Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often was White blocked in college? I know the level of competition is greater in the NBA but I'm curious if there is a site that records stats like that for NCAA play.

From what I've seen and read about him, this is the first I've heard about a fear of him getting a lot of shots blocked. It appears like he exerts the effort and energy needed to convert the play he's making and that's it. Unlike some guys he's not going to go above the rim to make a layup when he doesn't have to. I'd rather have a PG that plays smart than flashy and I think that's the difference between White and Garland. Garland is much flashier while White is more of a guy that won't look like he's done a lot until you see the boxscore. I could be wrong, he might end up being a backup in the NBA at best but I'd rather have a good backup than someone who can't stay healthy. White's floor is a backup, IMO, and Garland's floor is someone who can't stay healthy enough to make it past his rookie deal.

Players tend to learn how to get their shots off in traffic. He is athletic otherwise and shoots .800 from the free throw line which tells me he should only improve. If White had punched every button he would be going third in the draft with his height. This is not Kendall Marshall or Tyler Ennis we are talking about.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
How often was White blocked in college? I know the level of competition is greater in the NBA but I'm curious if there is a site that records stats like that for NCAA play.

From what I've seen and read about him, this is the first I've heard about a fear of him getting a lot of shots blocked. It appears like he exerts the effort and energy needed to convert the play he's making and that's it. Unlike some guys he's not going to go above the rim to make a layup when he doesn't have to. I'd rather have a PG that plays smart than flashy and I think that's the difference between White and Garland. Garland is much flashier while White is more of a guy that won't look like he's done a lot until you see the boxscore. I could be wrong, he might end up being a backup in the NBA at best but I'd rather have a good backup than someone who can't stay healthy. White's floor is a backup, IMO, and Garland's floor is someone who can't stay healthy enough to make it past his rookie deal.
I think White has more of an old man's game where he knows how to play below the rim more. That says to me he has more longevity. His game isn't dependent on speed or jumping out of the gym.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre-draft workouts start for the Suns on Thursday. It would be nice to know who.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

The Suns announced that pre-draft workouts begin Thursday-Sunday this week. There will be two groups of six prospects participating each day. We won’t know who’s participating until the morning of. Jones’ draft workout structure looks to be much different than Ryan McDonough.

3:14 PM - 28 May 2019

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is another intriguing candidate in the draft, center Nic Claxton (6'11.75"), who may be available at #32.

Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress

Source: Georgia's Nic Claxton has elected to keep his name in the NBA draft at the NCAA withdrawal deadline. Potential first round pick.

12:12 PM - 28 May 2019

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Here is the latest mock by CBS Sports.

They have Garland going to the Suns at #6 and White going to Chicago at #7.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...kipping-workouts-doesnt-hurt-zion-williamson/
I am not sure why. I am not seeing anything the teams are saying about their preferences. We were discussing how some guys put something on one mock and everyone copied it. I am starting to see Barrett at 4, and when the mocks started he was a solid three. It will be interesting to see who we bring in this week. Some interesting news for us to talk about finally! :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Duane Rankin but as the Suns beat writer, I'll take his order of White #6 to Phoenix and Garland at #7 to Chicago to be a more likely outcome than what CBS Sports is saying. He may be guessing but if any analyst can make an educated guess between those 2 PG's it's the guy who has been around the Suns for the last year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think White has more of an old man's game where he knows how to play below the rim more. That says to me he has more longevity. His game isn't dependent on speed or jumping out of the gym.
Says everyone trying to excuse a lack of athleticism.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Says everyone trying to excuse a lack of athleticism.
Lack of athleticism is not necessarily a bad thing. Dirk Nowitski developed an awesome fade away so he could get his shot off. Kareem learned a sky hook because he couldn't drive to the hoop like Dr J. Nikola Jokić is not the most nimble of guys. You play with the skills you develop. Skills last longer than athleticism is the point I was trying to make.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lack of athleticism is not necessarily a bad thing. Dirk Nowitski developed an awesome fade away so he could get his shot off. Kareem learned a sky hook because he couldn't drive to the hoop like Dr J. Nikola Jokić is not the most nimble of guys. You play with the skills you develop. Skills last longer than athleticism is the point I was trying to make.

The thing is, the player already has to be playing at a high level for that lack of athleticism to not matter. When you are projecting what a player can become, a lack of athleticism is almost always a limiting factor.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The thing is, the player already has to be playing at a high level for that lack of athleticism to not matter. When you are projecting what a player can become, a lack of athleticism is almost always a limiting factor.
I don't think so. Like I said, Nowitski didn't develop his fadeaway until after being drafted. Ditto for Kareem. Almost every great NBA move by an iconic player was developed after being drafted into the NBA. In fact, I have seen multiple players with unlimited athleticism never develop their full potential, or end up out of the NBA. Guys like Andrew Wiggins, Olowokandi, Lamar Odom, etc., never rose to their projected greatness.

Both White and Garland have played at top level college basketball in the USA, and that alone projects a decent chance to make the NBA. Both have opposite skills and athleticism. I more like the bigger guard with the bigger college background.

We are all guessing at these guys. I do disagree, unless the lack of athleticism is glaringly bad, that lack of athleticism is always a limiting factor. Guys develop skills and can overcome even lack of size. Steve Nash is a prime example of that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. Like I said, Nowitski didn't develop his fadeaway until after being drafted. Ditto for Kareem. Almost every great NBA move by an iconic player was developed after being drafted into the NBA. In fact, I have seen multiple players with unlimited athleticism never develop their full potential, or end up out of the NBA. Guys like Andrew Wiggins, Olowokandi, Lamar Odom, etc., never rose to their projected greatness.

Both White and Garland have played at top level college basketball in the USA, and that alone projects a decent chance to make the NBA. Both have opposite skills and athleticism. I more like the bigger guard with the bigger college background.

We are all guessing at these guys. I do disagree, unless the lack of athleticism is glaringly bad, that lack of athleticism is always a limiting factor. Guys develop skills and can overcome even lack of size. Steve Nash is a prime example of that.

You missed the point. I'm not saying they can't add skills later on but you're talking about players that were already elite. We're talking about questionable talents, trying to "guess" how they'll develop and at this stage a lack of athleticism is a huge restriction.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You missed the point. I'm not saying they can't add skills later on but you're talking about players that were already elite. We're talking about questionable talents, trying to "guess" how they'll develop and at this stage a lack of athleticism is a huge restriction.
So the only guy I have seen lately at the NBA level that meets what you say is Jimmer Fredette. Not trying to be funny. He looks like a sixth grader playing with high school kids. The lack of athleticism really shows in his game at the NBA level. Jared Dudley can even hang with other NBA players despite his obvious lack of conditionining. At the NBA level, at least guys playing now, the lack of athleticism is usually not as glaring as the lack of skills. So what I am saying, is I believe skills outrank athleticism when evaluating players at this level. Very rarely do you see guys at the top college level lacking so much in athleticism, like a Jimmer Fredette, and is much more likely to see guys fail because of not developing NBA level skills. Can guys get time to develop skills based on superior athleticism? Yes. However, that alone doesn't determine their ability to succeed in the NBA. I am saying I value skills over athleticism, and that college basketball in the US usually weeds out lack of athleticism.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the only guy I have seen lately at the NBA level that meets what you say is Jimmer Fredette. Not trying to be funny. He looks like a sixth grader playing with high school kids. The lack of athleticism really shows in his game at the NBA level. Jared Dudley can even hang with other NBA players despite his obvious lack of conditionining. At the NBA level, at least guys playing now, the lack of athleticism is usually not as glaring as the lack of skills. So what I am saying, is I believe skills outrank athleticism when evaluating players at this level. Very rarely do you see guys at the top college level lacking so much in athleticism, like a Jimmer Fredette, and is much more likely to see guys fail because of not developing NBA level skills. Can guys get time to develop skills based on superior athleticism? Yes. However, that alone doesn't determine their ability to succeed in the NBA. I am saying I value skills over athleticism, and that college basketball in the US usually weeds out lack of athleticism.

I agree with most of this but it's not at all what I was responding to. But here we are so I'm good.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol where is this idea that Coby White is not athletic coming from? He's big, fast, agile, has good body control in the air. The only thing he lacks is an explosive vertical, but he has more than enough lift to get the job done. And he is not the opposite of Garland. Garland is not an elite athlete. If anything, White is more athletic than Garland.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol where is this idea that Coby White is not athletic coming from? He's big, fast, agile, has good body control in the air. The only thing he lacks is an explosive vertical, but he has more than enough lift to get the job done.

You didn't address me but to be clear, I was only talking in general. I have no real first hand opinion on White as a prospect or in regards to his athleticism.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am mildly curious about how James Jones will handle all this. So far, all of Sarver's "waiting in the wings" hires have been disastrous. Hunter replacing Gentry, Watson replacing Hornacek, Triano replacing Watson. I guess Gentry was a "waiting in the wings" hire that went ok. Actually. Most of Sarver's hires have been bad.

Steve Kerr was not even a good hire. He is a much better coach than he was a GM.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am mildly curious about how James Jones will handle all this. So far, all of Sarver's "waiting in the wings" hires have been disastrous. Hunter replacing Gentry, Watson replacing Hornacek, Triano replacing Watson. I guess Gentry was a "waiting in the wings" hire that went ok. Actually. Most of Sarver's hires have been bad.

Steve Kerr was not even a good hire. He is a much better coach than he was a GM.

That's a great point, I never looked at it like that.

I believe McD was also a his hire? And he sucked too, I know that for sure.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I kept telling my wife that. I heard a segment on ESPN radio from Kerr's agent during that time period. Partially his failure as a GM in Phoenix, directly drove a driven person to go around the country and spend time with famous coaches in NBA, NFL, etc. Kerr was determined not to fail as a coach. From watching him on TNT, I kept telling my wife he was going to be a great coach, we just hired him for the wrong position in Phoenix. Kerr always had good coaching insights on TNT. Not necessarily good GM insights. When Sarver hired him, I thought he overhired.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I kept telling my wife that. I heard a segment on ESPN radio from Kerr's agent during that time period. Partially his failure as a GM in Phoenix, directly drove a driven person to go around the country and spend time with famous coaches in NBA, NFL, etc. Kerr was determined not to fail as a coach. From watching him on TNT, I kept telling my wife he was going to be a great coach, we just hired him for the wrong position in Phoenix. Kerr always had good coaching insights on TNT. Not necessarily good GM insights. When Sarver hired him, I thought he overhired.
It has proven true. Kerr had a good eye for talent, but he had no negotiating skills whatsoever. He was an easy mark in trades.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson