Suns @ Nets Saturday game thread 11-27-2021

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s how much do you value defense. It’s not flashy but being in the right place and where you should be is super important

Our biggest issue is if Booker is off who gets us a basket. Our offense scares me

Besides Paul, I'm hoping Shamet becomes that guy. McGee gets a lot of key baskets as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s how much do you value defense. It’s not flashy but being in the right place and where you should be is super important

Our biggest issue is if Booker is off who gets us a basket. Our offense scares me

Yeah. We don’t have the guy who can attack the rim with abandon. The guy who can get FTs when the game bogs down. We’re very dependent on 3s and Booker, for as great as he is, doesn’t have the Wade/Kobe thing where he can work for great shots or buckets at the rim at the end of games and so the O gets stagnant.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think McGee is a great team defender. It's not an accident the Suns play some of their basketball when he is in the game.

We’ve won 16 in a row we play great no matter who’s in. That 5 guy bench line up is by far our worse and Monty stays with it way to long.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah. We don’t have the guy who can attack the rim with abandon. The guy who can get FTs when the game bogs down. We’re very dependent on 3s and Booker, for as great as he is, doesn’t have the Wade/Kobe thing where he can work for great shots or buckets at the rim at the end of games and so the O gets stagnant.
You build quality depth for a reason. We need to simply rely on a few other guys picking up the slack when Booker is off. Obviously sometimes that guy can be Paul, but Mikal, the Cams, Crowder and Shamet are all capable of keeping the offense afloat for stretches when Booker is off. Would be nice if Ayton could develop into a consistent scorer, but that doesn't appear to be the case this year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been saying it all season long. Bridges has been our rock all season. Not necessarily in the stat column but all the little things he does like interupts passing lanes, making guys work hard for shots and making guy chase him all around the court.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Besides Paul, I'm hoping Shamet becomes that guy. McGee gets a lot of key baskets as well.

Shamet can’t get his own shot and I don’t want McGee doing anything but catching lobs. I love McGee but your seriously overrating him at this point.

He’s not a guy we should be counting on to get important baskets at all and I mean AT ALL.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have been saying it all season long. Bridges has been our rock all season. Not necessarily in the stat column but all the little things he does like interupts passing lanes, making guys work hard for shots and making guy chase him all around the court.
He has also been very consistent on offense. Not a bunch of high scoring performances, but has consistently put up double digit point in like 16 of 20 games this year. Hopefully when the game slows down in the playoffs he can become more of scoring threat, but right now he is simply accepting his role within the flow of the offense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has also been very consistent on offense. Not a bunch of high scoring performances, but has consistently put up double digit point in like 16 of 20 games this year. Hopefully when the game slows down in the playoffs he can become more of scoring threat, but right now he is simply accepting his role within the flow of the offense.

I think he’s a 10-14 point a game guy with great defense. I don’t ever see him being a legit option on offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet can’t get his own shot and I don’t want McGee doing anything but catching lobs. I love McGee but your seriously overrating him at this point.

He’s not a guy we should be counting on to get important baskets at all and I mean AT ALL.

With McGee on the roster the Suns likely win the championship last season.

Shamet gets a lot of open looks. When he starts hitting those shots consistently it will be huge. I didn't say he was a shot creator.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think he’s a 10-14 point a game guy with great defense. I don’t ever see him being a legit option on offense.
Remains to be seen at this point. He has shown the ability to score in a myriad of ways, but just hasn't shown that he can do it consistently yet. However, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that he simply isn't being asked to be that guy right now. We won't really know until he is put in a position to handle the ball more.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You build quality depth for a reason. We need to simply rely on a few other guys picking up the slack when Booker is off. Obviously sometimes that guy can be Paul, but Mikal, the Cams, Crowder and Shamet are all capable of keeping the offense afloat for stretches when Booker is off. Would be nice if Ayton could develop into a consistent scorer, but that doesn't appear to be the case this year.

I’m talking end of game crunch time. Even then, book and CP3 are good. They’re just not impose their will, HOF level closer good.

what this team is is a more well rounded version of the 2004/5 Detroit Pistons team that was a quarter away from back to back chips. A team where the whole greater than the sum of its parts. A true TEAM in every sense. And I do believe definitely good enough to accomplish the same as those Pistons teams.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’m talking end of game crunch time. Even then, book and CP3 are good. They’re just not impose their will, HOF level closer good.

what this team is is a more well rounded version of the 2004/5 Detroit Pistons team that was a quarter away from back to back chips. A team where the whole greater than the sum of its parts. A true TEAM in every sense. And I do believe definitely good enough to accomplish the same as those Pistons teams.
Let's hope so. Was a big fan of that Pistons team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve won 16 in a row we play great no matter who’s in. That 5 guy bench line up is by far our worse and Monty stays with it way to long.

The bench is made to hold the lead and rest the starters. It's hard to win without them.

Look how the Suns won with Ayton out.

Frank is a part of the equation as well. The Suns need him back for a three headed monster at center.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With McGee on the roster the Suns likely win the championship last season.

Shamet gets a lot of open looks. When he starts hitting those shots consistently it will be huge. I didn't say he was a shot creator.

We have plenty of guys who can shoot but playoffs come down to being able to get your own shot when the game bogs down. We were talking about an option when Booker is off

Maybe but Paul being hurt and giving us nothing was more the reason we didn’t win it all. McGee wouldn’t of made a difference with Paul not even being able to get it across half court.

I love McGee but saying he’s getting us important baskets or we can even depend on him for that is just wrong.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's hope so. Was a big fan of that Pistons team.

Same. I look at CP3/Booker as the superstar version of Chauncey/Rip, Bridges and Prince are pretty equal and Ayton isn’t quite as much of a beast on D as Wallace was but he’s a better offensive player. Sheed obviously better than Jae, but both brought a toughness.

We’re still missing that second big off the bench those teams had. The McDyess in year 2 or the Mehmet Okur/Williamson duo when they crushed the Lakers.

If this team could somehow pry Thad young away without losing major assets, they would literally have every position just pretty much stacked.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bench is made to hold the lead and rest the starters. It's hard to win without them.

Look how the Suns won with Ayton out.

Frank is a part of the equation as well. The Suns need him back for a three headed monster at center.

Look how they’ve won with Ayton.

We shouldn’t depend on Frank especially in the playoffs. Frank can do good against mid-lower level teams but he’s here to give those two rest mostly

We desperately need to pull off that Thad Young trade

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have plenty of guys who can shoot but playoffs come down to being able to get your own shot when the game bogs down. We were talking about an option when Booker is off

Maybe but Paul being hurt and giving us nothing was more the reason we didn’t win it all. McGee wouldn’t of made a difference with Paul not even being able to get it across half court.

I love McGee but saying he’s getting us important baskets or we can even depend on him for that is just wrong.

Paul and Booker are the Suns best shot creators. Payne can do it some as well as Bridges to a lesser extent. That's unlikely to change.

The Suns best shot creator after that is their .5 offense (ball movement).

I really appreciate McGee. Watch him if you don't think he impacts the game. He affects the game on both ends of the court.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Same. I look at CP3/Booker as the superstar version of Chauncey/Rip, Bridges and Prince are pretty equal and Ayton isn’t quite as much of a beast on D as Wallace was but he’s a better offensive player. Sheed obviously better than Jae, but both brought a toughness.

We’re still missing that second big off the bench those teams had. The McDyess in year 2 or the Mehmet Okur/Williamson duo when they crushed the Lakers.

If this team could somehow pry Thad young away without losing major assets, they would literally have every position just pretty much stacked.

Borg

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He would seriously need to work on his handles to get better and we just haven’t seen that over the last couple years. It’s possible, but he would really need to buckle down and drill that into his game to take the next step.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Hell just having Saric back would have helped with Janis.
McGee is a big boy who could have helped clog the lane so Janis wouldn't have been able to drive on us over and over and over when we got in foul trouble.
Not saying we would have won but he would have helped for sure.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul and Booker are the Suns best shot creators. Payne can do it some as well as Bridges. That's unlikely to change.

The Suns best shot creator after that is their .5 offense (ball movement).

I really appreciate McGee. Watch him if you don't think he impacts the game. He impacts the game on both ends of the court.

I’ve said nothing but I love him and he was my #1 Target in free agency. I never said he doesn’t impact the game but he is what he is. A really good role player.