Suns Off-season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few years back, a lot of people thought Anthony's career was over when he signed with Portland.

He can still shoot and rebound some.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now he probably wants us. He rejected the Suns before. My the tables always turn somehow. I doubt if he is on the Suns list though this time.

I haven't watched Aldridge much, but his stats don't look half bad. He is probably mostly an outside shooter at this stage of his career.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Rockets embarrassed Anthony to a degree that no "star" has suffered before and Paul kept playing for em.

But I don't see us getting Anthony. I don't think he fits with this team or fills any need that we have.

Totally forgot about his time in Houston.

Hope it doesn't happen.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So we’ve gone from Durant to Carmelo Anthony, Tristen Thompson and Blake Griffin

I’d rather blow it up then start adding guys like this.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So we’ve gone from Durant to Carmelo Anthony, Tristen Thompson and Blake Griffin

I’d rather blow it up then start adding guys like this.
We are talking about our backup 4. While I don't really like any of the guys listed, blowing it up over adding them as a guy that gets 15 minutes a game is a pretty big overreaction.

Since we have to trade Crowder anyway and Bogdanovich is suppossedly available, I would offer Utah Crowder, Craig and a 1st rounder for him. I think that is a reasonable deal for both parties.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We are talking about our backup 4. While I don't really like any of the guys listed, blowing it up over adding them as a guy that gets 15 minutes a game is a pretty big overreaction.

Since we have to trade Crowder anyway and Bogdanovich is suppossedly available, I would offer Utah Crowder, Craig and a 1st rounder for him. I think that is a reasonable deal for both parties.
Ironically, if we HAD acquired Durant, we likely would still be talking about adding guys like Anthony and Griffin. So I'm not sure what everyone is upset about.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I keep thinking that if the Suns were willing to spend the money on any of the players discussed, they'd probably already have some of them by now. I guess I can't blame them for going with what they've got and adding a few low-budget players: they already had some max contracts/extensions while being capped out, and then had to give DeAndre Ayton another one. They have no choice but to try to win now. Can't afford any more of the players they need; and they're not built for player development and obviously have no interest in it. After Chris Paul retires, they'll have no championship prospects and will need to figure out again how to keep Devin Booker from leaving.

The other problem besides money is something that the Suns franchise obviously can't acknowledge publicly: its reputation among players was probably damaged very badly by the Tank and by Robert Sarver's reputation, and hasn't recovered. The only real attractor for players is playing beside Devin Booker--we know because they have publicly said so. The Phoenix Suns are not a place free agents are lining up to join. Their trip to the finals hasn't clearly helped with that.
So this really isn’t accurate. We already saw mcgee and biz want to play for the suns last offseason. Booker is apparently growing into a recruiter, by all accounts bridges, cam Johnson and Ayton are affable and talented young guys, they went to the finals and then blew away the league in the regular season. Unless players have specific feuds with Paul, book or crowder I would suspect all that likely trumps sarvers rep. And the tank is ancient history - that has zero bearing on where people want to land (see the sixers as evidence of that fact).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this really isn’t accurate. We already saw mcgee and biz want to play for the suns last offseason. Booker is apparently growing into a recruiter, by all accounts bridges, cam Johnson and Ayton are affable and talented young guys, they went to the finals and then blew away the league in the regular season. Unless players have specific feuds with Paul, book or crowder I would suspect all that likely trumps sarvers rep. And the tank is ancient history - that has zero bearing on where people want to land (see the sixers as evidence of that fact).
Don’t forget Crowder came here unexpectedly also to play with CP3.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny Ainge confirmed that two new teams have entered the race for Mitchell. Timing doesn't seem coincidental now that Durant is staying with the Nets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think the Suns are looking for starters. I expect Cam Johnson to start at power forward.

What the Suns need are players capable of starting in a pinch in case of injury or to rest players.

I'm still wanting that third ball handler and shooter, although I'm optimistic Duane Washington Jr. may help.

The need for an Eric Gordon type player is still there. Also, I'd like a power forward that can do more than shoot 3-pointers, who can mix it up inside.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think the Suns are looking for starters. I expect Cam Johnson to start at power forward.

What the Suns need are players capable of starting in a pinch in case of injury or to rest players.

I'm still wanting that third ball handler and shooter, although I'm optimistic Duane Washington Jr. may help.

The need for an Eric Gordon type player is still there. Also, I'd like a power forward that can do more than shoot 3-pointers, who can mix it up inside.
Cam needs to bulk up if he is going to be an everyday starter at PF. I have watched him the past two seasons get pushed around by FC players with regularity. You need more than 4 rebounds per game at that position or we are going to get killed on the boards. IMO, if we didn't have Bridges at the SF and we had a lefit PF, that's where Cam would be playing. He often comes off the bench for Bridges now. I think that's why there are rumors of moving Jae. The Suns are trying to shore that up. They just don't have the money for a starter which puts them in an odd position. Maybe we can still trade for a starter.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam needs to bulk up if he is going to be an everyday starter at PF. I have watched him the past two seasons get pushed around by FC players with regularity. You need more than 4 rebounds per game at that position or we are going to get killed on the boards. I think that's why there are rumors of moving Jae. The Suns are trying to shore that up.

Yes, I'm sure the Suns are trying to add another player who can play power forward, but I think they will give Cam Johnson the opportunity first. Cam has bulked up before but is unable to hold the weight from what I can tell.

IMO, the key is to add another 4 that can play inside and out if they replace Crowder... someone who can rebound and score inside when necessary.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any Otto Porter Jr. type players out there?

This is the type player the Suns could use at the 4 and it shouldn't cost a fortune. Torrey Craig is not that player.

I wouldn't mind Crowder as a bench player, but I don't think this is going to happen.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cam needs to bulk up if he is going to be an everyday starter at PF. I have watched him the past two seasons get pushed around by FC players with regularity. You need more than 4 rebounds per game at that position or we are going to get killed on the boards. IMO, if we didn't have Bridges at the SF and we had a lefit PF, that's where Cam would be playing. He often comes off the bench for Bridges now. I think that's why there are rumors of moving Jae. The Suns are trying to shore that up. They just don't have the money for a starter which puts them in an odd position. Maybe we can still trade for a starter.
Funny thing is, Cam looked EXACTLY like the player we needed in the Knicks game. Of course, he got injured late in that game and when he returned several weeks later he looked nothing like that same player.

He's got the ability, just needs the drive.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is, Cam looked EXACTLY like the player we needed in the Knicks game. Of course, he got injured late in that game and when he returned several weeks later he looked nothing like that same player.

He has got "some" ability. He doesn't solve the Suns second chance point problem or shoring up the FC problem unless you are only counting offense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Danny Ainge confirmed that two new teams have entered the race for Mitchell. Timing doesn't seem coincidental now that Durant is staying with the Nets.
I'm sure it isn't, the potential to acquire Durant was holding things up.

Toronto is probably one, and maybe Philly is the other.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He did, but that was one game. If he could play 80% that well on a regular basis he would be an all star.

Both Cam and Mikal's potential are limited by them not being top tier athletes.

However Ayton is - so he does have superstar potential if he could just get right mentally, but that is of course unlikely to happen either.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He did, but that was one game. If he could play 80% that well on a regular basis he would be an all star.

Both Cam and Mikal's potential are limited by them not being top tier athletes.

However Ayton is - so he does have superstar potential if he could just get right mentally, but that is of course unlikely to happen either.
In that game, it wasn't like he was Superman. He was still playing his game, but he was making shots and his teammates were giving him A LOT of opportunities he normally doesn't see.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the Suns front office is really underestimating what a REAL PF could do for DA's game and teamplay.
Yes we still need a competent backup PG or PGOF but we have 4 or 5 players for that pg spot as is, adding more without losing some seems wasteful.
Maybe Ish can step into a PF spot when we need more size because Cam J who I Love Love is not a starting PF for most NBA teams IMO.

Unless several guys step up and a few have career seasons it just gonna be more of the same with the roster as is and with minimal upgrades.
Moves have to be made, get on it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Power forward Marquese Chriss is available. Maybe ship Crowder to the Pelicans for Nance Jr

The meltdown on this board if the Suns were to re-acquire Chriss would be hilarious. Sadly, I don't see it happening, because the entertainment factor would be a great reward.

Nance has the size, but plays like more of a tweener. He'd be redundant.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The meltdown on this board if the Suns were to re-acquire Chriss would be hilarious. Sadly, I don't see it happening, because the entertainment factor would be a great reward.

Nance has the size, but plays like more of a tweener. He'd be redundant.
Nah, the one thing Nance would provide that would be hella valuable we really lack is rebounding.

I don't mind the idea of acquiring him at all.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Let's hope he's not another Zarko Cabarkapa.