I read the forum almost daily especially when I’m looking for up to date info because I know guys on this forum have ways of finding the later info. With all that said, hear me out.

You all gotta chill out with the Flex hate. Is he always right? Hell no but what guy is. All the big names like Woj, Shams, Jake Fishcer were wrong this week alone and several times. Just look at the draft and they had the top 3 wrong even though it was a “lock”.

Look EVERYONE said KD to PHX was dead when Kyrie picked up his option. But the next day Flex put out a pod and said it wasn’t dead and that there was a reason the option was picked up 2 days early. He was right. He also called the CP3 trade before anyone else. Whatever it is, he has a source somewhere who gives him some good info. He’s been talking about KD like trade for months.

Give the guy some slack, at the end of the day he’s a hard core suns fan like you and me and has a good source on the inside.

With that said, why does the forum have to always be doom and gloom?? We just had a finals run and then backed it up with a record breaking 64 win season. I was More pissed than anyone after game 7. I went Cold turkey for a full month. But then I realized and appreciated the 6 month regular season and all the entertainment it provided my family and I. Ultimately that’s what this is right? Entertainment!

Regarding the Flex "hate", as one of the "haters" I will say I don't an issue with him. He plays both sides regularly so he doesn't look like a fool because he's looked like one a few times when he came out and made more definitive statements. We don't need to go over his history, it's been done a million times. The guy is trying to kickstart some career of sorts covering the Suns, or at least make his fandom profitable. That's fine.

What really bothers me is how some people put so much weight to what he says. He's treated like a more credible local version of Woj by some here as far as being a top insider who always knows his stuff when that isn't true. If his fans here quit trying to give him a pat on the back for every little thing, I'd have no issue. The same treatment isn't afforded to anyone else whether it's Woj or Shams or local guys like Gambo or one of the many known podcasters like Dave King.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your positive take, but maybe you don’t understand why people frequent a suns board (or any social media)? Considering you choose to just lurk and not post I’m thinking that’s the case. If you go to a website just to find information there are better places than a chat board. JMHO.

As someone who lurked a lot before posting, this place is the best source for intelligent up to date Suns news that there is. It's almost like a constantly updated podcast by Suns fans who know the league and understand it's intricacies.

Go look at Suns Reddit, for example. Its a disaster. You can rarely find intelligent discussions based in reality and good luck with up to date news being shared there.

You can't stay as up to date on Suns news either by following a dozen sites like ESPN, AZCentral, and 98.7's and constantly refresh them. If anything of note is posted, it's shared here by someone.

This board is great for news, with added commentary that helps explain any questions one might have after hearing certain things.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If his fans here quit trying to give him a pat on the back for every little thing, I'd have no issue. The same treatment isn't afforded to anyone else whether it's Woj or Shams or local guys like Gambo or one of the many known podcasters like Dave King.
I really don't care one way or the other about Flex or any of the other "outside" insiders but from my perspective, you're getting a lot of Flex supporter action because some posters here have been overly critical about every detail of his predictions.

From what I've seen, the guy has been right and the guy has been wrong. I don't find him particularly credible but I think it's clear he has access to at least someone reasonably close to the team. Some people love reading that stuff, it does little for me because I know that even when you have inside information, it often falls apart because plans often fall apart.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As someone who lurked a lot before posting, this place is the best source for intelligent up to date Suns news that there is. It's almost like a constantly updated podcast by Suns fans who know the league and understand it's intricacies.

Go look at Suns Reddit, for example. Its a disaster. You can rarely find intelligent discussions based in reality and good luck with up to date news being shared there.

You can't stay as up to date on Suns news either by following a dozen sites like ESPN, AZCentral, and 98.7's and constantly refresh them. If anything of note is posted, it's shared here by someone.

This board is great for news, with added commentary that helps explain any questions one might have after hearing certain things.
All that might be the case, but believe that the board should discuss hypotheticals and rumors and express opinions until the offseason is complete? That’s just not what sports boards are created for.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that might be the case, but believe that the board should discuss hypotheticals and rumors and express opinions until the offseason is complete? That’s just not what sports boards are created for.

I agree for the most part. I can see where @TEAMPETE is coming from also. This board has done a few 180's over the last week or so, and multiple times through each of those days.

Like this morning started with bashing JJ for missing out on KD simply because Irving opted in yesterday. Then KD asked for a trade and it was a rather jarring shift without any acknowledgement of how people viewed things differently over the previous 18 hours.

That doesn't touch on how opinions of Ayton have shifted similarly over the last week, whether we should keep him, trade him, either change the offense or let one or both Monty/CP3 go to appease Ayton.

Discussions have been tough to keep up with as a whole and we're talking about major, franchise altering changes here.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the Flex "hate", as one of the "haters" I will say I don't an issue with him. He plays both sides regularly so he doesn't look like a fool because he's looked like one a few times when he came out and made more definitive statements. We don't need to go over his history, it's been done a million times. The guy is trying to kickstart some career of sorts covering the Suns, or at least make his fandom profitable. That's fine.

What really bothers me is how some people put so much weight to what he says. He's treated like a more credible local version of Woj by some here as far as being a top insider who always knows his stuff when that isn't true. If his fans here quit trying to give him a pat on the back for every little thing, I'd have no issue. The same treatment isn't afforded to anyone else whether it's Woj or Shams or local guys like Gambo or one of the many known podcasters like Dave King.
Well said.

Reaction score
I was just thinking about who would be the second best point guard in Suns history after Chris Paul. Since I choose Jason Kidd as the second-best overall because of his defense and his playmaking skill, I wonder whether Jason Kidd had any notable success defending Chris Paul--they would have met enough times, when Paul was young and Kidd was fairly old. It's just that Kidd, being much bigger, is physically right to exploit Paul's limitation of being a very short player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's hard to find all the information and informed discussion at another single place. This is why I joined the Suns forum many years ago when I had a question about a player that went unanswered elsewhere.

Of course times have changed but there is a wealth of knowledge collected here and it's nice to be able to discuss topics at length rather than leave comments after a tweet or a sports article. Other forums don't match up.

I've checked out a lot of social media but this is the best for discussion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about who would be the second best point guard in Suns history after Chris Paul. Since I choose Jason Kidd as the second-best overall because of his defense and his playmaking skill, I wonder whether Jason Kidd had any notable success defending Chris Paul--they would have met enough times, when Paul was young and Kidd was fairly old. It's just that Kidd, being much bigger, is physically right to exploit Paul's limitation of being a very short player.
If you're just talking "Suns history" I'd rank them in this order Nash, KJ, Kidd, CP and then Marbury. If you mean which Suns point guard had the best NBA career, I'd rank CP3 first followed by Nash, Kidd, KJ, Stephon Marbury, Sam Cassell and Penny Hardaway.

IMO, Chris Paul was a much better player than Kidd. I don't recall much about head to head but CP3 was a great defensive guard and arguably the best two way PG ever. Kidd was a below average shooter (and a horrible shooter for the first decade+ of his career) and was a pretty good defender but not in Paul's class.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree for the most part. I can see where @TEAMPETE is coming from also. This board has done a few 180's over the last week or so, and multiple times through each of those days.

Like this morning started with bashing JJ for missing out on KD simply because Irving opted in yesterday. Then KD asked for a trade and it was a rather jarring shift without any acknowledgement of how people viewed things differently over the previous 18 hours.

That doesn't touch on how opinions of Ayton have shifted similarly over the last week, whether we should keep him, trade him, either change the offense or let one or both Monty/CP3 go to appease Ayton.

Discussions have been tough to keep up with as a whole and we're talking about major, franchise altering changes here.
But they are point-in-time discussions. They should be fluid and change with new facts and peoples thought processes changing. I kinda get it if you just lurk, you’re not actively involved in the conversation. But then why break your lurking just to criticize what happens in every internet board every day. I’ll just never understand that perspective.

Reaction score
If you're just talking "Suns history" I'd rank them in this order Nash, KJ, Kidd, CP and then Marbury. If you mean which Suns point guard had the best NBA career, I'd rank CP3 first followed by Nash, Kidd, KJ, Stephon Marbury, Sam Cassell and Penny Hardaway.

IMO, Chris Paul was a much better player than Kidd. I don't recall much about head to head but CP3 was a great defensive guard and arguably the best two way PG ever. Kidd was a below average shooter (and a horrible shooter for the first decade+ of his career) and was a pretty good defender but not in Paul's class.
Your comment leads me to realize I wasn't clear enough. I had in mind which of them was the second best point guard. I can never cite Nash because he couldn't play defense. He is an oddball in strengths, weaknesses and playmaking style.