Suns need a new coach

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watching now the Spurs game....they are a joke. The players lack fundamentals, they don't play as a unit, it's an attitude of 'what can I get', they can't shoot the ball worth a pint and their defense is as organized as a monkey poo fight.
Horny gotta go

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Things weren't as bad as they are now. Right when we started that set of away games where we lost 2 games at the last second, we were playing the wrong rotations and personal near the end of the games. I think that set off a chain reaction of events that spiraled out of control and led to where we are now, minus Bledsoe's injury. I guess that could be blamed on management considering Bledsoe's injury history.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching now the Spurs game....they are a joke. The players lack fundamentals, they don't play as a unit, it's an attitude of 'what can I get', they can't shoot the ball worth a pint and their defense is as organized as a monkey poo fight.
Horny gotta go

So would a new coach be able to magically erase the injuries that have left us with only 8 players who can take the court tonight? We are essentially playing a bunch of scrubs, plus a few good players.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really don't know if it's Jeff's fault but I'd be very surprised if he survived this season. And if next season is as dismal as this one has been I'd be surprised if Ryan survived any longer than that too. At some point it really doesn't matter whose fault it is, results are everything.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I really don't know if it's Jeff's fault but I'd be very surprised if he survived this season. And if next season is as dismal as this one has been I'd be surprised if Ryan survived any longer than that too. At some point it really doesn't matter whose fault it is, results are everything.

I agree. After this year, someone has to be sacrificed so that the team can move on. Right or wrong, it's gonna be Jeff. Ryan reminds me of D'Antoni in that he is stubborn. He has his mind set on two combo guards, and he just cannot move past that. Outside of that, I really think he's done a good job.

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watching them play....they are a high school team with no direction.
Shoot they couldn't even pass the ball. It's a bunch of individuals playing like loners in a team sport...that's why I blame the coach.
They lack fundamental shooting, passing, team play....
And they were playing the scrubs of San Antionio.
Jeff has got to go...and I like the guy but this team is awful to watch.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watching them play....they are a high school team with no direction.
Shoot they couldn't even pass the ball. It's a bunch of individuals playing like loners in a team sport...that's why I blame the coach.
They lack fundamental shooting, passing, team play....
And they were playing the scrubs of San Antionio.
Jeff has got to go...and I like the guy but this team is awful to watch.

If anything the Spurs were playing "the scrubs" of Phoenix. We lost Tucker to injury early in the game and we were also missing Bledsoe, Knight, Morris, Leuer and Teletovic. That's 6 rotation players out (4 of them were expected starters this season) once PJ went down. That Spurs team is much better than our team when we're fully healthy, it's hard to expect anything other than a mess given who we had available.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't disagree that the team needs a new coach but I think at this point in the season it might hurt more than help to let Hornacek go. The team is tanking now and Hornacek isn't going to turn things around, no matter what he does. I don't think he's been a very good head coach during his time here and if the Suns keep him beyond this season I have no idea what they're planning. I don't see how he can be expected to take this team on an upswing with a healthy roster plus a new rookie and maybe 1 rotation quality player added in free agency. It will be best to start fresh with a new coach and new approach in the offseason, before the draft and/or free agency starts. I think the Suns could have a top 3 pick and in that case it should be BPA and who the coach is shouldn't matter much in regards to who is picked but having a coach with a developed system will be important entering free agency and filling holes on the roster.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would go after Thibodeau.

Proven coaches like Thiboudeau usually don't take over rebuilding teams unless they get a full control like Stan Van Gundy did in Detroit.

Even if he would, I'm not sure that the Suns' high-scoring identity would fit Thibs' defensive-minded set-up but that's probably one of the last issues.

I think that Luke Walton may be a more realistic and fitting target.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bledsoe, Knight, Leuer, Kieff, Tele, all out with injuries. They kept it close until the 4th quarter. Booker, TJ, Len, and even Archie were in double figures. The tank continues. No need for any changes.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think they have the right coach to get the most possible ping pong balls in he hopper.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Amen. Let him tank coach out the year. Poor guy I don't envy him. Get a proven coach next year.

Build around Booker. Warren and Len have been disappointing so far this season but they can still turn it around. Goodwin seems to lack desire so he should be a trading chip or just don't renew his contract.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he refuses to play the young guys, OK. But he is doing that.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bledsoe, Knight, Leuer, Kieff, Tele, all out with injuries. They kept it close until the 4th quarter. Booker, TJ, Len, and even Archie were in double figures. The tank continues. No need for any changes.

and Tucker went out with an injury after 6 minutes

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't ask a coach to tank and then fire him for it. Evaluate after the season. If you don't believe he is the long term answer, make a move at that time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't ask a coach to tank and then fire him for it. Evaluate after the season. If you don't believe he is the long term answer, make a move at that time.

This should be the Suns game plan barring anything unexpected happens.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You can't ask a coach to tank and then fire him for it. Evaluate after the season.
You don't fire him FOR tanking.

You either let him go or, at worst as you said, keep him for the rest of the season, when his contract ends.

Then you make moves and start fresh during the off-season and into camp with an experienced well-rounded Head Coach who knows how to lead a team, especially a rebuilding team.

I guess we're saying the same thing. But the "tanking" followed the failures when we were trying to win. No one asked Jeff to tank to start the season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think they really started tanking until the last 2 weeks anyway, he'd lost control of the team well before that.

I don't see any chance that he is back next year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kobe will be available to coach next year! We can do that!

t.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How would everyone react if Hornacek is brought back next season?

I'm not making any assumptions about what the team does in the offseason other than they'll add a lottery picked rookie. No wishful thinking of the #1 overall, signing a big name, or making a huge trade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard