Suns @ Clippers Wednesday WCF game thread 6-30-2021 - Game 6

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Suns were switching everything way too easy last game. This allowed the clips to get the matchups they wanted. They singled out Booker early I believe.

Zone. Suns finally ran some switching/screens with the corner guy and the guy up top in the 4th iirc. We will need more of that.

game 5 reminded me of the Nash era where the Spurs just shut down the nash amare pNr because that’s all we ran. Least back then we ran it at different angles on different parts of the court.
I agree on the switching. We didn’t battle to avoid it. We literally just acquiesced and book walked into the Morris sawmill every time. I get that switching is our regular defense, but my god adjust if that’s killing you.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Crowder needs to stop shooting threes. I blame our losses as much on his three shooting as anything. He's only had one game shooting a good percentage from the the arc that I remember...in the whole playoffs!
Aside from bringing toughness that is the primary reason they brought him in. You can't tell the guy you brought in to shoot 3's to stop. Someone posted a stat on another forum. When Crowder and Bridges score at least 10 and make 3's the Suns almost always win. When they don't they almost always lose. They simply need to hit shots and be more selective. If they don't fall get your ass to the rim, rebound and put back.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Then you can’t play him. You can’t have a guy who receives the ball with a shot he’s supposed to take and have him not take it. It allows the defense to play 5 on 4. We are already struggling against 5 on 5.

We got so many guys better than Crowder at shooting the three. He's really blowing it. He doesn't have some green light from there. He should at least drive to the Hoop if he's cold from the arc. I've seen enough of his ice cold ways.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Aside from bringing toughness that is the primary reason they brought him in. You can't tell the guy you brought in to shoot 3's to stop. Someone posted a stat on another forum. When Crowder and Bridges score at least 10 and make 3's the Suns almost always win. When they don't they almost always lose. They simply need to hit shots and be more selective. If they don't fall get your *** to the rim, rebound and put back.

Yeah you can tell him to cool it from the three...its called coaching. He's ice cold and he'll shoot us out of the Finals if this continues

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can tell him to cool it from the three...its called coaching. He's ice cold and he'll shoot us out of the Finals if this continues
What's called coaching? Telling the guy you brought in to shoot 3's to not take them? No that's called stupidity. As I stated, you can tell him to be more selective about when he does and emphasize if it's not falling to do the other stuff. His job is to stretch the floor. Against this zone that is even more important. Shooters shoot themselves out of slumps. We might live or die by Bridges and Crowder for sure but the stats don't lie about our wins/losses when they are making 3's verses not making them. If I can find the numbers I will post them here.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's curious why the Suns went away from Craig for Nader.

Because Nadar will drive to the basket when the play breaks down, and he is a slightly better 3 point shooter.

He is only a slightly worse defender. I am completely fine with Monty's decision to play Nadar

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Suns were switching everything way too easy last game. This allowed the clips to get the matchups they wanted. They singled out Booker early I believe.

Zone. Suns finally ran some switching/screens with the corner guy and the guy up top in the 4th iirc. We will need more of that.

game 5 reminded me of the Nash era where the Spurs just shut down the nash amare pNr because that’s all we ran. Least back then we ran it at different angles on different parts of the court.
Yes, I said the same thing. Reminds me of how the Spurs shut down our offense. Ugh

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I said the same thing. Reminds me of how the Spurs shut down our offense. Ugh
This. This sure feels like it did when our offense completely stalled. This definitely has shades of that same frustration. Let's home Monty is better than Pringles at adjustments.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
For better or worse, Crowder (as well as Bridges and Cam J) have to take open threes. You can't play four (or three) against five on offense. If Clippers pack the lane, you really have no other choice. Additionally, mid-range game is something that Paul and Booker do extremely well, but most players don't have that in their arsenal. Bridges and Cam J can drive a bit, but Crowder just doesn't have that ability. He can defend and shoot open threes. As @Covert Rain pointed out, shooters shoot themselves out of slumps, and the Suns very well may live or die by Crowder and Bridges taking those open threes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Nadar will drive to the basket when the play breaks down, and he is a slightly better 3 point shooter.

He is only a slightly worse defender. I am completely fine with Monty's decision to play Nadar

I like Nader but Craig has the ability to play small ball center and power forward which is important with the forward oriented lineups of the Clippers.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For better or worse, Crowder (as well as Bridges and Cam J) have to take open threes. You can't play four (or three) against five on offense. If Clippers pack the lane, you really have no other choice. Additionally, mid-range game is something that Paul and Booker do extremely well, but most players don't have that in their arsenal. Bridges and Cam J can drive a bit, but Crowder just doesn't have that ability. He can defend and shoot open threes. As @Covert Rain pointed out, shooters shoot themselves out of slumps, and the Suns very well may live or die by Crowder and Bridges taking those open threes.
This. I will say that Crowder sometimes takes stupid 3's with people in his face or panic 3's. That kind of stuff he can minimize. Take them when you are wide open. Don't force them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Nader but Craig has the ability to play small ball center and power forward which is important with the forward oriented lineups of the Clippers.

It depends on the matchup. Craig is a hustler and banger, like PJ Tucker, but he's not that good at challenging bigger players shots. Nader and Craig are a wash defensively, IMO, but since Craig's shot hasn't been falling, I'd go with Nader as well. I know the whole "hasn't played in 2-3 months" counter to that but he's also someone the Clippers haven't game planned or scouted for much at all. He creates a different look for us and throws them off more than Craig.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swear to all that is holy if I see Nader or Moore in this next game I am seriously going to question Monty's decision making. Moore and Nader have contributed nothing. Go with the guys that got you here if you need to fill in some minutes.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It depends on the matchup. Craig is a hustler and banger, like PJ Tucker, but he's not that good at challenging bigger players shots. Nader and Craig are a wash defensively, IMO, but since Craig's shot hasn't been falling, I'd go with Nader as well. I know the whole "hasn't played in 2-3 months" counter to that but he's also someone the Clippers haven't game planned or scouted for much at all. He creates a different look for us and throws them off more than Craig.

I think they gameplan Nader as much as they gameplan around Craig.

Craig is a better rebounder and a guy who creates an extra possession or two while he's in.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
That picture will represent Beverly for the rest of his career. He's a jester.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I have Clippers fans that I know that think that play is all the Suns fault. They say Beverly was pushed and that's why he ended up submarining Paul. This is tribal. One teams fans see a play one way, while the other teams fans see it differently.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have Clippers fans that I know that think that play is all the Suns fault. They say Beverly was pushed and that's why he ended up submarining Paul. This is tribal. One teams fans see a play one way, while the other teams fans see it differently.

The play was dirty for sure but that's typical Beverley. How someone can excuse his taunting afterwards is a completely different story. That's where it goes beyond being a Suns or Clippers fan and calling it out for the classless thuggery it was as a basketball fan. There's no place in the game to celebrate clipping someone's legs like that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What's called coaching? Telling the guy you brought in to shoot 3's to not take them? No that's called stupidity. As I stated, you can tell him to be more selective about when he does and emphasize if it's not falling to do the other stuff. His job is to stretch the floor. Against this zone that is even more important. Shooters shoot themselves out of slumps. We might live or die by Bridges and Crowder for sure but the stats don't like about our wins/losses when they are making 3's verses not making them. If I can find the numbers I will post them here.
Yup. All this. If he’s on the floor he has to shoot for spacing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t believe Nader has hit a shot either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s amazing how dirty plays and injuries Beverley is forced into by the other team. When there’s a pattern look to the common variable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson