Suns Off-season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually a legit question and scenario. If Ayton signs an offer sheet the Suns could let him walk. Durant deal might not happen. It's the worst-case scenario but possible. If Ayton signs the offer sheet we can't use him in a trade which might kill the KD deal. If a team offers him Max? The Suns don't seem to think he is a max player so they may not match.

It would be a huge ding on JJ's tenure if this were to happen.

Not to mention the Suns not picking up the option on Jalen Smith.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's actually a legit question and scenario. If Ayton signs an offer sheet the Suns could let him walk. Durant deal might not happen. It's the worst-case scenario but possible. If Ayton signs the offer sheet we can't use him in a trade which might kill the KD deal. If a team offers him Max? The Suns don't seem to think he is a max player so they may not match.

It would be a huge ding on JJ's tenure if this were to happen.

Letting an asset like Ayton leave for nothing would be a travesty. If we lose him for nothing and also fail to get Durant, then the offseason was an unmitigated disaster and any faith I had in JJ as a GM would be gone. Add to the trash pile, his contrarian view of the draft.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Shoot. The Pacers have fully committed to Jalen Smith, giving him a new contract and a starting spot to boot. This is what the Suns get for their lack of foresight and patience in discarding Smith. I love Bismack Biyombo and am pleased he's here, but the insurance policy for DeAndre Ayton didn't have to be Biyombo. There already was one--Smith. He was no DeAndre Ayton, much less some kind of Hakeem Olajuwon; but he wasn't one of those busts the Suns had been drafting for years.

Well, I guess for all I know, the Suns tried to re-sign Smith but he wanted too much money.
Indiana is starting Jalen Smith. Good for him. He’s not going to be a factor this year in deciding whether they make the playoffs or not.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the Blazers owner is refusing to talk to Dame?

What’s going on in Portland

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Indiana is starting Jalen Smith. Good for him. He’s not going to be a factor this year in deciding whether they make the playoffs or not.

I don't think "playoffs" is the point for the Pacers right now because they got Stix or Hali or the #6 pick or even DA if they get him.

I think they see "future" while having a young fun ride. As they said that less than 60 days old team competed in those losses and was shocked how good Stix was (thinking practice & game performance had them confused...remember Pacers were trying to move Stix to Denver in the last hour so they got stuck with him. And during their press conference they wanted you to know Stix had many many suitors, turned down more money to stay and how pleasantly surprised they were...the Pacers kept repeating it.)

Anybody who played the game (an coached or rooted for a team) know that those close win teams are the ones you don't want to play 3 times and become ...and again Pacers appear to be investing now in development hoping for a payoff in a couple of years (...cough...cough...carbon coby of the Suns)

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Ayton signs and offer sheet and the Suns let him walk you have to fire the entire front office and Monty same day

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton signs and offer sheet and the Suns let him walk you have to fire the entire front office and Monty same day
Seems like an overreaction. How is this Monty's fault? Ayton and his camp owns a big part of what has transpired.

Reaction score
Since it's not as though I know Jalen Smith (or any other NBA player), certainly this is sheer speculation. But I would guess that Jalen Smith probably doesn't have DeAndre Ayton's maturity issues. Why not? Because when I read through Smith's biography, just one thing flashed out: military parentage. His father was a "Navy chief" [chief petty officer?]. I am supposing that a kid whose dad served in the military knows enough about discipline not to stay up all night playing his video games the night of a game. This, in addition to actually known fact that, as was being discussed, Smith took less money than he could have earned. And the Suns threw this away.

Last edited:

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Since it's not as though I know Jalen Smith (or any other NBA player), certainly this is sheer speculation. But I would guess that Jalen Smith probably doesn't have DeAndre Ayton's maturity issues. Why not? Because when I read through Smith's biography, just one thing flashed out: military parentage. His father was a "Navy chief" [chief petty officer?]. I am supposing that a kid whose dad served in the military knows enough about discipline not to stay up all night playing his video games the night of a game. This, in addition to actually known fact that, as was being discussed, Smith took less money than he could have earned. And the Suns threw this away for...someone named Torrey Craig.

What's the GM's name again?
Boy that was some bone-headed move. Couda kept Stix on the cheap and it would have meant potentially losing Ayton soooooo much more palatable. A real head-scratcher

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
I was on the "JJ is a great GM" bandwagon for a while, but this past half year or so has soured me completely. Too many bone-headed moves in the hopes of getting better on the cheap. Could be Sarver in his ear though I guess. We will never know.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Seems like an overreaction. How is this Monty's fault? Ayton and his camp owns a big part of what has transpired.
Nobody firing a winning coach...lol...Well some do..lol.

But there's market value...And then there's worth to you.

My car has a market value of $500 but I need it to get to work and can't afford to by a new one right now. It's worth more to me than it's market value.

DA is worth more to the Suns than they know.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Since it's not as though I know Jalen Smith (or any other NBA player), certainly this is sheer speculation. But I would guess that Jalen Smith probably doesn't have DeAndre Ayton's maturity issues. Why not? Because when I read through Smith's biography, just one thing flashed out: military parentage. His father was a "Navy chief" [chief petty officer?]. I am supposing that a kid whose dad served in the military knows enough about discipline not to stay up all night playing his video games the night of a game. This, in addition to actually known fact that, as was being discussed, Smith took less money than he could have earned. And the Suns threw this away.
Carlisle said he went to meet with Stix parents and said they said they didn't want Stix skip steps. WTF? He a grown man in the NBA now why you talking to his parents?

But if you look at Stix previous moves that aligns with Stix choosing Maryland over Duke (who does that), his freshman year of college after a All Team frosh year & a great NCAA Tournament skipping submitting his name in the draft if only to get feedback (who does that). All the media blasted the decision saying it was stupid all while his college coach said his parents wanted him to stay 3 years because he wasn't mature enough & graduate. It just showed the amount of self awareness Stix had probably because he can handle the truth that probably told to him by his military dad.

It was the weirdest thing unlike the norm going on at the time with the FBI basketball pay scandal & now NIL bidding wars.

I thought ********* either they rich, crazy or highly disciplined from sacrifice the family made to support the dad who retired from the military. They were used to waiting & patiently working towards a goal.

So his decision didn't shock me as all. As the Pacers saw he was different & that's why he never complained about the Suns & the Suns too (including Jones, CP3, Green & even Monty said he was always working). May not be ready to take a spot but worked becsuse of his own doing but because he pops example & demand (per Stix mouth and interviews i read from his parents). Also thought that's why Jones was refusing trade requests for 2 years he knew what he had for the future. So Carlisle probably loved it more his parents didn't want Stix skipping steps.

Last edited:

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
That's a bit of arrogant presumption, don't you think? You know more about the Suns and Ayton than the Suns do?
No. I'm not saying it to be arrogant or know more than you. Just posting what I "think".

But I do "think" both sides are being arrogant more than their worth to outsiders. I think both sides have more worth to each other. You can't say DA has no worth to the Suns with a straight face just like you can't say the Suns have no worth to DA. It's really embarrassing and silly to now not even acknowledge the value.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody firing a winning coach...lol...Well some do..lol.

But there's market value...And then there's worth to you.

My car has a market value of $500 but I need it to get to work and can't afford to by a new one right now. It's worth more to me than it's market value.

DA is worth more to the Suns than they know.

Teams move on from winning coaches all the time.

Big difference between a winning coach and a championship caliber coach.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long you "think" Monty got with Suns?
This is a great question. Think it depends on a multitude of things.

Say by some odd stroke of weirdness, we basically run this team back. If they have another face-plant exit on the playoffs, I think we’ve seen enough.

If we get the KD deal done, he gets two years to see if he can make the new team work.

Eh… who am I kidding? I have no clue. The above is what I think should happen, but that doesn’t mean all that much considering I’ve raised a lot of eyebrows at FO moves over the last two off seasons (this one included).

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Monte is a grown assed man and a coach, that's how its his fault.
If you as a head coach CAN'T get along with the player you're asking to do well above his share making him play center and Power Forward at the same damn time, then #$@% you.
Da is a top 5 to 10 center in the league and people are ok letting him walk for Myles Turner an obviously ******* center and what draft picks? Nope not on board with that!
If we can get Hailburton with Myles maybe, but I don't even think that can happen.

Keep DA put him NEXT to Durant and revel in the glory that is a true Center/PF combo along side one of the best Guard duos in the league.
That's what I'm talking about.

Myles Turner ****

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After losing Frank Kaminsky in free agency, the only thing I can think of is the Suns are trying to get more physical upfront but it's still too early to tell.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monte is a grown assed man and a coach, that's how its his fault.
If you as a head coach CAN'T get along with the player you're asking to do well above his share making him play center and Power Forward at the same damn time, then #$@% you.
Da is a top 5 to 10 center in the league and people are ok letting him walk for Myles Turner an obviously ******* center and what draft picks? Nope not on board with that!
If we can get Hailburton with Myles maybe, but I don't even think that can happen.

Keep DA put him NEXT to Durant and revel in the glory that is a true Center/PF combo along side one of the best Guard duos in the league.
That's what I'm talking about.

Myles Turner ****
I could say the same thing about a player. If a Player refuses to listen to him that's not on Monty. Monty isn't controlling the offseason trades. That’s JJ. Monty didn't make the demand that Ayton will only accept the Max. That was Ayton's camp. If Ayton's team tells the Suns he doesn't want to be here that's not their decision either. Like I said. Ayton's camp owns a huge part of where we are.

Last edited: