Suns Off-season Thread

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dario Saric had 15 points and 12 rebounds in Croatia's win over Estonia.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If we could get that from Dario every night (not the 4-11 part) and in only 25ish mins and at PF no one could stop us.
Glad to see Dario can go a full 32 mins. Not thrilled that he's playing that much tho.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could get that from Dario every night (not the 4-11 part) and in only 25ish mins and at PF no one could stop us.
Glad to see Dario can go a full 32 mins. Not thrilled that he's playing that much tho.

Can you imagine if I can get him a shoe deal for these?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Suns history question. Would you prefer pre-injury Antonio McDyess, or pre-injury Amare Stoudemire? It's an easy question for me: I'll take pre-injury McDyess, because from what I remember, McDyess was the more well-rounded player: not as devastating a scorer but a pretty good scorer (more along the lines of Shawn Marion); and a better defender and a somewhat better rebounder (although not as strong a rebounder as Shawn Marion, much less Charles Barkley).

I see Amare Stoudemire as effectively the replacement for McDyess; that's why I'm inclined to compare them.
I know these guys aren't on your list, but pre injury Danny Manning and pre injury Grant Hill would be even better! :)

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns history question. Would you prefer pre-injury Antonio McDyess, or pre-injury Amare Stoudemire? It's an easy question for me: I'll take pre-injury McDyess, because from what I remember, McDyess was the more well-rounded player: not as devastating a scorer but a pretty good scorer (more along the lines of Shawn Marion); and a better defender and a somewhat better rebounder (although not as strong a rebounder as Shawn Marion, much less Charles Barkley).

I see Amare Stoudemire as effectively the replacement for McDyess; that's why I'm inclined to compare them.
I'd go w Amare. McDyess seemed kinda emptyheaded most of the time. Plus the whole Van Exel thing, whos to say that Simple Sam wouldn't get talked away again.
Hard no on McDyess forever.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I disagree with Denver and Dallas. Murray will take the ball away from Gordon and MPJ. MPJ also has that injury history and Gordon really hasn't elevated himself or the nuggets. Dallas really hasn't done much besides centers, which is not a focal point of their game with Luka handling the ball so much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did find articles about the Suns titled "Phoenix Suns Training Camp Rumors 2022" in Sports Overdose.

In the Bright Side of the Sun article, according to the writer, James Jones earned a D or D-.

By Brynn Tannehill Sep 6, 2022, 7:11am MST Bright Side of the Sun:

If you had to grade Jones offseason the way you would a student taking a test, he’d get a D. He managed to put his name and the date at the top of the paper, answer a couple easy questions, and turn it in with all the moderate and difficult questions left blank. For a student to get a C, they’d need to at least try to get a few of the moderate difficulty questions right.

Jones didn’t even attempt to get a right answer.

I take it back. He doesn’t deserve a D.

It’s more like a D-, and a note from the teacher saying, “You didn’t even try.”

Also, there is more reading at the link below:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I did find articles about the Suns titled "Phoenix Suns Training Camp Rumors 2022" in Sports Overdose.

In the Bright Side of the Sun article, according to the writer, James Jones earned a D or D-.

If you had to grade Jones offseason the way you would a student taking a test, he’d get a D. He managed to put his name and the date at the top of the paper, answer a couple easy questions, and turn it in with all the moderate and difficult questions left blank. For a student to get a C, they’d need to at least try to get a few of the moderate difficulty questions right.

I think that's a little extreme. He brought in 4 new players although nobody of great significance. Also, I'm sure he had some conversations with Sean Marks. I think he at least should get a C.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's a little extreme. He brought in 4 new players although nobody of great significance. Also, I'm sure he had some conversations with Sean Marks. I think he at least should get a C.
Highest he should get is a C-. He brought in four completely end of bench scrubs, lost our best backup big and accomplished nothing else for a team that got exposed badly in the second round by an inferior opponent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are not a lot of good players remaining in free agency.

I think James Jones is playing the waiting game until he finds the right trade. The Suns also have the MLE available and an open roster spot.

The trade deadline always provides a wealth of opportunities as well.

Sometimes it's wise to keep your powder dry.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I refuse to make a judgment on James Jones, for lack of information. For all I know, he has tried many times this summer to make deals, but every team wanted too much in players and/or money.
This ain't a try league - do or do not, there is no try.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't blame JJ for going for it with KD. We lost that battle for now.

Somehow i think Julius Randle gets a bit disgruntled with the NY this year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Can't blame JJ for going for it with KD. We lost that battle for now.

Somehow i think Julius Randle gets a bit disgruntled with the NY this year.
Maybe, but who wants Randle?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Highest he should get is a C-. He brought in four completely end of bench scrubs, lost our best backup big and accomplished nothing else for a team that got exposed badly in the second round by an inferior opponent.
So does DA and Book not count then?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Over Jae, i do.
It'll take more of that, and Randle will need shots. High usage, doesn't do any of the little things, big salary...nobody is winning anything of note with Randle.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It makes no sense to trade Payne over Saric or Shamet.

If you want to post about how Payne is valuable, I personally am listening. It's a viewpoint I've never heard. As I've noted, no one here defends Payne, and I've assumed that that is because they can't. As far as I know, Payne played so badly late last regular season, and during the playoffs, that a minor-league player might have played better. And right now, that Duane Washington guy might outplay Payne. You can talk about Payne's great year, but then you'd need to talk about his subsequent terrible year; and then convince me that the great year wasn't an outlier.

Let Payne fight for his job. I don't want to dump him, I want to demote him in the depth chart.

As for Shamet, I would love to dump his salary.

Payne has proven he can be a top tier backup - because he did it the year before last.

That was the last time Dario played at all by the way - and he was nowhere near as valuable as Payne then either yet many on here value him more highly - why I have literally no idea. Dario does almost nothing well - basically he is a good rebounder and passer for his position - and nothing else.

We need ball handling and specificaly someone to run the point especially with CP3's unreliable nature yet many on here would rather keep Dario a guy that has no true position on an NBA court. It's baffling to me.

If Paynes 3 point shot just goes back to 38% or so, he is very valuable - and I think the odds of that happening are at least 50/50.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Um, clearly he did try. They did make an effort for Durant, and everything else was put on the backburner - this was the correct course of action IMO because he is that good.

I still expect them to make one move before the season starts - but it may be possible they don't and wait till the trade deadline just in case Durant is available again at that point.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort