Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been reading we have interest in Randle. Which I think most guys on the board would like. None of the articles I read indicate if the feeling is mutual from Randle.

I've read about Randle being a target also. I think that's why White makes a lot of sense, plus White fits the combo guard description of what we're looking for in Booker's backcourt mate.

I like the Harden comparison to a certain extent. He's not the MVP Harden but if people remember the ASU/OKC version of Harden, I can see White being similar to that. I think we'd be ok with him going forward and if we find an upgrade he would be a good 6th man or first guard off the bench also.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I've read about Randle being a target also. I think that's why White makes a lot of sense, plus White fits the combo guard description of what we're looking for in Booker's backcourt mate.

I like the Harden comparison to a certain extent. He's not the MVP Harden but if people remember the ASU/OKC version of Harden, I can see White being similar to that. I think we'd be ok with him going forward and if we find an upgrade he would be a good 6th man or first guard off the bench also.
He's not as good a finisher, but as a young guard, he's already learning the contact to get to the foul line thing. He does a lot of lateral to the basket drives like Harden used to do. That was what made me think of him. White doesn't have that change of direction to get to the hole like Harden yet. The thing that excited me was his making three's well back from the college stripe. I think his shooting percentage won't drop that much when he gets in the NBA.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
He's not as good a finisher, but as a young guard, he's already learning the contact to get to the foul line thing. He does a lot of lateral to the basket drives like Harden used to do. That was what made me think of him. White doesn't have that change of direction to get to the hole like Harden yet. The thing that excited me was his making three's well back from the college stripe. I think his shooting percentage won't drop that much when he gets in the NBA.
Plus it's how he's getting those 3's. The one on one step back 3 has become a potent weapon. White already shows a smooth and effective step back. Plus, he got incredible production at one of the elite schools.

My biggest concern with Coby is his mental make up. He doesn't come across highly cerebral in his interviews like Harden does. I don't know if his learning curve will incline at the same rate as his peers. Still, the kid can ball. He's my #1 choice after the big 3.

I think the true difference between White/Hunter/Culver/Reddish is razor thin. They all have equal parts potential and red flags. I don't see Garland in that mix. All 4 of the aforementioned will at least give you some quality minutes off the bench. I honestly have no idea what Garland will give you. I see him as a massive red flag when you consider his height, weight, injured knee, lack of play making ability for a PG, and lack of experience. All I see from him is a 6-2 scorer. And even then, at best, it will take him a few years to be productive. I just don't love taking him at #6.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he meant it sarcastic. We had Clark, who didn't do much with us, but has gone on to be a serviceable NBA player.

Earl Clark was far from serviceable. In his 6 years he played in 261 games (mostly garbage minutes) and his brief career included stops at Phoenix, Orlando, LA, Cleveland, New York and Brooklyn. He was slightly better than horrible during his stint with the Lakers but that was easily the highlight of his career.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I see him as a long striding Harden. With not as swervy moves. Basically the highlights I watched he shot NBA length three's or drove to the hoop and got the defender to foul him. The knock is defense. That HAS to improve as a big PG. Because during Igor, we would switch Ayton onto a guard and have that guard try and guard a big, having size at the PG is a BIG plus if that defensive pattern continues. I can see where Booker could throw out a last second pass to White and with his range and size he could get a shot up for us. Sometimes our smaller guards are unable to do this.

That defensive pattern should NEVER continue...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Only if we get a serviceable veteran to start ahead of him. There is zero way a rookie or the poo-poo platter we had last year should be starting at the point moving forward. If we are serious about a culture change, and it appears that at least Monty Williams is, we need to start with at least a serviceable starter at point guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only if we get a serviceable veteran to start ahead of him. There is zero way a rookie or the poo-poo platter we had last year should be starting at the point moving forward. If we are serious about a culture change, and it appears that at least Monty Williams is, we need to start with at least a serviceable starter at point guard.

I think Booker was a far more serviceable PG starter than you credit him and that was with very little help around him . Find an average guard to play next to him and an average PF that can defend and space the court and we'll be in good shape until we can fill those roles with what we really want. I'd much rather it be a good point guard but I just don't see one on the horizon for us.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Booker was a far more serviceable PG starter than you credit him and that was with very little help around him . Find an average guard to play next to him and an average PF that can defend and space the court and we'll be in good shape until we can fill those roles with what we really want. I'd much rather it be a good point guard but I just don't see one on the horizon for us.

I think you're overrating Booker's raw assist numbers without looking at the rest of the picture. When called upon to play the point, Booker was a turnover machine, especially down the stretch of games where his poor decision making cost us at least a half dozen games. He also couldn't defend the point. Finally, he was so spent from playing out of position at the point that his play at his natural shooting guard position suffered in the not often enough instances he got to play his natural position, with his shooting efficiency and defense especially suffering.

As a point guard, Booker is below average, while at his natural shooting guard position he is a potential Hall of Famer. Force him to continue playing the point, and it hurts the Suns at two positions and hurts Booker as well.

Nobody in their right mind would have asked Reggie Miller or Brandon Roy to play the point. Booker, whose game is basically the same, shouldn't be any different.

We don't need a star point guard, but we do at least need a serviceable point guard (or at least combo guard who can play the point better than Booker) next to Booker, so, as another poster noted, Booker can be Booker.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't think much of White.

Something about his game does not vibe with me. His game looks forced to me, not smooth. I think his absolute best case would be a Kyle Lowry or Chauncey Billups type but he looks like a backup PG to me.

Also minor but personally not a fan of players with huge hair. I feel like a true competitor would not rock such a big fro. Even if it is minuscule but I think just the extra weight from the hair and all that has to be a negative.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Something about his game does not vibe with me. His game looks forced to me, not smooth. I think his absolute best case would be a Kyle Lowry or Chauncey Billups type but he looks like a backup PG to me.

Also minor but personally not a fan of players with huge hair. I feel like a true competitor would not rock such a big fro. Even if it is minuscule but I think just the extra weight from the hair and all that has to be a negative.
I grew up with Dr. J and got the exact opposite impression! :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I have not been a White fan either, and could not put my finger on why exactly. But I think you just said it. His game looks forced--like he is playing at the very top of his ability. And yes, the hair is a distraction--though not a limitation like Elfrid's was.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker seems better at the two, but he has really improved as a pg. If he has a good guard to play alongside him to complement him, he will be fine.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker seems better at the two, but he has really improved as a pg. If he has a good guard to play alongside him to complement him, he will be fine.

I think so too but he does need to change a few things. I'm hoping that Monty's stay in San Antonio will have him borrowing from Pop's approach. No one gets his players to value each possession like that guy does. You make passes that gain you an advantage and are very safe, you don't just throw it somewhere looking for a highlight. And you react to the double team BEFORE it gets there, not after. But considering how much better he is at that position now compared to just a year ago, I feel very confident letting him run the offense some of the time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd take the upside of Kyle Lowry or Chauncey Billups. Even if White turns out to be no better than a backup he helps the Suns. They were incredibility weak at the point guard position.

If the hair does not get in the eyes, I can live with that.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I have not been a White fan either, and could not put my finger on why exactly. But I think you just said it. His game looks forced--like he is playing at the very top of his ability. And yes, the hair is a distraction--though not a limitation like Elfrid's was.

I haven't been following much of who will fall to us at number 6 because it will not make a difference to the Suns or we'll most likely trade it(my preference). anyway...

I just watched some Coby White highlights but wow he looks limited already. He has no elevation at all on his jump shot or while attacking the rim. There are highlights showing him finishing in the paint, yes, but he gets his shot off way too low and has no elevation. In other words he has no hang time for a guy full of highlights showing him "hanging" and finishing. Just looks like he'll get blocked so easily.

Edit: maybe its the hair but it seems like he's Conley at this stage of Conley's career.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think so too but he does need to change a few things. I'm hoping that Monty's stay in San Antonio will have him borrowing from Pop's approach. No one gets his players to value each possession like that guy does. You make passes that gain you an advantage and are very safe, you don't just throw it somewhere looking for a highlight. And you react to the double team BEFORE it gets there, not after. But considering how much better he is at that position now compared to just a year ago, I feel very confident letting him run the offense some of the time.

Other than assists per game, how has Booker become better as a point guard? Overall (including assist to turnover ratio, turnovers per game, fourth quarter turnovers, shooting efficiency at the point, defensive efficiency at the point, plus-minus at the point, team won-loss record etc.), I would argue he has actually become demonstrably worse.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
You mean Earl Clark?

Yep, thanks. Earl the pearl worked out so well for us so let's get another Clark (the e is silent).

Good call about Marion though, but I was trying to remember the similar sized player with the similar name.

I hope we have some new scouts because I'm not proud of our recent draft record (or player development). I understand it is a very difficult job, but I'm thinking if you're not producing results then you should be let go. No need to keep stinking the place up, thank you!

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I had the same impression of Coby White driving to the hoop. I was not impressed. It seems he gets very little elevation and hang time so I guess he'll get blocked a lot, but you can always play the Steve Nash (my god you rule) card and say footwork, ambidexterity, and a couple of other elite skills beats elite athleticism. I don't remember seeing much of a mid-range game in the highlight video I watched. Guess I'll take another look. I'm not sold on Garland either so maybe I'm starting to lean more on Coby White actually. There has been some good arguments in this thread.

Regarding point Book I am firmly in the we need a point guard camp at this stage. I am not ready to go the "two combo guards" path again, although two capable combo guards is better than an often injured Booker playing with a late first round rookie or a busted underachiever. Our main priority should be an NBA level point guard. I can endure another season with Warren and Bender at power forward (if we keep Holmes and Oubre).

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
At 6'5" you don't HAVE to jump high to get your shot off.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would argue he has actually become demonstrably worse.
Bookers left hand this past year makes this statement a joke. Booker is a top 10 offensive player with the ball in his hands on top of the key. Dam the stats thats just my view.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One point I'd like to make about White is he had an upward trajectory of improvement over the course of the season. He got better rather than plateaued or regressed. That's a good sign.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How often was White blocked in college? I know the level of competition is greater in the NBA but I'm curious if there is a site that records stats like that for NCAA play.

From what I've seen and read about him, this is the first I've heard about a fear of him getting a lot of shots blocked. It appears like he exerts the effort and energy needed to convert the play he's making and that's it. Unlike some guys he's not going to go above the rim to make a layup when he doesn't have to. I'd rather have a PG that plays smart than flashy and I think that's the difference between White and Garland. Garland is much flashier while White is more of a guy that won't look like he's done a lot until you see the boxscore. I could be wrong, he might end up being a backup in the NBA at best but I'd rather have a good backup than someone who can't stay healthy. White's floor is a backup, IMO, and Garland's floor is someone who can't stay healthy enough to make it past his rookie deal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave