Suns Off-season Thread

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Odd way to describe that trade. They were looking to add Cassell and Horry to the guys they already had - Michael Finley, A.C. Green, Kevin Johnson, Danny Manning, Steve Nash, Wesley Person, Wayman Tisdale, Hot Rod Williams - Bryant and Brown weren't cornerstones for building on.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I used to wonder why Colangelo made such a stupid trade; but back then I didn't understand that his hands were tied by Barkley's demands.

Barkley's days as a superstar were over by that point. He had one more All-Star Game in him, and he was still a great rebounder, but not taking care of himself was starting to catch up with him by that point.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What the hell is a post up PF? We going back to the Sir Charles offense? (One guy iso'ed and backing down while everyone stands around)

We need a combo guard and a 3 and D PF. No idea what Gambo is getting at here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the hell is a post up PF? We going back to the Sir Charles offense? (One guy iso'ed and backing down while everyone stands around)

Maybe the Suns want a power forward that can create his own shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of those exist at this point?

If it were up to me, I'd go after Kevin Love and Eric Gordon.

It doesn't have to be a traditional power forward. Wings play a lot of power forward these days. I'm not sure who the Suns have in mind.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be a traditional power forward. Wings play a lot of power forward these days. I'm not sure who the Suns have in mind.
The post up PF comment didn't strike you as odd? Can you ever remember Monty posting up a PF or C ever?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The post up PF comment didn't strike you as odd? Can you ever remember Monty posting up a PF or C ever?

I'm not going to take a tweet literally. I tend to look at it in a broader sense.

It makes sense, the Suns want a 4 that can do more things inside like rebound and score.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? Why specifically mention a post up PF if that's not what they want?

That they need an upgrade at PF? Yeah, I agree. You're trying to ignore the most puzzling part of the post.

I take social media as a source of information, not necessarily the end result.

The NBA has mostly gone away from labels. There are a lot of 3/4s that can play the position.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Power Forward who can create his own shots and make higher percentage shots than our guards chucking up shots. That is exactly what we need. Instead of depending on our guards to put up jumpers and shoot 3's this team needs to be able to rely on more high percentage shots. That doesn't equate to standing around and watch your PF back someone down for the duration of the shot clock like Barkley.

What is odd about wanting the ability to take higher percentage shots? We have seen what happens to this team when the jumpers don't fall. Our options dry up. I don't think that means we are going to be an inside out team but having that option is critical when you are having an off night. Ayton has not been able to fill that role consistently and Crowder is not that kind of PF.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The NBA has mostly gone away from labels. There are a lot of 3/4s that can play the position.
Well yes, but a post 4 is COMPLETELY different from your typically 3-4 swingmen...undersized 4's like Jae/Torrey Craig.

I agree that a tweener 3/4 is likely the route we'll go, but that's bc that's about 90% of the PF's these days.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Power Forward who can create his own shots and make higher percentage shots than our guards chucking up shots. That is exactly what we need.
Dude - how do you propose we acquire such a player? Who fits the criteria, who would be an upgrade over Cam J or Jae that will be available that we can afford?
Instead of depending on our guards to put up jumpers and shoot 3's this team needs to be able to rely on more high percentage shots. That doesn't equate to standing around and watch your PF back someone down for the duration of the shot clock like Barkley.
How do post forward typically operate?
What is odd about wanting the ability to take higher percentage shots?
Who is against higher percentage shots? The whole conceit of the Monty offense is ball movement and a post PF would completely mess up spacing. How hard is this to understand?
We have seen what happens to this team when the jumpers don't fall. Our options dry up. I don't think that means we are going to be an inside out team but having that option is critical when you are having an off night. Ayton has not been able to fill that role consistently and Crowder is not that kind of PF.
Ayton is one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA, and doesn't need to be at the 3 point line. Adding another non 3 point shooter at the 4 seems like a terrible idea.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns look at John Collins.
No they will not. They do not want Collins.

I think they are far more interested in someone like Toppin.

But this tweet is weird - a post up power forward? Why do we want that? If anyone needs to be posting up it's Ayton. We need spacing for him if anything IMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many of those exist at this point?

If it were up to me, I'd go after Kevin Love and Eric Gordon.
Is there a reason you want really old players?

We will be trading away our draft picks - I would at least like to get someone who will be able to play for us for 3 or 4 years, instead of looking to retire in a year or two.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yes, but a post 4 is COMPLETELY different from your typically 3-4 swingmen...undersized 4's like Jae/Torrey Craig.

I agree that a tweener 3/4 is likely the route we'll go, but that's bc that's about 90% of the PF's these days.

The Suns really don't have 3/4s that can play both inside and out. Jae Crowder and Torrey Craig were disappointments in this regard playing inside.

They need someone to play the 4 who can do both.

The Suns may give Cam Johnson a chance to start at this position, but they need more inside scoring and rebounding from him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No they will not. They do not want Collins.

I think they are far more interested in someone like Toppin.

But this tweet is weird - a post up power forward? Why do we want that? If anyone needs to be posting up it's Ayton. We need spacing for him if anything IMO.

I'd be interested in Toppin if he becomes available.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude - how do you propose we acquire such a player? Who fits the criteria, who would be an upgrade over Cam J or Jae that will be available that we can afford?

How do post forward typically operate?

Who is against higher percentage shots? The whole conceit of the Monty offense is ball movement and a post PF would completely mess up spacing. How hard is this to understand?

Ayton is one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA, and doesn't need to be at the 3 point line. Adding another non 3 point shooter at the 4 seems like a terrible idea.
Dude. I am not JJ. That's his job not mine. It is just being reported the Suns are looking for such player. I don't know the contract situation of all those types of PF but has JJ not shown a knack for crafty moves?

Post players doesn't mean backing players down as there only means to score. It means they generally get their points in the "Post" which is the area from the FT to the basket. That's all that means. I think you had Barkley in your head and jumped to that conclusion. That has never been this offense. We ran more inside to Ayton this year in which he made those baby jump shots and hooks in the lane. They are looking for more of that.

Doing MORE of something higher percentage does not equate to all the time. Having the option when things are stagnant is not all the time. Crowder was brought here to space the floor and shoot the 3. When he isn't hitting his shots? How does that work out for us? Getting another guard isn't going to solve that either.

How hard is that to understand?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Power Forward who can create his own shots and make higher percentage shots than our guards chucking up shots. That is exactly what we need. Instead of depending on our guards to put up jumpers and shoot 3's this team needs to be able to rely on more high percentage shots. That doesn't equate to standing around and watch your PF back someone down for the duration of the shot clock like Barkley.

What is odd about wanting the ability to take higher percentage shots? We have seen what happens to this team when the jumpers don't fall. Our options dry up. I don't think that means we are going to be an inside out team but having that option is critical when you are having an off night. Ayton has not been able to fill that role consistently and Crowder is not that kind of PF.
Unless the "Post up" power forward we get can shoot 55-60 percent on his post up opportunites, we are better off getting a 3 point shooter - because 38% from 3 is equivalent to 55-60%.

Other than Zion, Giannis, Jokic and Embid - I'm not sure there is anyone that can even do that. If there is - it might be Ayton, so why would we want somebody else to take that role?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's Gambo's tweet, which should prove he's not being misquoted or misrepresented. Makes me believe Sarver is the one telling him this info. An interior PF would make some sense but the verbiage of a "post up PF" sounds like it's coming from someone who isn't up to date on the current NBA and it's vernacular.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who ARE the post-up power forwards in the NBA?

I guess we could make a play for AD. The Lakers might be willing to move on from that. For the Suns it would be a huge gamble--but if he could finally stay healthy, a huge get. Just thinking wild thoughts here. Please don't flame.

Crowder, Shamet, Craig, and Saric plus picks would meet salary requirements. Ha! Can you imagine LeBron and Crowder on the same team?! Yes, I know it's ridiculous, but it's August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard