Suns Off-season Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the "Post up" power forward we get can shoot 55-60 percent on his post up opportunites, we are better off getting a 3 point shooter - because 38% from 3 is equivalent to 55-60%.
Where did you come up with that fuzzy math?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Suns really don't have 3/4s that can play both inside and out. Jae Crowder and Torrey Craig were disappointments in this regard playing inside.

They need someone to play the 4 who can do both.

The Suns may give Cam Johnson a chance to start at this position, but they need more inside scoring and rebounding from him.
Again - you can count on one hand the amount of players that can do both.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the "Post up" power forward we get can shoot 55-60 percent on his post up opportunites, we are better off getting a 3 point shooter - because 38% from 3 is equivalent to 55-60%.

Other than Zion, Giannis, Jokic and Embid - I'm not sure there is anyone that can even do that. If there is - it might be Ayton, so why would we want somebody else to take that role?

The Warriors are a good model of using the modern day 4.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. Ok. Now the obvious question. Why not use the post-up abilities of the center already on your roster?
Ayton's baby hook is excellent.

I'm curious if Ayton has made some demands or requests as to how he'll be used in the offense going forward. I remember a report saying he'd be more of a focal point next season after the Suns matched his offer sheet but there weren't any details as to how he'd be used more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again - you can count on one hand the amount of players that can do both.

Not if you expand your horizon to including players that can play both forward positions. Check out the Warriors.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, it's basketball 101. (And why so many teams bomb away from 3 these days)

That is a duh statement if the 3 point shooting can be made at the same clip as high percentage 2 point shooting. 3 pointers are worth more. How many teams have that ability other than the Warriors? No team that has a title has been able to shoot at that clip without Curry consistently to win it all.

Fuzzy math.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not if you expand your horizon to including players that can play both forward positions. Check out the Warriors.
Yes - if you completely ignore the fact that Gambo said post up PF, then yes, there are a lot of combo forwards out there. That's not what we're talking about though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is we need a PF that can play better inside. Splitting hairs is nothing to get freaked out about. I seriously doubt anybody was thinking we were going to change the offensive and watch a PF back people down for the duration of a shot clock.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes - if you completely ignore the fact that Gambo said post up PF, then yes, there are a lot of combo forwards out there. That's not what we're talking about though.

As I already mentioned, I'm not going to get locked onto labels. It's the modern NBA.

It's more about what a player does than the label. Using a position name is often a shortcut to describe how a player plays.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I already mentioned, I'm not going to get locked onto labels. It's the modern NBA.

It's more about what a player does than the label. Using a position name is often a shortcut to describe how a player plays.
So this. A modern day PF who plays in the post is not a 90's PF. It's not the same game. Besides, it's unlike Gambo to get tongue tied right?! :mrgreen:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well Gambo did mention the exception - Montrez Harrell? That is the only FA that can kind of post up that I see.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Gambo did mention the exception - Montrez Harrell? That is the only FA that can kind of post up that I see.

I'm not sure what is going on with that marijuana charge.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is going on with that marijuana charge.
I just found this:

"Harrell has been charged with trafficking less than five pounds of marijuana, per reports, a felony punishable by one to five years in prison and a fine between $1,000 and $10,000."

From the sounds of it, he was lucky it wasn't 5 pounds and will likely only face a fine. He likely won't see any prison time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found this:

"Harrell has been charged with trafficking less than five pounds of marijuana, per reports, a felony punishable by one to five years in prison and a fine between $1,000 and $10,000."

From the sounds of it, he was lucky it wasn't 5 pounds and will likely only face a fine. He likely won't see any prison time.

If he is convicted of a felony, some teams might be reluctant to sign him. Maybe it gets plea bargained to something less?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The corpse of Lamarcus Aldridge seems like the most obvious answer to this mystery.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no chance the Suns sign Harrell. Pot charges played a role in letting Rashaun Holmes walk in free agency, they won't sign a player with pending felony pot charges. Signing a player facing felony drug charges doesn't fit the culture they've worked hard to build.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we need to address the backup PG situation.

I think the Suns will eventually address it, but they may wait until the trade deadline to do it.

Signing Duane Washington Jr. to a two-way contract may have bought them some time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
petition to bad every flex tweet on this forum moving forward.

They have Cam Payne signed already. Backup PG isn't as big of a weakness as a lot of people make it out to be. We still need a 3rd string PG unless Shamet will handle that role this season, which is a possibility.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The corpse of Lamarcus Aldridge seems like the most obvious answer to this mystery.

Unfortunately I believe Carmelo makes more sense and has more in the tank than Aldridge. I'm not saying I want it to happen but I'm worried it might happen.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it gets plea bargained to something less?
That's my guess. They never get the maximum allowable sentence. If he just gets fined with a community service someone will sign him. The fact it was less than 5 pounds means he isn't going to get charged like a dealer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose