Suns Off-season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Croatia loses to Italy. Dario Saric had 10 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 6 turnovers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Suns fans have a legitimate reason to complain.

They committed more fouls than any other NBA team over the past 5 seasons.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So Suns fans have a legitimate reason to complain.

They committed more fouls than other NBA team over the past 5 seasons.

The past 5 years is a skewed statistic. Our defense and capability to avoid fouls has been far different since 2020. The previous 2 years we were amongst the worst teams in the league. That would skew any statistic over that amount of time. If we were consistent like in the 90s, that make more sense but you can't have a reliable average if you have half the time reported out of the playoffs and half the time in.

I'd be more interested in the last 2 years and how they compare to the rest of the league.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HoopsHype projects Deandre Ayton as the 5th best center in the NBA for the 2022-23 season.

Nikola Jokic was ranked #1; Joel Embiid #2; Bam Adebayo #3; Rudy Gobert #4 and Jarrett Allen #6 behind Ayton.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So fans feel "hatred" for referees? Oh, be quiet, Arizona Republic. Leave the reading of emotions to Counselor Troi.

With writers on their staff, you might think they know how to use words more carefully.
LOL Spoken like someone who has never joined a game thread.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did find articles about the Suns titled "Phoenix Suns Training Camp Rumors 2022" in Sports Overdose.

In the Bright Side of the Sun article, according to the writer, James Jones earned a D or D-.

By Brynn Tannehill Sep 6, 2022, 7:11am MST Bright Side of the Sun:

If you had to grade Jones offseason the way you would a student taking a test, he’d get a D. He managed to put his name and the date at the top of the paper, answer a couple easy questions, and turn it in with all the moderate and difficult questions left blank. For a student to get a C, they’d need to at least try to get a few of the moderate difficulty questions right.

Jones didn’t even attempt to get a right answer.

I take it back. He doesn’t deserve a D.

It’s more like a D-, and a note from the teacher saying, “You didn’t even try.”

Also, there is more reading at the link below:

I completely agree with the "D" rating. We have not upgraded the two positions of need which were backup PG and PF. Lost McGee, Jae wants off the team and other teams in the West have gotten better. This all seems to have been a result of putting all your eggs in the Kevin Durant basket.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne has proven he can be a top tier backup - because he did it the year before last.
Using that logic he has proven to be a terrible backup as well and that was just last year. So, I am not sure how much weight that statement gets. Dario has at least played at a level people expect for multiple teams. Payne has done it for exactly one team and only 1 out of 2 of the years. I don't see how you can value Payne over Dario.

This is coming from someone who doesn't think Dario would have been a difference maker...AT ALL...in the finals when we played the Bucks.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It'll take more of that, and Randle will need shots. High usage, doesn't do any of the little things, big salary...nobody is winning anything of note with Randle.

Big difference between having Randle be your #1 and having him be the #4 here.

I’d love to get Randle

I agree with the D grade. Ok you didn’t get KD but did you ever have a backup plan? Doesn’t look like it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with the "D" rating. We have not upgraded the two positions of need which were backup PG and PF. Lost McGee, Jae wants off the team and other teams in the West have gotten better. This all seems to have been a result of putting all your eggs in the Kevin Durant basket.
We really did absolutely nothing to address what’s been a glaring need now for two seasons, which is get an upgrade at PF or at least more depth.

While losing our best back up C as well.

C- is really being charitable considering the window with CP3 is closing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think a "D" grade is harsh, since Javale McGee is the only rotation player the Suns lost in the off season.

This is from a team that went 64-18 sitting a franchise record for wins in the 2021-22 season and finished 8 games ahead of every other NBA team in the regular season.

Am I satisfied? The answer is no, but I anticipate the Suns making more moves between now and the trade deadline. I'm just not going to get bent out of shape at this point in time. The Suns do have to add better contributors than Torrey Craig and Aaron Holiday, though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really did absolutely nothing to address what’s been a glaring need now for two seasons, which is get an upgrade at PF or at least more depth.

While losing our best back up C as well.

C- is really being charitable considering the window with CP3 is closing.
This. C- is being generous. The reason it's generous is not just because of what he didn't do it's because of what other teams have done as well and the lack of countermoves.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd give JJ a D+ and I don't know how anyone can go higher than C or C-. This team isn't good enough to win a title without some unbelievable luck as constructed. There are holes that needed to be addressed, upgrading PF and adding another shot creator, that weren't. He did slightly more than the bare minimum. That's a bad off-season and I don't see any other way to view it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This. C- is being generous. The reason it's generous is not just because of what he didn't do it's because of what other teams have done as well and the lack of countermoves.

What did other teams, especially in the West, do that concerns you?

I'm very unimpressed by the conference rivals in this off season. I don't see any Western contenders having improved themselves and some, Utah and Dallas, having gotten dramatically worse.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As a Suns fan if were standing pat then I'm with it, I'm just ready to go!
I wont grade JJ or anyone, how the hell could I?
I'm moving on from making moves and focusing on who the hell is gonna step up.

I know you're all big sad atm and if ya are you're not a real Suns fan or haven't been for long because this is just more of the same. You should have expected this.
We are the same scrappy Suns team from pre bubble who play above most expectations most of the time.

With a little luck some career player seasons, good coaching and maybe a mid season move or two this team should have no problem
bowing out in the 2nd round.
Shocking I know but how could it possibly go any other way.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm very unimpressed by the conference rivals in this off season. I don't see any Western contenders having improved themselves and some, Utah and Dallas, having gotten dramatically worse.
The Clippers, Nuggets, and Pelicans are much improved just from getting guys back from injury. I expect major progression from ANT and that makes the TWolves scary. The Lakers are likely better as well if they just dump Westbrook, and the Blazers should be better with return of Dame.

Dallas is probably slightly worse, but are still a likely playoff team. The only team to get worse in any meaningful way is Utah.

You are nuts if you think the West is weaker this year.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Continuity will help us this year, with that said our guys 3-5 should hopefully improve: Bridges, Cam Johnson and Ayton. If they can show impactful improvements I will not be as worried come playoffs. From our finals run, returning:
Book
CP3
Ayton
Bridges
Crowder
Cam Johnson
Payne
Dario
Craig
Ish?

Year 2 guys:
Shamet
Biz

I'm interested to see minutes between Crowder, Dario and Craig. The biggest thing for me is coaching, hopefully Monty can stop being stubborn, make adjustments, and get minutes/rotations nailed down.

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd give JJ a D+ and I don't know how anyone can go higher than C or C-. This team isn't good enough to win a title without some unbelievable luck as constructed. There are holes that needed to be addressed, upgrading PF and adding another shot creator, that weren't. He did slightly more than the bare minimum. That's a bad off-season and I don't see any other way to view it.
Not saying the Suns should get a good grade but what did Golden State do and what grade did they get?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying the Suns should get a good grade but what did Golden State do and what grade did they get?

If healthy, Donte DiVincenzo should fit almost flawlessly with the Warriors, but they lost players like Gary Payton II and Otto Porter.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If healthy, Donte DiVincenzo should fit almost flawlessly with the Warriors, but they lost players like Gary Payton II and Otto Porter.

Those are big losses. Klay should hopefully come back better than last year.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Getting guys back from injury has nothing to do with the GM. You can't give the GMs of Denver and LA credit for Kawhi and Murray coming back. The Clips and the Nuggets are surely going to be better, but it has nothing to do with the GM.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clippers, Nuggets, and Pelicans are much improved just from getting guys back from injury. I expect major progression from ANT and that makes the TWolves scary. The Lakers are likely better as well if they just dump Westbrook, and the Blazers should be better with return of Dame.

Dallas is probably slightly worse, but are still a likely playoff team. The only team to get worse in any meaningful way is Utah.

I mostly agree with you, except I think the Nuggets will miss Monte Morris and Will Barton if Jamal Murray is not 100%. I'm not sure about the status of Michael Porter Jr.

The Clippers on paper are the best team in the West and the Pelicans will be better because they will be going into their second season with Larry Nance Jr. and CJ McCollum. If Zion should ever get healthy they will be even better.

The Warriors always seem to put it together if they have their core players. How they go is how the Warriors go.

It will be interesting to see the Timberwolves with Rudy Gobert.

With Dallas it's almost a wash after losing Brunson and adding Wood and McGee. Getting Hardaway Jr. back helps the loss of Brunson.

Agree, the Lakers and Blazers should be better. I hope another team doesn't help out the Lakers.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

But isn't the discussion about the performance of the GM, not how great the West is? And for the most part, the West is better simply because of a) guys coming back from injury and b) player improvement. Nothing to do with the GM.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are big losses. Klay should hopefully come back better than last year.

I'm not minimizing the Warriors losses in the off season, but they have the ability to put role players around their core and keep on rolling.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

As teams get better in the West they make you path harder. Not to mention you eventually have to face a team from the East if you make it that far. We didn't make it as far this last season verses the previous season. That has plenty to do with other team's moves since that time. So, it's not just this offseasons moves but moves teams have made the past two offseasons. The season is a completely grind. Then the playoffs is another grind. Even one move can shift the West. Golden State getting Wiggins is a perfect example.

Yes, losing Brunson hurts but they shored up their biggest weakness with Wood and Hardaway Jr offsets some of what they lost in Brunson. Denver getting Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Bruce Brown improves that team. Denver was desperate to improve their wings and those guys help the permitter and compliment Jokic inside presence on that team. The Clippers brought everybody back to a really good team and added John Wall which shores up their need which was another ball handler. The Timberwolves might regret it but they went for it pairing Gobert with KAT and it's a swing for the fences that might work out. They lost Pat Bev but signed Anderson picking up Austin Rivers. The Pelicans basically stood pat but if they get a healthy Zion back they are going to rack up some wins. The Blazers might not be title contenders, but they probably will be in the mix for a playoff spot. Golden State is going to be there.

Bottom line is that getting through the West (regualr season and playoffs) is going to be more of a grind IMO not less of one. What is being lost in all this? The Suns felt they had to improve. Why else would they have shown interest in KD? Why are they rumored to be trying to shore up the PF position? The Suns feel they need to improve to get through the West as well. They just made have screwed the pooch putting all their eggs in the KD basket. We shall see. They can still make moves during the season.