Suns @ Mavericks Monday game thread 2-1-2021

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There's a service station here in the Carolina's called BP. I now know its named after Book and Paul. Suns have had some great back courts before this is one.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ayton is going to cost us playoff games. I can already feel it in my bones.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amazing w by the suns

That winning 3 by book was clutch

Hope suns do well vs pelicans tom and on there home stretch sooon

Also hope dario back soon

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Teams are getting used to his game. He is going to get numbers but his overall effectiveness is limited.

he is a horrible defender. The entire Dallas team is. There is no way CP3 should have that much specs to shoot in the midrange.

Ayton’s game is under appreciated here. His d is still solid and his rebounding is stellar.

btw Ouchie, just a minor point but Rodman was a natural rebounder. He just had a knack for knowing where to be. He didn’t block out much.
It wasn’t a “knack.” He studied it. Literally put in hours of film work to learn it. I think maybe you’ve not seen much in the way of interviews with him, his teammates and opponents to know this about him. He often just beat opponents to the ball. But he was also extraordinary at gaining position to effectively box out. In fact, the more I think about your post, the more wrong I believe it is.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not know this but the Mavericks 2021 draft pick goes to the Knicks unprotected from the Porzingis trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I did not know this but the Mavericks 2021 draft pick goes to the Knicks unprotected from the Porzingis trade.
He doesn’t feel very unicorny anymore. Would likely be a phenomenal third banana on a championship team.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Tell your bones to relax.

I get what your saying but geez.

He plays closer level minutes and doesn't seem to be able to achieve what is required of him when the stress level rises.

This isn't Cam missing shots here...... It's a meaningful concern.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Mavs win the lottery that will actually end up being a very bad trade for them.

I still can't believe the Mavericks are as bad as they have played lately. Doncic is looking a little more slow though. Maybe it's because he has worn down trying to carry that team. I'm still thinking they are a playoff team if Porzingis can get healthy and play like a star.

On a side note. The referees gave Doncic the benefit of almost every foul call. He charged into a Suns player last night and even got the call. There were a number of plays he got the benefit of the call. He is definitely getting special treatment by the referees.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

He plays closer level minutes and doesn't seem to be able to achieve what is required of him when the stress level rises.

I get the frustration, and I share it. But think about it -- even with him playing this badly, how many games can you specifically cite where Ayton was the primary reason we lost? Outside of the 25-game suspension last year, I can't think of a single one where Ayton is the issue. Heck, all our losses this year were generally because of Monty, CP3 or Booker.

You could argue that he decided to not play any defense against Detroit and Washington and that's why we lost, but that's hard to quantify.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I still can't believe the Mavericks are as bad as they have played lately. Doncic is looking a little more slow though. Maybe it's because he has worn down trying to carry that team. I'm still thinking they are a playoff team if Porzingis can get healthy and play like a star.

On a side note. The referees gave Doncic the benefit of almost every foul call. He charged into a Suns player last night and even got the call. There were a number of plays he got the benefit of the call. He is definitely getting special treatment by the referees.
I was stunned that the refs called two carries on Doncic and Porzingis early in the game, and then just stopped doing it. I know of at least one instance where it was MUCH more apparent.

That officiating inconsistency is infuriating.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I get the frustration, and I share it. But think about it -- even with him playing this badly, how many games can you specifically cite where Ayton was the primary reason we lost? Outside of the 25-game suspension last year, I can't think of a single one where Ayton is the issue. Heck, all our losses this year were generally because of Monty, CP3 or Booker.

You could argue that he decided to not play any defense against Detroit and Washington and that's why we lost, but that's hard to quantify.
I agree that it's hard to quantify... But the 7 minutes he played in the 4th last night were abysmal. Usually with subjective things like this.... I use the eye test. He doesn't pass that test very often. Especially late in close contests.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OKC game we just lost was on him. When Booker goes out, we needed him to step up and instead he scored 5 points in a game we lost at hone by 5 to a lousy team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ayton had numerous stops on Doncic this game while the Suns played Mikal on Porzingis (quite effectively) a lot of the time.

If I was a Dallas fan, that would embarrass me.

I watch Mavs a lot, since I am a huge Luka fan, and most teams can get away with putting a smaller guy on Porzingis. Dude can't take advantage of anyone in the low post.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watch Mavs a lot, since I am a huge Luka fan, and most teams can get away with putting a smaller guy on Porzingis. Dude can't take advantage of anyone in the low post.

Do you think Luka is getting worn down trying to carry the Mavericks? It looked like it to me. He has to produce big time every night for the Mavericks to win and then that may not be enough.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Do you think Luka is getting worn down trying to carry the Mavericks? It looked like it to me. He has to produce big time every night for the Mavericks to win and then that may not be enough.

Yes, to some degree. Team is just not constructed around him properly. They need defense, athleticism, and some inside game.

That said, it is painfully obvious he came into this season out of shape. He worked himself back in, but he was obviously out of shaoe for a while. I wonder if that's catching up now. Another thing is that he has to learn how to take good three-pointers. He is actually a good shooter, but he just takes so many bad shots. It really would help the Mavs to have another facilitator to get Luka some assisted shots.

Another thing with Mavs is that they are just missing their threes. They are a terrible three-point shooting team this year. You can't win without any inside game and with terrible three-point shooting. I still think they will figure it out, but they've gotta add some defense, shooting, and athleticism.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The announcing team mentioned that no one on the mavs does anything to produce good shots. They all just expect doncic to create for them. If that’s accurate it will definitely wear him down and it’s an indictment on Carlisle, who I generally think is a very good coach.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Man, just enjoy the win for a day or so.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, to some degree. Team is just not constructed around him properly. They need defense, athleticism, and some inside game.

That said, it is painfully obvious he came into this season out of shape. He worked himself back in, but he was obviously out of shaoe for a while. I wonder if that's catching up now. Another thing is that he has to learn how to take good three-pointers. He is actually a good shooter, but he just takes so many bad shots. It really would help the Mavs to have another facilitator to get Luka some assisted shots.

Another thing with Mavs is that they are just missing their threes. They are a terrible three-point shooting team this year. You can't win without any inside game and with terrible three-point shooting. I still think they will figure it out, but they've gotta add some defense, shooting, and athleticism.

Perhaps teams are forcing Doncic to beat them than more now than ever before. That's a heavy load for him to carry.

Porzingis may never be that second star they had hoped for.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The announcing team mentioned that no one on the mavs does anything to produce good shots. They all just expect doncic to create for them. If that’s accurate it will definitely wear him down and it’s an indictment on Carlisle, who I generally think is a very good coach.

I think Carlise is probably doing the best he can with the personnel they have. Mavericks desperately need someone to help take the load off Doncic. Still I think the Mavericks will be a playoff team before the dust settles.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Carlise is probably doing the best he can with the personnel they have. Mavericks desperately need someone to help take the load off Doncic. Still I think the Mavericks will be a playoff team before the dust settles.

They just have so little top shelf talent on that team. Porzingis would be a great #3, but he’s too injury prone and not dynamic enough to be a number 2. And behind him... it’s a drop off a cliff. And defensively... yikes. They don’t even have one standout defender on the entire team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They just have so little top shelf talent on that team. Porzingis would be a great #3, but he’s too injury prone and not dynamic enough to be a number 2. And behind him... it’s a drop off a cliff. And defensively... yikes. They don’t even have one standout defender on the entire team.

Knowing Mark Cuban, the Mavericks will add another key player but it will be made harder not having their 2020-21 first round pick. Now I mostly waiting for it to happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose