Suns have 6th pick and 32nd pick in 2019 draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, yeah. Thanks for this post. Brought me back down to earth.

Apologies to Ouchie...

everyone's on edge... except me. I've got ZERO expectations still and kind of in the mode I am with the Cardinals. I have literally no clue what to expect, so unless we do something so completely idiotic it makes me puke on my keyboard, I'm firmly in the hope for the best camp at this point.

I know we need a PG, but not sure on Coby and haven't seen anything of Garland. Our FA options aren't all that enticing unless we make major cap space. I guess I'd be happy if Deangelo signed here, but still a little leery of how atrocious our backcourt would be. etc etc... there's no perfect option this year so I really have very little strong opinions since we got punched in the gonads on lottery night.

I like Monty. I like that they brought in Bowers.

The only thing that will really probably make me made is if we drafted Culver and signed Rubio... but even then, Culver's getting a lot of love and even though I think Rubio sucks, at least he's a PG.

Basically... who the F knows.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When that much salary goes out, the salaries must still within a certain percentage of each other, regardless of whether the team taking on more salary has extra cap room.

I believe they have to be within twenty percent of each other. Which sounds like a lot, but when you start matching up these trades it can get infuriatingly small.

Both of these posts are flat out wrong. If you have the cap space to absorb the contracts you don't even need to send ANY salary the other way.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Where do you envision Hunter playing? I'm not at all convinced he can move to the 4 spot in the NBA. If we don't sign Oubre, he could play the 3/4 like Kelly does but otherwise he'd probably normally swing between the 3 and the 2 like Bridges does.

In my opinion, Hunter is the perfect stretch 4 to match with Ayton.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
But neither SF is particularly good, the Suns have two better SFs, and the number six pick is of questionable value.
In my opinion, sixth pick in a crappy draft, one NBA-level SF, and one young SF are a small price to pay for the best defensive PG in the NBA who can also score. This is especially true when you have two better SFs and only about one half of an actual NBA point guard. This would be an absolute steal for the Suns. They would literally have ideal point guard and small forward(s) to play alongside Booker. That's a whole lot of defense between Holiday, Oubre, Bridges, and even Johnson and Melton further down in rotation.
Exactly! When you have an overabundance of Small Forwards, you don't worry about giving up two of them to fill a greater need.

The greater need is becoming a winning team. By not having to play Small Forwards at Power Forward all season long, leaving
Ayton as the lone big man.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly! When you have an overabundance of Small Forwards, you don't worry about giving up two of them to fill a greater need.

The greater need is becoming a winning team. By not having to play Small Forwards at Power Forward all season long, leaving
Ayton as the lone big man.

Yes, that is the greater need. But you don't get rich by giving away money. And you don't make your team better in the long haul by making decisions that only consider current needs. I'm speaking in general here, not weighing in on whether we should give away a couple of small forwards

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes, that is the greater need. But you don't get rich by giving away money. And you don't make your team better in the long haul by making decisions that only consider current needs. I'm speaking in general here, not weighing in on whether we should give away a couple of small forwards
Aren't Sarver and his cronies getting rich enough? Their investment has lucked into a billion dollar windfall.

And considering the Suns futility over the past decade, generalizations haven't helped. They apparently
need to consider current needs to finally take the step out of the cellar, then look ahead.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Knicks reportedly locked on Barrett after working out Garland.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Vanderbilt guard Darius Garland had his workout with the Knicks today, but New York remains locked on selecting Duke’s RJ Barrett with the NBA Draft’s third overall pick on Thursday, league sources tell ESPN.

1:50 PM - 19 Jun 2019

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
NBA tv says we’re getting Garland.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Knicks reportedly locked on Barrett after working out Garland.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Vanderbilt guard Darius Garland had his workout with the Knicks today, but New York remains locked on selecting Duke’s RJ Barrett with the NBA Draft’s third overall pick on Thursday, league sources tell ESPN.

1:50 PM - 19 Jun 2019

What a shock (not).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
NBA tv says we’re getting Garland.
You must be registered for see images

Sadly, if the draft plays out that way, I can guarantee you that the Suns take Culver, much to my chagrin.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't Sarver and his cronies getting rich enough? Their investment has lucked into a billion dollar windfall.

And considering the Suns futility over the past decade, generalizations haven't helped. They apparently
need to consider current needs to finally take the step out of the cellar, then look ahead.

It was a metaphor that obviously didn't resonate for you so I'll try another example. When you win a million dollar car it is usually unwise to just trade it straight up for a Kia simply because it better fits your lifestyle.

They need to make smart decisions which usually entails consideration of not just today but the future too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pelicans may trade the pick to a team wanting Garland.

John Gambadoro‏Verified account @Gambo987

I would be very surprised if New Orleans keeps the 4th overall pick - way too much interest in trading for it so a team can draft PG Darius Garland. Should NO keep the pick I believe they would take Coby White but right now I expect some team moves up to 4 for Garland.

2:08 PM - 19 Jun 2019

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I like Naz Reid at 32. I don’t watch a lot of college outside of the PAC and the tourney but I watched this guy a few times an he has a sweet 3 point shot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Naz Reid at 32. I don’t watch a lot of college outside of the PAC and the tourney but I watched this guy a few times an he has a sweet 3 point shot.

He is also a banger. Reid is one of a handful on my radar at 32.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, Hunter is the perfect stretch 4 to match with Ayton.

Maybe but as I've said, I am not at all sure he'll be a better fit there than Oubre has been. Hunter is listed as a guard in Basketball Reference and he's sometimes projected as a wing in the NBA game but we have very little information about how he'd fare playing the 4 spot.

And just looking at his stats, he seems to be a pretty poor rebounder so it's hard to envision him as the "perfect" stretch 4. I do think whoever drafts him will try to use him there at times but I see him as a very good small forward when he hits his peak.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What is going on this board today? Do you really feel you need to lecture ME about how to post?

If people want to get a good player--no matter who it is (in this example Jrue was being discussed)--then you need to give up assets that the other team would think is valuable. Outside of the mediocre value of our #6 draft pick, TJ Warren is easily the best tradable asset we have. Do you agree or disagree? People want to have their cake and eat it to. GUARANTEED that any trade for any "star" player will include TJ Warren at the very least. The very LEAST. There is no way in hell we could acquire Russell, Jrue or any other star type player WITHOUT getting rid of TJ Warren. And arguments that he is "too valuable" to let go basically invalidate any discussion about acquiring that level of player.

I think Warren's improvement in 3point shooting make him worth keeping, however, he is 100% expendable if we can get a PG in return. Period.
I agree with the substance of what you wrote above. But what I quoted didn’t state what you are saying above. It changed it from discussing a package including Warren for Jrue to Warren for Jrue.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No worries. The funny thing is we fundamentally agree on the substance of the discussion.
Yeah it's all context. Funny thing is, and I brought this up earlier on a Politics thread, if we were just a bunch of guys sitting at a bar talking about the Suns in person, guaranteed all these conversations would be much different, and certainly much more cordial.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
AMEN

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave