Suns Off-season Thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenyon Martin calls out CP3.

Yeah I remember this being discussed on one of the ESPN NBA or morning shows 3 or 4 years ago. Not all were in support of Kenyon's comments but none of them painted Chris as a saint either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt Chris Paul for some reason didn't take his normal leadership role in games 6 and 7 of the playoff series against the Mavericks.

His post game press conference after game 6 gave me that vibe. If true, we saw what happens. The Suns desperately need his leadership.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I felt Chris Paul for some reason didn't take his normal leadership role in games 6 and 7 of the playoff series against the Mavericks.

His post game press conference after game 6 gave me that vibe. If true, we saw what happens. The Suns desperately need his leadership.

I think what we saw could have been a couple of things - first, the story about covid issues may be true, and second, when they got behind in game seven they just curled up in the fetal position and quit.

I'm not so worried about the covid claims - that's just bad luck and any team that has issues at that point would p[robably try to play through it. The quitting early in game seven is a lot more concerning and reflects poorly on the coaching staff and the players. Hell, I was glad to see Ayton was unhappy. Nobody should have been happy to accept the "effort" in game seven.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I can only guess the team was upset with cp3 about acquiring covid at an important time, which i'm guessing led to his "its only basketball" comments.

I think what we saw could have been a couple of things - first, the story about covid issues may be true, and second, when they got behind in game seven they just curled up in the fetal position and quit.

I'm not so worried about the covid claims - that's just bad luck and any team that has issues at that point would p[robably try to play through it. The quitting early in game seven is a lot more concerning and reflects poorly on the coaching staff and the players. Hell, I was glad to see Ayton was unhappy. Nobody should have been happy to accept the "effort" in game seven.

So you're saying Ayton was putting in effort and was unhappy with the rest of the teams effort???

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can only guess the team was upset with cp3 about acquiring covid at an important time, which i'm guessing led to his "its only basketball" comments.

I guess we will be sharing opinions for years to come until the truth comes out if it already hasn't.

I'm unwilling to believe the Suns quit... COVID or not. It was not part of their DNA in big games. There was something else going on.

IMO, there was a chemistry issue and I don't think any conflict with Ayton caused it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Really? I would say it's a player with a known attitude problem that clashed with CP3 and took an opportunity to cheap shot him on a situation that he knew nothing about.

Paul has been a very demanding leader and as a result he's clashed with teammates throughout his career, as did Jordan and Kobe and other strong personalities. But IMO Kenyon projected his own issues there, saying that Chris was doing it for his ego which I don't believe. I think he can be a real jerk to his coworkers but it's from his hyper-competitive nature, not out of some sophomoric desire to have the loudest voice in a locker room.
This

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pacers and Spurs working behind the scenes to snatch Durant? Could explain why there is no Ayton offer or maybe the Suns are involved?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Pacers and Spurs working behind the scenes to snatch Durant? Could explain why there is no Ayton offer or maybe the Suns are involved?

Where are those picks coming from if they’re all going to Brooklyn? That theory would make sense if KD was a FA next year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns should explore this option with OKC.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? I would say it's a player with a known attitude problem that clashed with CP3 and took an opportunity to cheap shot him on a situation that he knew nothing about.

Paul has been a very demanding leader and as a result he's clashed with teammates throughout his career, as did Jordan and Kobe and other strong personalities. But IMO Kenyon projected his own issues there, saying that Chris was doing it for his ego which I don't believe. I think he can be a real jerk to his coworkers but it's from his hyper-competitive nature, not out of some sophomoric desire to have the loudest voice in a locker room.

There is a good video with kMart and Cowerd about 12 min long. The both have reputations so i can't really side with either. They both have attitude problems imo.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Are you really doubting that everything to do with Ayton has been held up by KD? Of course it is. Suns are working to get that deal done however it has to be done.

And yes it is obvious they want to get a return on their cap space, since the list of available free agents is pretty darn sparce at this point.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns should explore this option with OKC.

From what I've heard from my Euro peeps (fewer and fewer as years go by, haha), he is quite happy in Europe and makes a lot more money than he would in the NBA, so he doesn't really want to jump over (never did, honestly.) Wildcard is the fact he is friends with Jokic, and Jokic is a bit of a legend back home, so if anyone can talk him into checking out the NBA, it is Jokic. If he comes over, it will be for the Nuggets. Even then, there are some issues with his right being held by a different team, so that complicates things. Kid would be a nice safe backup point guard. He is a good passer, excellent playmaker, and a pretty good shooter. Limited athleticism, even by European standards. Same story on the defensive side of things.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you really doubting that everything to do with Ayton has been held up by KD? Of course it is. Suns are working to get that deal done however it has to be done.

And yes it is obvious they want to get a return on their cap space, since the list of available free agents is pretty darn sparce at this point.

It was on ESPN that the Durant/Kyrie thing is holding the league hostage. Those are the big dominos that people are waiting to fall

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was on ESPN that the Durant/Kyrie thing is holding the league hostage. Those are the big dominos that people are waiting to fall

And some of those same teams could be potentially involved if the Suns decide to do a sign-and-trade with Ayton.

It's an intricate weave.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is one of the last guys they would consider moving, he is only 23 and is on a steal of a contract.

I wanted Jared Vanderbilt last summer as well. Although he can't shoot he reminds me of a poor man's Chris Boucher.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
We still need to find a way to replace Crowder as the starting PF. I mean, assuming the Durant thing is no longer happening.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We still need to find a way to replace Crowder as the starting PF. I mean, assuming the Durant thing is no longer happening.

Yeah I’m done with Crowder. His swings are insane either he’s gonna hit 6 threes or he’s gonna go 0-9.

His defense isn’t that great and his rebounding is horrible

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The easiest way is to start Cam Johnson at power forward.

Otherwise there are not a lot of options without using draft picks unless the Suns are willing to take on a longer contract for his expiring contract at the trade deadline. Maybe second round picks help do it.

There may be some buyouts later on if the Suns have an open roster spot.

I believe the Suns have already shopped Crowder.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard