Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah it's all context. Funny thing is, and I brought this up earlier on a Politics thread, if we were just a bunch of guys sitting at a bar talking about the Suns in person, guaranteed all these conversations would be much different, and certainly much more cordial.
Agreed

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gina Mizell has put up a number of tweets about Clarke. I'm starting to wonder if these are hints.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It was a metaphor that obviously didn't resonate for you so I'll try another example. When you win a million dollar car it is usually unwise to just trade it straight up for a Kia simply because it better fits your lifestyle.

They need to make smart decisions which usually entails consideration of not just today but the future too.

Of course, I agree with your last sentence. My point was that, with the Suns history of futility in a decade of annual
"futures", they finally need to show substantial improvement now.

Or to put that another way, build on a strong foundation that features positive results that we have not seen in a
long time.

It isn't about a million dollar car vs. a Kia. It is about a billion dollar sports franchise that has been an embarrassment.

Sarver and his gang, all the fired GM's and Head Coaches who are still collecting and the million dollar players are driving
the million dollar cars. The fans are riding only in the Kia.

BTW, if only Suns management had the wherewithal to provide the same level of quality that Hyundai/Kia has achieved.
Chrysler and Nissan should have that level of quality.

Metaphors are clever, but they won't get the Suns into the playoffs. :)

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm torn. I like Hunter a lot more than I like White but White makes a more sense for us given that we have Bridges and probably Oubre.

White has a dangerously high bust-potential.

He can run, hit some crazy step-back jumpers and find the open man in transition. It's scary if that's all what your #6 offers.

I would stay away from White.

Garland, Culver and Hunter (probably in that order) are much better options.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He can run, hit some crazy step-back jumpers and find the open man in transition. It's scary if that's all what your #6 offers.

Like I said, I believe his ceiling is Leandro Barbosa. That being said, I would take White over Culver, but not over Garland or especially not over Hunter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely, I've been saying it for awhile. He has star potential but he's far more likely to bust IMO. I disagree on Garland though, I wouldn't touch him, certainly not with a lottery pick regardless of how weak this draft is projected to be. I like Culver and Hunter for our pick (or maybe Clarke if they're gone).

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Really good story by White in the Players Tribune. I definitely recommend the read:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Really good story by White in the Players Tribune. I definitely recommend the read:
OMG @offset Thanks for making me cry! How can you not want this kid on your team? To be able to let all that out? Similar to Monty Williams' story.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Wow. Just... wow.

Now I'm rooting for the young man no matter where he goes.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like I said, I believe his ceiling is Leandro Barbosa. That being said, I would take White over Culver, but not over Garland or especially not over Hunter.

I take Culver over White without hesitation, moreover I think it is extremely unlikely that White goes ahead of Culver.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Absolutely, I've been saying it for awhile. He has star potential but he's far more likely to bust IMO.

Actually I don't really see the star potential either. He is too short, unpolished and not athletic enough, IMO to be considered as someone with star potential.

I disagree on Garland though, I wouldn't touch him, certainly not with a lottery pick regardless of how weak this draft is projected to be.

The sample is very small, I know but he is very polished and explosive, has a quick release and a nice-looking jumper, changes speed and goes to places easily where he wants to.

I like Culver and Hunter for our pick (or maybe Clarke if they're gone).

Me too, both seem quasi-(NBA-)veterans who stick to their strengths and play under control.

Culver looks like someone who can share the backcourt with Booker, while Hunter might offer an overall upgrade over Warren as a PF and can play as a full-time SF as well.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I take Culver over White without hesitation, moreover I think it is extremely unlikely that White goes ahead of Culver.
I'm not so high on Culver either. When I watch his film I'm left uninspired. I suppose he could pull a Paul Pierce and make me look stupid, but I just don't see that high of a ceiling with him.

I love that he can be a good Defender. I think he'll improve as a 3pt shooter. I like his length. He's got great character. But I hate the fit here. I don't see his role on this team. He suffers from being good at lots of things, but not great at anything.

Since his ceiling doesn't look that high and we already have Book and Bridges, I'd pass on Culver at #6.

White has concerns too. But when I watch his film I can at least see the makings of a potential lethal scorer with play making ability. I'd take White over Culver. I'd take White at #6.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not so high on Culver either. When I watch his film I'm left uninspired. I suppose he could pull a Paul Pierce and make me look stupid, but I just don't see that high of a ceiling with him.

I love that he can be a good Defender. I think he'll improve as a 3pt shooter. I like his length. He's got great character. But I hate the fit here. I don't see his role on this team.

A Brogdon-like big combo G with good defense, secondary playmaking and dangerous (he need to improve heavily in this area) 3P-shooting.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
A Brogdon-like big combo G with good defense, secondary playmaking and dangerous (he need to improve heavily in this area) 3P-shooting.
I really like the Brogdon comp. And that's the problem. Brogdon is a good combo G. He's either a really good rotational back up guy to a quality PG and SG, or he's a starting SG with a stellar PG. But where does he fit here? Do you really see us winning anything with Brogdon starting at PG for us? I don't. And I like Brogdon. Heck, I like Culver. But I don't like either of them starting with Book.

That said, I'm not so hung up on ANY other player that I'd be that sad if we drafted Culver over him. He's going to be AT LEAST a solid rotational wing.

Honestly, I'd prefer trading back and getting Kabangele, or Fernando, or Bol. I see Kab as possible good rotation guy with a higher ceiling. Bruno would be a great back up C with Mark West potential to start. Bol just has an insane swing from floor to ceiling potential, so take a shot late.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sample is very small, I know but he is very polished and explosive, has a quick release and a nice-looking jumper, changes speed and goes to places easily where he wants to.

I can see reasons to draft Garland but there is risk with just about every player and I think it's important to manage that risk especially when you are drafting in the lottery. Garland's meniscus history adds just enough risk IMO to drop him from the conversation at 6.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the early picks after Barrett (likely #3) swing around Culver.

If Culver goes #4 or #5 there will be a point guard on the table (Garland or White) at #6. I think Garland goes #4. However, it would be interesting if Garland is there at their pick. It's hard to see them passing on him. I could see a trade down as well.