Suns draft picks 2014

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
2014 1st round pick (Suns)
2014 1st round pick (Timberwolves, top-13 protected in 2014, top-12 protected 2015-16)
2014 1st round pick (Pacers, top-14 protected 2014 through 2019)
2014 2nd round pick (Lakers)

Why are some people on this forum saying 4 first rounders next year? Is this wrong? what am I missing?

Off the topic......Heard some rumblings that Dragic was told by Suns he will be used most as an off guard and he doesn't like it. Dont know if its 100 % true but he reportedly told his agent he is not happy with this and he signed a contract to play the point guard not small guard so maybe they are going to push for a trade. I guess we will se how this develops.

Thank you for clarifying draft situation for 2014.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
2014 1st round pick (Timberwolves, top-13 protected in 2014, top-12 protected 2015-16)

Why are some people on this forum saying 4 first rounders next year? Is this wrong? what am I missing?

Off the topic......Heard some rumblings that Dragic was told by Suns he will be used most as an off guard and he doesn't like it. Dont know if its 100 % true but he reportedly told his agent he is not happy with this and he signed a contract to play the point guard not small guard so maybe they are going to push for a trade. I guess we will se how this develops.

Thank you for clarifying draft situation for 2014.

We just acquired a top 12 protected pick from the Wizards. Did you not notice that Gortat was traded? :)

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
2014 1st round pick (Wizards, top-12 protected)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
2014 1st round pick (Wizards, top-12 protected)

You can include the Suns second round pick likely to be in the 30's.

Here is a link if one can figure it out. The second round gets a bit confusing for the Suns.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Suns.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
We just acquired a top 12 protected pick from the Wizards. Did you not notice that Gortat was traded? :)

Lol dumb topic of the decade. For some reason thought article I found with the picks was updated and Wolves pick was from the Wizards. Delete topic mods? Makes no sense. Thanks

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Lol dumb topic of the decade. For some reason thought article I found with the picks was updated and Wolves pick was from the Wizards. Delete topic mods? Makes no sense. Thanks

I think the topic is more than legitimate. Threads are almost always updated with additional information.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. Its a good topic. So we have 6 picks in this draft?

4 first rounders, an early second rounder and wherever the Lakers pick ends up. Wow

It will be interesting to see what players drop where. This college season will see some hyped players drop back and some new ones come out of no where, and then there are the international players.

You get the impression that McDonough just loves this stuff. He's such a scout-geek.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yep. Its a good topic. So we have 6 picks in this draft?

That's a maximum, depending on how other teams finish in the regular season. Some of the picks owed to the Suns may not be conveyed until later.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a maximum, depending on how other teams finish in the regular season. Some of the picks owed to the Suns may not be conveyed until later.

The Indiana pick will almost certainly be conveyed since they are likely to make the playoffs.

The Minny pick is a possibility. We thought they would make the playoffs last year but then Love went down with an injury. He seems injury prone. This pick will probably depend on Kevin Love's health. BTW, I do not want to pursue him. I do not think he has the ability to be a number one option on a championship team and I think he is too injury prone to sink lots of money into.

The Washington pick is intriguing. They should make the playoffs, but that really depends on how Gortat plays. They were close last year, but frankly Gortat is not as good a center as a healthy Okafor. Their other young players will have to develop.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And as Suns fans we need to remember the history of the draft and Suns. From the coin flip to ATL's top 3 protected pick to the Lakers pick (last year) that could have been a lottery pick, but wasn't.

Here's how it'll play out...
The Suns will again miss out on the #1 overall and get their pick. Probably around #4.
The Wizards just won't be good enough and will end up with #12
Minny will suffer a catastrophic injury and end up a lottery team. Winning the lottery with the #1 overall pick.
The Pacers pick should be safe, probably 22-28.

The odds of the Suns actually getting 4 firsts in this draft go against them and their history, but hopefully I'm wrong.

OP
OP
K

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
And as Suns fans we need to remember the history of the draft and Suns. From the coin flip to ATL's top 3 protected pick to the Lakers pick (last year) that could have been a lottery pick, but wasn't.

The Suns will again miss out on the #1 overall and get their pick. Probably around #4.
Minny will suffer a catastrophic injury and end up a lottery team. Winning the lottery with the #1 overall pick.

The odds of the Suns actually getting 4 firsts in this draft go against them and their history, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Lol classic. I think its actually time for Suns to get lucky and get some ping pong balls go their way. It is long overdue maybe this is the year. I believe:)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How about this one:

The Wizards just miss the playoffs and end up 13th of the 14 lotto teams. Minny ends up the 14th. Both teams strike it rich in the lotto coming up one and two. The Suns own pick ends up three. Indiana struggles all year with injuries just sliding into the playoffs. Suns end up with picks 1, 2, 3, and 15.

They draft wiggins, Parker, and Randle and trade the 15th pick along with the Morris twins for Embiid.

Dreaming can go both ways.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about this one:

The Wizards just miss the playoffs and end up 13th of the 14 lotto teams. Minny ends up the 14th. Both teams strike it rich in the lotto coming up one and two. The Suns own pick ends up three. Indiana struggles all year with injuries just sliding into the playoffs. Suns end up with picks 1, 2, 3, and 15.

They draft wiggins, Parker, and Randle and trade the 15th pick along with the Morris twins for Embiid.

Dreaming can go both ways.

Thats not how it works. If the Wiz and Minny get lucky with the ping pong balls and move up from the back of the lotto they keep the pick, its not protected based on where they finish in the standings, just based on where they are in the actual draft.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Thats right... remember when we had a pick coming from Atlanta, I think it was, they jumped from 6 to 3 in the lottery draw and we didn't get their pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Thats right... remember when we had a pick coming from Atlanta, I think it was, they jumped from 6 to 3 in the lottery draw and we didn't get their pick.

It turned out to be Horford. Too bad the Suns couldn't snag him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It turned out to be Horford. Too bad the Suns couldn't snag him.

But remember, Horford was pretty much expected to go #3 in that draft, so there's little chance that the Suns could have gotten him. The highest they could have picked was #4, by which time Horford would probably have been gone. The next three players taken were Mike Conley, Jeff Green, and Yi Jianlian -- whom the Suns were reportedly high on -- so even though they missed out, they didn't miss out as badly as it seemed at the time. (Of course, maybe the Suns would have been smart and snagged Joakim Noah, who ended up going at #9, but I think I remember reading that they weren't that interested in him.)

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
But remember, Horford was pretty much expected to go #3 in that draft, so there's no way the Suns could have gotten him. The highest they could have picked was #4, by which time Horford would probably have been gone. The next three players taken were Mike Conley, Jeff Green, and Yi Jianlian -- whom the Suns were reportedly high on -- so even though they missed out, they didn't miss out as badly as it seemed at the time. (Of course, make the Suns would have been smart and snagged Joakim Noah, who ended up going at #9, but I think I remember reading that they weren't that interested in him.)

You managed to make be feel better until you mentioned Noah. The Suns might have gone for him. They have had a complex about centers since they missed out on the coin flip for Kareem.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thats not how it works. If the Wiz and Minny get lucky with the ping pong balls and move up from the back of the lotto they keep the pick, its not protected based on where they finish in the standings, just based on where they are in the actual draft.

Oh duh. Brain fart. Of course. Sorry.

It is an interesting idea. Limit protections to pre-lottery position only.

Last edited:

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
The Wizards finally got their first win. Still doesn't look like a playoff team, so I won't expect to see their pick in '14.

Wolves are looking excellent. If they remain healthy, it's a certain pick for Phoenix, although it might be lower than expected.

The Pacers just crushed Chicago, are at 5-0 and look like one of the teams to beat. The pick is ours but will sit between 27 and 30.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. The best draft in years and guess what. The bad teams this year are the Lakers, Boston, Knicks, and so far Chicago.

Can you imagine if those teams ended up with the top 4 picks?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. The best draft in years and guess what. The bad teams this year are the Lakers, Boston, Knicks, and so far Chicago.

Can you imagine if those teams ended up with the top 4 picks?

I think 2 of them are definitely headed to the top of the lottery class and I wouldn't rule out the Lakers joining them. Chicago has too much talent to stay down.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am sort of hoping that at least one of the major prospects stays in school. Maybe we can nab him with the Laker's pick the next year.

As I look at prospects, Jabari Parker seems to remind me of Grant Hill. Highly skilled, very athletic, very intelligent.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I am sort of hoping that at least one of the major prospects stays in school. Maybe we can nab him with the Laker's pick the next year.

As I look at prospects, Jabari Parker seems to remind me of Grant Hill. Highly skilled, very athletic, very intelligent.
Doubtful considering the Lakers pick is top 5 protected.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But remember, Horford was pretty much expected to go #3 in that draft, so there's little chance that the Suns could have gotten him. The highest they could have picked was #4, by which time Horford would probably have been gone. The next three players taken were Mike Conley, Jeff Green, and Yi Jianlian -- whom the Suns were reportedly high on -- so even though they missed out, they didn't miss out as badly as it seemed at the time. (Of course, maybe the Suns would have been smart and snagged Joakim Noah, who ended up going at #9, but I think I remember reading that they weren't that interested in him.)

I might have it screwed up, but I thought Noah was reportedly the guy they DID like out of that group, to the extent that there were rumors of the Suns considering trading up to get him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn