Suns @ Lakers Thursday Playoff game thread 5-27-2021 - Game 3

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul is listed as PROBABLE for game 3.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul is listed as PROBABLE for game 3.

if he's just as bad off as last night, I'm going to hate our decision making in this series if we keep trying to let him play through it. hopefully this is just gamesmanship forcing the Lakers to have to give at least a little time to their defensive gameplan.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if he's just as bad off as last night, I'm going to hate our decision making in this series if we keep trying to let him play through it. hopefully this is just gamesmanship forcing the Lakers to have to give at least a little time to their defensive gameplan.

Sit or play that's exactly what they are doing.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's interesting that it seemed much better during the shootaround than once the game started. That could potentially lean towards it being something that could get better as we go. Or at least I hope that's how it goes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that it seemed much better during the shootaround than once the game started. That could potentially lean towards it being something that could get better as we go. Or at least I hope that's how it goes.

seems more like it implies that the more you use it, the worse it gets. which is why I think they should just shut him down for tomorrow night. they only need to get ONE in LA. Having CP3 at his best (whatever that is right now) is our best bet for a W.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let us all pray :) lol bong hit to a speedy recovery paul hey im low on flower now

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
seems more like it implies that the more you use it, the worse it gets. which is why I think they should just shut him down for tomorrow night. they only need to get ONE in LA. Having CP3 at his best (whatever that is right now) is our best bet for a W.
Sure, but my point was that it improved from where it was in game 1. So it could be something that will continue to improve as the series progresses. I agree though that if he isn't capable of playing the way we need him to play in game three than just rest him and try and have him ready for game 4.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
How in the hell is he so confident the way the Lakers have been playing?

Even if they beat the Suns they are not going to win the west.

Allow me to elucidate: Skip Bayless is a frontrunning nitwit who doesn't know anything about sports.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m watching pieces of all these other playoffs and just can’t help but be pissed.

1st quarter of the 1st freaking playoff game in over a decade and our best player suffers a total freak injury.

so f’ed up.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I’m watching pieces of all these other playoffs and just can’t help but be pissed.

1st quarter of the 1st freaking playoff game in over a decade and our best player suffers a total freak injury.

so f’ed up.

Totally feel the same. It feels like we are what the Chicago Cubs used to be.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I still feel the Suns can win this series. I refuse to give up on the team. IMHO we are playing down to the Lakers (yeah I said it), standing around waiting for them to do something rather then goin at them full blast. We are better than we played the other night. If CP3 plays that's great try to protect him and get him out if he's not playing well.
There needs to be some points in the game when we go small and run those old bastards ragged. Lets see if Jevon can maybe slow down Shrooder(sp) etc.
Use the Damn bench! Use timeouts and the challenge well. Give Frank some of the mins Dario is suckin up. Dario and Craig had similar lines the other night and Dario played 15 min more than him. Its time to start using the team YOU built for the playoffs in the playoffs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use the Damn bench!

You could shout this a thousand times and it still wouldn't be enough.

I'm not saying we can't lose to LA but this Lakers team is very beatable, even without Chris Paul. But we can't beat them with a clearly damaged CP on the floor. And we have just the guys we need, they're sitting on the bench just waiting for a chance.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think a lot of you are underestimating the lakers and Paul’s loss. The lakers have the best defensive team in the nba. Even with Davis and Lebron missing large stretches of the season. That doesn’t happen by accident. Fans make the mistake of looking at a mediocre offensive team and thinking they aren’t good all the time while not realizing how good they are defensively. This lakers team is a very good defensive team.

now combine that with having two superstars, who are going to get superstar calls. We can complain about that all we want, but that’s been the way of the nba for as long as I’ve watched it.

the rancid cherry on top is Paul’s injury. If/when he plays right now he’s an unfortunate liability. If he doesn’t, as well as Payne has played he is definitely a step back. And that also impacts the play of the rest of the team as well. And it means Moore plays backup minutes which is a step back from Payne playing the backup minutes. Our depth should make the loss of any player not named Booker or Ayton not catastrophic, but it definitely hurts a lot. The fact it’s arguably our best, or co-best, player makes it hurt a lot more.

at full strength I think we would’ve taken this series in 5, maybe 6. Yes, I’ve seen that light. But unless we see (a) a miracle return to health by Paul, (b) the making of an elite level superstar in book and/or Ayton all of a sudden, or (c) a string of games where our squad comes up crazy from the arc, I have to be realistic and recognize the facts and circumstances just didn’t favor us this series.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to be realistic and recognize the facts and circumstances just didn’t favor us this series.

I don't disagree with this but favored and winning aren't the same thing. We know we can play much better than we have, and yes, so can the Lakers. We don't have to play much better than we have though to beat the Lakers team we've seen so far. All we can do is play better (and coach better) and hope that other team doesn't get up to full speed any time soon.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't disagree with this but favored and winning aren't the same thing. We know we can play much better than we have, and yes, so can the Lakers. We don't have to play much better than we have though to beat the Lakers team we've seen so far. All we can do is play better (and coach better) and hope that other team doesn't get up to full speed any time soon.
True, but now we will be in the most hostile environment we’ve faced all year. We’ve been a good road team this season, but it was mostly in front of paltry crowds. This will be the first in front of a hostile crowd that will likely impact the officials too.

I suspect we lose tonight. And maybe by a good margin. It will be interesting to see how the kids respond to adversity.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Time for D Book of old to come out and carry the Suns on a historic 50-50-50 point per game totals, while Ayton busts out 25-30 points per game and 15-20 boards. These two need to buy time for Paul. We are over matched, and playing two HOF players. Time to get the Bull Dog off the bench to shut Schroeder down! We can do this!!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel a little less nervous about game 3 than game 2, game 1 i had almost no anxiety.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns stayed with Chris Paul too long in game 2 which was winnable.

This is why and this video was before the game in warmups. Monty has to trust the other guards if Chris Paul is not ready to go.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns stayed with Chris Paul too long in game 2 which was winnable.

This is why and this video was before the game in warmups. Monty has to trust the other guards if Chris Paul is not ready to go.

wow. This video really flies in the face of the reports that Paul looked better in pre game warmups @CardsSunsDbacks . Man, that clip is painful to watch. Looks like either no strength or no control lifting the ball.

I love CP3 and he’s a warrior but that guy shouldn’t have been anywhere near the court Tuesday night.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like Suns need to win this game to be able to win this series.

I don't think Chris should play tonight unless he has made a miraculous recovery, which I highly doubt.

Do I like our chances without him, not really, but there is still a 20 - 25% chance they can win without him in my estimation.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
They should not bench Paul in order to gamble on Game 4. They need to do everything they can to win Game 3. If that means sitting Paul because he isn't in a position to help the team, then that's what it is. But if they go into Game 3 thinking, "Eh, this one's not that important, because we always have Game 4," the series is already over.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
wow. This video really flies in the face of the reports that Paul looked better in pre game warmups @CardsSunsDbacks . Man, that clip is painful to watch. Looks like either no strength or no control lifting the ball.

I love CP3 and he’s a warrior but that guy shouldn’t have been anywhere near the court Tuesday night.
The other super telling clip is the one where he rebounded a ball one-handed with his left hand when it was clearly going towards his right hand. That was the point that it was clear to me he was done and should have been benched.

Edit: 2nd rebound here

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel a little less nervous about game 3 than game 2, game 1 i had almost no anxiety.

I'm kind of the opposite. I had the most anxiety for game 1 and the least for tonight.

I think it is because unfortunatley I now expect a loss tonight, and am just hoping for the best.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard