Suns fire Jeff Hornacek

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
the part about our lack of young talent and dig at Booker is complete horse****.
McD has drafted very well. Name a more exciting recent draftpick than Booker. in the West I see only Towns.
Booker may just be the next face of the franchise depending on the 2016 draft.

Also Chandlers contract is not a factor at all. it is like 12% of the salary cap. It would be extra capspace that we couldn't spend anyway.
The next two years every team will have capspace but the amount of FA will sray limited. You won't get FAs without overpaying.

Also giving Hornacek a pass shows the author is not following the Suns at all. Hornacek by all accounts was heavily involved in all roster decisions.
The lineups in particular 2 playmaker lineup idea was imo clearly his idea.

He said Booker looks like a keeper, in which he does. I dont think he's implying his play didnt warrant a rising star invite.
Warren has been MIA for quite a stretch even with the limited minute given.
Len, is just Len. Were all waiting for him to turn the corner.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't really see any benefit for firing him now. I mean, any coach probably worth his salt is actively coaching on another team. Steve Nash? I don't know. It feels like more often than not great players don't translate into great coaches. Maybe Steve can coach but I would rather have a proven commodity.

By the way, did I read this wrong? This seems to indicate it's someone Nash knows but not Nash himself. Everybody starting down the Nash path?

I think Blatt and Thibs are pretty good coaches that I'd want that aren't actively coaching right now, especially Blatt if we're going to have a young team.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Rotoworld's blurb on it.

Suns fire Jeff Hornacek as head coach.

The move was first reported on Sunday evening, and it's now official. The Suns' official statement includes no quotes from any front office personnel, doesn't thank Hornacek for his contributions and is exactly five sentences long. You stay classy, Phoenix.

Source: Phoenix Suns on Twitter

Feb 1 - 9:21 AM

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't matter who they hire as coach, and possible future GM, as long as the nut is still the train conductor.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He said Booker looks like a keeper, in which he does. I dont think he's implying his play didnt warrant a rising star invite.
Warren has been MIA for quite a stretch even with the limited minute given.
Len, is just Len. Were all waiting for him to turn the corner.

Sure it did otherwise there's no reason to even mention it. As I said, he took every single aspect and presented it in the most negative light possible. Made it sound like the protracted Bledsoe negotiation was all our fault despite the fact it's been the modus operandi of his agent. Made it sound like Goran was an angel and that Ryan took a cheap shot out of the blue without pointing out that Dragic had just called McD a liar (a point he later retracted and then even later returned to). And so on. There is truth in almost everything he said but it isn't the truth, it's a hatchet job. And Warren has been injured dating back to at least the game where he was pulled for lack of effort.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The dig on Booker was strange. Like it's the Suns fault assistant coaches around the league didn't name him to the Rising Stars game?

And it might even have made a little sense if he'd said something like "thanks to the coaches not recognizing what they had in him he didn't even get enough playing time to earn his way onto the Rising Stars team". But no, he made it sound like Booker was a solid draft pick but nothing special because he wasn't even good enough for the Rising Stars team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Still not saying Nash would become a head coach, let alone our head coach, but I think the Warriors job is irrelevant. Even without the speculation, I doubt he would continue on with the Warriors in 2016-17.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can easily see Nash moving into the Suns FO if not as head coach.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would prefer to see Nash with a role in the front office or as an assistant coach rather than a head coach.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The reason I would not want Nash is if he doesn't fair well as a HC, then his playing days will be a little tarnished. Last guy I want to see fail at anyting

Exact same reason I wouldn't want him to be a head coach here either.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say this about Jeff, I honestly don't think he has the horses he needs to do anything. We have some potential guys and I think maybe the Suns thought we were not seeing enough out of those guys from a development perspective? Not sure that you would see a major difference with this same group of guys simply by changing out the coach. I could be wrong.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It doesn't cover as much ground as the hatchet piece but I agree, it's much more accurate. The only part I'd disagree with is concern over Booker's spot in the rotation. I think he's the starting 2 going forward even when everyone returns to health.

I hope you are right but I doubt it. I'm not sure Knight nor Bledsoe would be ok with being bench players after signing $70 million contracts. And if forcing them off the bench pisses them off and creates issues in the locker room then we would go through this whole Kieff type similar thing again. Of course if they trade Knight or Bledsoe before next season then it's a moot point.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I hope you are right but I doubt it. I'm not sure Knight nor Bledsoe would be ok with being bench players after signing $70 million contracts. And if forcing them off the bench pisses them off and creates issues in the locker room then we would go through this whole Kieff type similar thing again. Of course if they trade Knight or Bledsoe before next season then it's a moot point.

It will depend on whoever the coach is.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It doesn't cover as much ground as the hatchet piece but I agree, it's much more accurate. The only part I'd disagree with is concern over Booker's spot in the rotation. I think he's the starting 2 going forward even when everyone returns to health.

If that's the case then either Bledose or Knight need to go. How can you possibly justify paying one of those two all that $$ to sit the bench? Crazy... :bang:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I will say this about Jeff, I honestly don't think he has the horses he needs to do anything. We have some potential guys and I think maybe the Suns thought we were not seeing enough out of those guys from a development perspective? Not sure that you would see a major difference with this same group of guys simply by changing out the coach. I could be wrong.

This isn't about Jeff. I doubt it was McD who made the decision - unless Jeff went totally wild after the Dallas game and essentially got himself fired for being is antics.
I gotta believe Sarver and/or Babby forced this. And it's wrong of course...albeit inevitable.
Jeff's fate was sealed all the way back to the very moment when Marcus Morris chewed him out on court, and never had to deal with any repercussions for his actions - other than being traded (which is what he wanted). Jeff was essentially castrated right then and there. And then Keef instantly becomes a malignant, cancerous tumor.
Yes, giving Bledsoe, and then Knight, all that $$ was stupid as well... And in hindsight, getting rid of Goran and Thomas looks like the wrong decisions.
But I still believe the bigger issues were the Morris twins and how Sarver/Babby/McD chose to not deal with them.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If that's the case then either Bledose or Knight need to go. How can you possibly justify paying one of those two all that $$ to sit the bench? Crazy... :bang:

If your starter is on a rookie deal, you can afford to have a higher-paid player on the bench. Don't get me wrong- I hope that either (or preferably both) of the combo guards are sent packing before the next season, but even if they are not, one of them coming off the bench is fine.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This isn't about Jeff. I doubt it was McD who made the decision - unless Jeff went totally wild after the Dallas game and essentially got himself fired for being is antics.
I gotta believe Sarver and/or Babby forced this. And it's wrong of course...albeit inevitable.
Jeff's fate was sealed all the way back to the very moment when Marcus Morris chewed him out on court, and never had to deal with any repercussions for his actions - other than being traded (which is what he wanted). Jeff was essentially castrated right then and there. And then Keef instantly becomes a malignant, cancerous tumor.
Yes, giving Bledsoe, and then Knight, all that $$ was stupid as well... And in hindsight, getting rid of Goran and Thomas looks like the wrong decisions.
But I still believe the bigger issues were the Morris twins and how Sarver/Babby/McD chose to not deal with them.

I agree, but I am not sure trading Dragic was the wrong thing to do. I am a huge fan, but not at the price Miami was willing to pay. That said, I would love to watch him play with Booker and Warren as the lead PG, but that ship sailed long ago.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Hope y'all ready to welcome a familiar face back at HC. Like it or not, which I do. Its going to happen. Saver and Nash spent a lot of time talking recently and both are friends of this person.

Native

It is the right thing to do which means it probably will not happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison