Suns Off-season Thread

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a great question. Think it depends on a multitude of things.

Say by some odd stroke of weirdness, we basically run this team back. If they have another face-plant exit on the playoffs, I think we’ve seen enough.

If we get the KD deal done, he gets two years to see if he can make the new team work.

Eh… who am I kidding? I have no clue. The above is what I think should happen, but that doesn’t mean all that much considering I’ve raised a lot of eyebrows at FO moves over the last two off seasons (this one included).

I think he’s tied to Paul. As Paul goes Monty goes. Guys start tuning out that rah rah stuff eventually especially if they aren’t winning when it matters.

This year is going to be really interesting. To me it looked like Monty lost that team last year. When they started going sideways with a month left he couldn’t get them back.

Me personally I’ve seen enough. Nice guy but he’s not built for it. When it starts going bad he has no answers

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could say the same thing about a player. If a Player refuses to listen to him that's not on Monty. Monty isn't controlling the offseason trades. That JJ. Monty didn't make the demand that Ayton will only accept the Max. That was Ayton's camp. If Ayton's team tells the Suns he doesn't want to be here that's not their decision either. Like I said. Ayton's camp owns a huge part of where we are.

Legit media said Ayton wasn’t the only player Monty wasn’t getting along with.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Legit media said Ayton wasn’t the only player Monty wasn’t getting along with.
Who else? CP3? If that's the case, I don't put much stock in that. CP3 has worn out his welcome almost everywhere he has gone.

Reaction score
James Jones is no Lance Blanks, but neither is he Red Auerbach.
Carlisle said he went to meet with Stix parents and said they said they didn't want Stix skip steps. WTF? He a grown man in the NBA now why you talking to his parents?

But if you look at Stix previous moves that aligns with Stix choosing Maryland over Duke (who does that), his freshman year of college after a All Team frosh year & a great NCAA Tournament skipping submitting his name in the draft if only to get feedback (who does that). All the media blasted the decision saying it was stupid all while his college coach said his parents wanted him to stay 3 years because he wasn't mature enough & graduate. It just showed the amount of self awareness Stix had probably because he can handle the truth that probably told to him by his military dad.

It was the weirdest thing unlike the norm going on at the time with the FBI basketball pay scandal & now NIL bidding wars.

I thought ********* either they rich, crazy or highly disciplined from sacrifice the family made to support the dad who retired from the military. They were used to waiting & patiently working towards a goal.

So his decision didn't shock me as all. As the Pacers saw he was different & that's why he never complained about the Suns & the Suns too (including Jones, CP3, Green & even Monty said he was always working). May not be ready to take a spot but worked becsuse of his own doing but because he pops example & demand (per Stix mouth and interviews i read from his parents). Also thought that's why Jones was refusing trade requests for 2 years he knew what he had for the future. So Carlisle probably loved it more his parents didn't want Stix skipping steps.
DeAndre Ayton may be a better player, but I would want Jalen Smith's personality and mindset in a player, not Ayton's.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
James Jones is no Lance Blanks, but neither is he Red Auerbach.

DeAndre Ayton may be a better player, but I would want Jalen Smith's personality and mindset in a player, not Ayton's.

I think that's why Stix always talks about and speaks highly what he learned from the great hall of famer CP3 & Mark Bryant (ironically who was publicly praised by KD when Stix went on that run with the Suns). Me "thinks" Stix background built him to appreciate and respect the input from a attention to detail Chris Paul / a stone faced strickly business Mark Bryant type constantly being in his ear.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who else? CP3? If that's the case, I don't put much stock in that. CP3 has worn out his welcome almost everywhere he has gone.

You don’t put much stock into Monty not getting along with the most important player on the team?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t put much stock into Monty not getting along with the most important player on the team?
As I stated, CP3 had worn out his welcome everywhere he has gone. So, I don't consider that a normal player dynamic.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Good info on Biz and his reasoning resigning with the Suns.

The mystery is why Biz didn't play more after he was brought in to replace a peaking Stix for more girth. Ok Stix a rookie back to the bench after averaging like 16 & 10 during that same period. I get it.

But I will never understand how you play him when you move a productive Stix back to the bench whom you said earned playing time when you were out...then sit this man after Stix left. At that point "I thought" Monty playing mind games.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The mystery is why Biz didn't play more after he was brought in to replace a peaking Stix for more girth. Ok Stix a rookie back to the bench after averaging like 16 & 10 during that same period. I get it.

But I will never understand how you play him when you move a productive Stix back to the bench whom you said earned playing time when you were out...then sit this man after Stix left. At that point "I thought" Monty playing mind games.

Nobody understands Monty’s rotations

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
As I stated, CP3 had worn out his welcome everywhere he has gone. So, I don't consider that a normal player dynamic.
Didn't they also have issues in New Orleans, but we were told everything was better now and that's why CP3 came to the Suns? They basically had hashed out their differences.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yep. Just surprised it happened this early and a year after a finals appearance

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't they also have issues in New Orleans, but we were told everything was better now and that's why CP3 came to the Suns? They basically had hashed out their differences.

Yeah they didn’t get along in New Orleans

Sometimes you can be friends with someone and not work well with them

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DA is worth more to the Suns than they know.
That's a bit of arrogant presumption, don't you think? You know more about the Suns and Ayton than the Suns do?

I think it's far more worth overpaying Ayton by 5 or 10 million than it is to lose him for nothing, even if the relationship is fractured.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. It's just a repeated pattern with CP3. He is a supercompetitive guy that rubs people the wrong way. It eventually wears thin on his teammates.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A free to read PHNX article on the recovery process of Dario Saric.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My fear is that our window with CP3 is closed. We will dump Ayton because he wants him gone. We will trade all kinds of assets for Durant and we will still fail because either Durant or CP3 will be injured and there will not be enough quality role players are kind them to make it work. Next summer we will begin a total rebuild and the key piece to trade to start it all will be Booker. That will begin another 5 years of futility.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My fear is that our window with CP3 is closed. We will dump Ayton because he wants him gone. We will trade all kinds of assets for Durant and we will still fail because either Durant or CP3 will be injured and there will not be enough quality role players are kind them to make it work. Next summer we will begin a total rebuild and the key piece to trade to start it all will be Booker. That will begin another 5 years of futility.

This is how I see it, but I don’t see KD coming.

This window is closed

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course that is a very valid fear.

But with no KD trade our chances of legitimately winning a title are almost zero. It's all about risk reward.

Reaction score
This is how I see it, but I don’t see KD coming.

This window is closed
I think that believing the window is closed goes too far. I merely worry it is. How can I know that next season there won't be any injury or illness at critical times; or that Chris Paul won't finish his career in a blaze of glory; or that DeAndre Ayton won't decide to grow up?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that its a known general consensus on how cp3 operates.
Really? I would say it's a player with a known attitude problem that clashed with CP3 and took an opportunity to cheap shot him on a situation that he knew nothing about.

Paul has been a very demanding leader and as a result he's clashed with teammates throughout his career, as did Jordan and Kobe and other strong personalities. But IMO Kenyon projected his own issues there, saying that Chris was doing it for his ego which I don't believe. I think he can be a real jerk to his coworkers but it's from his hyper-competitive nature, not out of some sophomoric desire to have the loudest voice in a locker room.